💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Chained to the Rhythm flopping?

Muscletank

Featured Posts

Muscletank

Is Katy Perry following the first single reversal of Fortunes of Gaga and Britney by have a lead single from a new album fail to meet expectations. After an initial strong start at no 4 on the hot 100, Chained to the Rhythm falls to no 8 despite the release of the video last week. Will it rebound back up?

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7702239/hot-100-ed-sheeran-shape-of-you-fifth-week

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WildAmerican

Flop by her standards. Still getting decent Streams and Radio play tho. It has peaked in every market. Won't go above 4 in the US.

Arturo

The only objective answer is that it's a hit. No it's not a smash, but it's doing fine on radio and streaming and alright in sales. 

PartySick

#8 is still something to be proud of though :laughga:

At least I think it is. Her single is outselling thousands of others and is currently only outsold by 7. If that's a failure then...idk :ph34r:

Spoiler

But I think all this importance on charts is dumb in the first place so ignore my opinions :spin:

#MusicNotTheBling #EvenKatyPerry

🖤

If you're comparing lead singles, it's holding up much better than both Perfect Illusion and Make Me. And is it a flop if you debut with a Top 5 then stay in the Top 10/20s for a few weeks after?

JohnWayne23

It's a hit for a regular pop star.

It's an underperformance for a pop star at her level. 

She's kinda  "Erotica"ing.

Mister Gaga
6 minutes ago, GrigioBoys said:

I'm telling you, 4th albums are cursed for pop girls. 

In The Zone by Britney Spears disagrees :sure:

--

It's underperfoming for her standars, but it's doing ok anyway, like Applause did back in 2013. It's not flopping, that's for sure. It has already peaked tho, it won't go above #4 unless something unexpected happens (the video is already out, she's already performed the song on two big award shows...there's nothing left to promote the song).

FrankGutz

Tbh the Spotify deal did wonders to her, idk what would happened if streams didnt count to BB like it used to in the PRISM/ARTPOP era

Dᴄ • Dᴀʀᴋ Hᴏʀsᴇ | Hᴏʀʀᴏʀ • Tʜʀɪʟʟᴇʀ | Eʟᴇᴄᴛʀᴏɴɪᴄ | Fɪᴛɴᴇss | Mᴀɴᴅʏ Mᴏᴏʀᴇ • Lᴀᴅʏ Gᴀɢᴀ • Sᴏᴘʜɪᴇ Bᴇxᴛᴏʀ

JusKeepBreathin
11 minutes ago, GrigioBoys said:

I'm telling you, 4th albums are cursed for pop girls. 

Gaga, Beyonce, Rihanna, Britney....

Even Madonna's fourth album sold half what her third did but it was still huge.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

It's a hit :shrug: No it's not the kinda numbers that Katy has seen before - but nobody could sustain that level of success. Same thing goes for Gaga, same thing will occur for Taylor (If not her next project, the one after that).

Gaga has been able to keep her foot in the music industry as a dominant force by diversifying - Musically C2C legitimized her as a vocal talent and led to opportunities like SOM and the SB National Anthem and she was able to perform tributes to Sting and Stevie Wonder that also led to opportunities such as her Grammy Bowie tribute.

She also dipped her feet into the acting world by starring in AHS that won her a golden globe and no doubt contributed to her scoring a lead role in ASIB and contributing to the soundtrack. Beyond that she was able to use her fashion contacts to try fashion editing for V mag and so on. She might not get to TFM level again, but she is showing signs of a strong and healthy career and her long-term prospects look good.

It will be interesting to see whether Katy will be able to diversify in the same way - That's going to be a test for her. 

Muscletank
4 minutes ago, JustLikeHoney said:

Even Madonna's fourth album sold half what her third did but it was still huge.

Are you referring to Who's That Girl Soundtrack or Like a Prayer?

JusKeepBreathin
4 minutes ago, Muscletank said:

Are you referring to Who's That Girl Soundtrack or Like a Prayer?

Like a Prayer, I just went with studio albums not soundtracks. It sold about ten million less worldwide than its predecessor.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Archived