💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

Horror Media Discussion

n0ne

Featured Posts

Lina Morgana
14 hours ago, Red said:

Now, seriously, is The Conjuring (and the other movies of the series) good? I haven't watched new horror movies for years cause I find them all tacky but people say it is good and I want to give a try :emma: 

It's good if you're a casual horror fan who only watches major studio horror films.

" I can't sing, I can't dance, I can't write... no real talent. But I'm pretty, and I can make money off pretty."

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Miker
3 hours ago, Cage Appleby said:

Jeepers Creepers is another favorite of mine! I dont think it was particularly scary, and it didn't rely on cheap jump scares like a lot of modern horror films. But the premise was truly creepy. 

Thanks for the reminder. I thought Jeepers Creepers 1 & 2 were amazing. The anticipation of this monster that you rarely saw but you could see and hear the damage it created was truly fearful. 

Mars..........or bust!

Pacify Him

I frequent bloody-disgusting.com for this kind of thing...

I’m getting on your nerves

n0ne

I'd also like to get peoples' opinion on what makes something horror vs thriller.

I think slasher is a subgenre that could fall under both thriller or horror depending on the source. And in some cases I believe horror thriller can be used as a genre.

But I think many thrillers are mislabeled as horror; especially if they're a slasher or really gory.

For example, Saw isn't horror imo, it's a slasher/torture thriller.

"My people
 need to let our bitchiness out. Otherwise, it turns to bile and poisons us"

Cage Ata
3 hours ago, Lina Morgana said:
2 hours ago, lilmonster93 said:

I'd also like to get peoples' opinion on what makes something horror vs thriller.

I think slasher is a subgenre that could fall under both thriller or horror depending on the source. And in some cases I believe horror thriller can be used as a genre.

But I think many thrillers are mislabeled as horror; especially if they're a slasher or really gory.

For example, Saw isn't horror imo, it's a slasher/torture thriller.

I agree, I think horror almost implicates or is more drawn to anything that is supernatural or unknown. The antagonist is usually mystic like a demon, Jason Vorhees, Freddy Krueger, Micheal Myers etc. Whereas thrillers generally focus more on having a relatable 'realistic' scenario, more often psychologically driven. That's not to say there isn't a sub-genre of horror-thriller. 

Anyone seen "The Witch"?

Sounds like it's one of the best new Horror movies, in recent times. 

n0ne
15 minutes ago, Swando said:

Anyone seen "The Witch"?

Sounds like it's one of the best new Horror movies, in recent times. 

It's good, the visual style, acting, and atmosphere are highlights; the plot not so much imo.

Good for 1 viewing, but not something I highly recommend.

11 minutes ago, SILENT HILL said:

Well I think y'all can guess what horror video game I recommend :sis:

Actually never really played the games, but loved the movie.

5 minutes ago, ChristianDior said:

Does anyone else hate's The Cabin In The Woods as well?

Loved it, 1 of my favs. Why the hate?

"My people

SILENT HILL
18 minutes ago, lilmonster93 said:

Actually never really played the games, but loved the movie.

I love the movie too! You should try the video games sometime. Playing a horror video game is a totally different experience than watching a horror movie And plus there are several silent Hill games to choose from (well if you have the proper game system) 

SILENT HILL

I feel like this is an unpopular opinion but I almost never like the horror movies that are recorded (paranormal activities etc.) I don't understand why people love them so much. Like sometimes some creepy images can come out and it might make it seem more realistic, but other than that I feel the bad quality recording ruins the movie :p

n0ne
Just now, SILENT HILL said:

I love the movie too! You should try the video games sometime. Playing a horror video game is a totally different experience than watching a horror movie And plus there are several silent Hill games to choose from (well if you have the proper game system) 

My experience with horror games is minor compared to my experience with horror shows, and movies; but I have played a few.

I own: Dead Space (but never have played past chapt. 9)

Bioshock (1 of my favs)

The Last of Us (another fav)

Left 4 Dead

Oxenfree (great and original little indie game)

I've played a few others like the evil within but never finished it. There are plenty of other horror games, I want.

5 minutes ago, SILENT HILL said:

I feel like this is an unpopular opinion but I almost never like the horror movies that are recorded (paranormal activities etc.) I don't understand why people love them so much. Like sometimes some creepy images can come out and it might make it seem more realistic, but other than that I feel the bad quality recording ruins the movie :p

To me found footage horror is 1 of the most scariest types of horror. It's mainly because of realism they exude with the home style camera and ordinary characters. Plus they tend to be more mysterious; they make it harder to see what's there and what's coming. They make it almost as if the viewer is experiencing the horror.

Plus many found footage films are in HD, so they look realistic and pretty at the same time.

"My people

PSYCHOSHTICK
2 hours ago, lilmonster93 said:

Loved it, 1 of my favs. Why the hate?

It starts off good, but it just get's worse and worse with every minute. Once they're down there it's just terrible. The graphics are terrible as well, sorry to say that my dear :hug:

If you're into indie horror films I HIGHLY recommend It Follows, The Babadook, The Witch, and the newly released Neon Demon, which is a kind of horror film, in that it finds horror in the superficiality of LA and the modelling industry. It's actually a pretty disturbing film. In terms of Hollywood big studio releases The Conjuring 1 and 2 are definitely modern classics, as well as Insidious. Anything James Wan is hard to dislike I think. Also The House of the Devil is one of the best throwbacks ton 70's and 80's horror films it's another favourite of mine 

9 minutes ago, ChristianDior said:

It starts off good, but it just get's worse and worse with every minute. Once they're down there it's just terrible. The graphics are terrible as well, sorry to say that my dear :hug:

Cabin in the Woods was a genius satire of horror I think, it's a complete send up! 

Archived