Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Why 'Make Me' is failing

GloZell Green

Featured Posts

GloZell Green

Hear me out. This is not intended to bash Britney, I love her music and I love Make Me a lot. This is my first music analysis and I always wanted to try this out.

Today I logged onto Twitter to see something that was disappointing. Britney Spears' new single 'Make Me' dropped 50 spots on the UK charts, from #42 to #92. Even the mediocre 'Pretty Girls' was able to debut higher, entering the chart at #16 (eventually falling to #55, #80, and then falling off the chart). Yes it's true that Britney hasn't been huge in the UK after the disappointing 'Britney Jean' album, but I'm genuinely curious to why this song isn't doing well despite the song being a return to her "roots" as some fans claim. Obviously, the commercial performance does not affect my opinion on the song, but it's sad to see it falling. The song currently sits at #91 on the Worldwide iTunes Song Chart (according to Kworb), falling 38 spots from its previous position. The song is not found within the Top 100 in the UK iTunes Store, and it sits at #51 in the US iTunes Store, with dark red updates. The song is also falling in the US and UK Spotify charts. It's radio spins don't show the same pattern though, as it stays stable at #23.

Time to analyze. There are multiple problems with the promotion and how her team manages releases. First of all, the live promotion, as in performances. Britney is set to perform for the iHeart Radio festival I believe, but that's in September, far away. There are also hopes for her to perform at the VMAs in August, reasonable, right? But there's that one thing that screws up the promotional schedule; Piece of Me. Her Vegas Residency is set to end on February 4th. I think this residency truly messes up every chance that Britney has to promote her new single. She has gaps in between each leg to promote but she's also a mother, so add that to her list. Leg 14 ended on the 13th, and the 15th leg is set to start on August 17. I don't know why she hasn't gone off to promote the single on shows. It might be a problem with her management, seeing as how they tend to lack a lot.

There's also the question of the music video. We have seen that there is a long snippet of the music video up on Vimeo, not the length of the the entire song, but we're assuming that they have that scene completely filmed. There are also leaks that show her covered in glitter in a cage. With all of this in mind, I'm assuming that they have the footage. So why hasn't the video been released? People have been bringing up two possible reasons; Britney doesn't like the video, or the video isn't done being edited. Britney said that the video was empowering in her Tumblr Ask, but there's no sight of it. Rumor has it that she doesn't like the director's cut, which is the one that RCA is pushing for release. Other people are saying that the editor takes really long to edit videos. It's been two weeks since the song was released, but we were treated to behind the scene images months back. The video release could push  the song up, and get people talking with the controversial director's cut.

Basically, what I'm saying, is that the song is failing due to the fact that there's no promotion being done for the song besides the radio treatment. RCA needs to get their **** together because this song does not deserve to flop :gaycat: 

Lady Gaga | Shakira

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DiscoHeaven23

Not bashing ur post at all cuz i didn't even read it lol. 

But the song is doing pretty well, i have faith. Its a grow'er, so its not yet a show'er. 

I've heard "Make Me" on the radio more times now, than i ever heard Work Bitch and Pretty Girls combined. 

Pierre

She just need to release the video, and see how it goes.  

❝Is not blue, not turquoise, not lapis. It's actually cerulean❞.

Gaga Lazuli

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.swow too much to read...

I think they should've released the song like a week before starting the promotion like performances and all that, because in my opinion now it is kinda late to start promoting it, also I have heard it in the radio several times but who knows maybe in does well later on. 

Little Monsters Torture Me

Loyalty

The least she could of done was promote it with performances and a music video considering the fact her last era flopped. 

I'm not saying Make me is a bad song it's just that her team haven't put any effort into getting it out there... 

LaLuna
1 minute ago, ferretti said:

It's also not a great song  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

And there you have it. 

/thread

elijahfan
6 minutes ago, ferretti said:

It's also not a great song  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

This. Quite frankly, at some point, it's not rocket science: if the song's not great, people don't buy.

JesseBabe

I just think people have a hard time accepting the fact that she just doesn't promote hardly at all anymore. Like when was the last time she was out promoting her work, Circus, Femme Fatale? She just kinda releases a song and the video and then moves on with her life. I mean, of course as a Britney fan I want her to do good, but she's been in the game for so long. The new artists today wish they could have the longevity of Britney's career. I don't think she really cares about being number 1 anymore, because I feel like if she did, her team would promote her better. I mean, why the hell did Katy need a whole iTunes banner to promote Rise? Why couldn't Britney's team do something like that? Her team could utilize their resources better I think.

donutellha

I think it just needs a little more promo and for the video to be finished! :awkney:

Walk down the runway but don't puke, it's okay. You just had 10 donuts today. Without frosting.

Iwontell

There's still a video to come out and a performance at the VMAs...I don't think this song is going to be a huge hit, but it might get bigger with time...look how long it took for "cheap thrills" to catch on...

ATTENTION: (bad) jokes and sarcasm are still a thing, so don't take everything I say literally. Thank you.

Regina George

I love Britney and Make Me. I love your analysis! And I want to ask people who say that there's too much to read:

Why are you on the forum if you don't like to read? :awkney:

PopThatArt

Zero promo, same thing all the time, she never grows up musically, so many factors, redundant themes, same sound all the time, she follows instead of leads, so many things! 

Go see A Star is Born

Archived