Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

If "The GP" isn't here for Gaga....

giskardsb

Featured Posts

MonsterOfSpain

That's the problem and that's the point of the OP, I believe.

But most of her twitter followers aren't even her fans, just normal people part of the GP 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She has at least 30 million REAL twitter followers (she's probably the most followed person on twitter, excluding fake account) and ARTPOP only sold near 2 million copies worldwide. Some fans even bought more than one copy, which means more or less 1.5 million fans bought the album. 1.5 million fans out of 30 million. And we're talking about twitter only, god knows how many fans don't have a twitter account to follow her. If only those 30 million bought one copy, she would be at the same level as MJ but in the current times, during which is a lot harder to sell records.

So yes. If only most fans bought the album, she'd still be pretty successful. The problem is: most of them didn't, and some of them are proud to say it here.

A big part of her Twitter followers are the GP. Most sales came from the GP. Gaga fans are most likely like 500k or 700k

Ladey Gagz

ok, so don't bother reading the OP, just reply based simply on the title.

Do you think Lorde set out thinking she was trying to get radio success and the accolades of the general public?  Is that why she wrote her music?

Pandering to the GP is no guarantee of success. 

Sophism right there. 2 completely unrelated situations. Nobody knew Lorde so she can't try to get the GP if nobody is there to support her because nobody knows her. Gaga on the other hand, is an international pop artist that everybody knows. If there's one popstar that someone would know, at least the name, it's Lady Gaga. So that argument did not work in any way.

She has at least 30 million REAL twitter followers (she's probably the most followed person on twitter, excluding fake account) and ARTPOP only sold near 2 million copies worldwide. Some fans even bought more than one copy, which means more or less 1.5 million fans bought the album. 1.5 million fans out of 30 million. And we're talking about twitter only, god knows how many fans don't have a twitter account to follow her. If only those 30 million bought one copy, she would be at the same level as MJ but in the current times, during which is a lot harder to sell records.

So yes. If only most fans bought the album, she'd still be pretty successful. The problem is: most of them didn't, and some of them are proud to say it here.

Not only Gaga fans follow Gaga on twitter... Most of them are the GP. If you have twitter, I'm pretty sure you aren't just following Gaga... you're also following other artists that you might not be a huge fan of and might not buy their album.

Antichrist

If any of you who posted how she needs this 'GP' and I see you posting how you don't care about the charts, I will drag you to the pits.

giskardsb

Sophism right there. 2 completely unrelated situations. Nobody knew Lorde so she can't try to get the GP if nobody is there to support her because nobody knows her. Gaga on the other hand, is an international pop artist that everybody knows. If there's one popstar that someone would know, at least the name, it's Lady Gaga. So that argument did not work in any way.

So what, now that Gaga is a big pop star she is stuck with having to repeat herself and pandering to what the GP expects out of their "Gaga" image?  That's exactly the BS she was complaining about during her SxSW interviews.  The point of bringing up Lorde is as proof that an artist can have successful hits without having to replicate what is currently popular on radio.  She could have decided "I want to be successful, therefore I will copy Katy Perry."  She didn't do that.  Lorde was being herself and brought something fresh to the radio.  In fact I would argue that the exact thing the GP wants is variety and change, unlike a bunch of fans who immortalize a particular version of Gaga and never want her to shift from that.   TEOG was hugely successful in spite of not sounding like anything off TF/TFM.

No we need the GP :awkney:

Most people here have bought ARTPOP. I'm not gonna buy it again every single week for the charts. And yes the GP is everything. Many casual fans or even non fans go to her concerts. The 700k (excluding amazon) BTW first week sales were not just by fans and I'm pretty sure the ARTPOP first week sales too. Songs can't go #1 just because of a fanbase.

Only the Britney army could do that and now even they can't. :P

Ladey Gagz

So what, now that Gaga is a big pop star she is stuck with having to repeat herself and pandering to what the GP expects out of their "Gaga" image?  That's exactly the BS she was complaining about during her SxSW interviews.  The point of bringing up Lorde is as proof that an artist can have successful hits without having to replicate what is currently popular on radio.  She could have decided "I want to be successful, therefore I will copy Katy Perry."  She didn't do that.  Lorde was being herself and brought something fresh to the radio.  In fact I would argue that the exact thing the GP wants is variety and change, unlike a bunch of fans who immortalize a particular version of Gaga and never want her to shift from that.   TEOG was hugely successful in spite of not sounding like anything off TF/TFM.

But you're not getting my point. You can't compare Gaga to Lorde because you're saying WE, the FANS, should buy her stuff and make her successful right? But I don't think Lorde had any fans to do that. And who made Lorde successful? Oh...

And if you want her/us to stop pandering to the GP then that's fine but don't complain if she isn't on the top.

It's a fact that artists CANNOT be on the top with JUST a fanbase.

And how do you know we didn't buy her album? Do you have any facts/proof/anything? I'm pretty sure people have. And as for ticket sales, pretty sure everyone that has the chance to go, will go. And you can't force people to buy her merch wat if people don't want gaga merch you can't force them lmao.

Neptune

A big part of her Twitter followers are the GP. Most sales came from the GP. Gaga fans are most likely like 500k or 700k

I'd never follow someone I don't like. Those people are fans too.

then, explain why.

The GP=General Public, who buys any song and doesn't favor a specific artist. We are monsters. Therefore, we are not the GP. Simple.

giskardsb

The difference between fans and "GP" is that fans give an artist the benefit of the doubt.  When Gaga makes a release, we listen to the complete album.  We understand her nuances and how she is as an artist, and when songs don't immediately grab us we give them  a chance for a while.  Some of us may never like certain songs ( cough bad kids cough ) but we make an effort to understand what she is doing, and even if we don't like her chosen singles ( which are rarely my personal favorite songs ) we can appreciate her album tracks.  We are more understanding and tolerant of what Gaga says and what she does and will listen to her explanations and see how we feel about the entire package.

The "GP" is basically radio and casual listeners.  I happen to believe that "their" ( and also us when listening to non-Gaga material) tastes are more diverse than radio and labels give them credit for.  But they probably aren't going out of their way to listen to ARTPOP unless they hear a single that catches their ear.    Pop stars like Katy and Rihanna load their albums full of potential single material.  Gaga is more eclectic, diverse, and experimental.  Because of that, support from her fan base is more important than the other pop stars, because we will support her even in things that the "GP" doesn't get.  So if we care about Gaga as an artist, and not just as a radio friendly pop star, we need to support her as much as we possibly can.  Even Gaga fans that don't like ARTPOP should buy a copy, if they want Gaga's career to stay around and maybe produce something they do like.   

Pain of fame1

No we need the GP :awkney:

Most people here have bought ARTPOP. I'm not gonna buy it again every single week for the charts. And yes the GP is everything. Many casual fans or even non fans go to her concerts. The 700k (excluding amazon) BTW first week sales were not just by fans and I'm pretty sure the ARTPOP first week sales too. Songs can't go #1 just because of a fanbase.

THANKS

Emvee

Holy **** lol @ everyone missing his main point.

Yeah we need the GP, but the GP's support will never be guaranteed and nothing that we or Gaga do can guarantee their full support.

What the OP means is does that matter to you? Will your support be swayed by the overwhelming tide against Gaga?

Yes, I'm here for Gaga. I genuinely appreciate ARTPOP, cause it's part of a greater scheme of things and that's important to me as a fan.

Allison M

:applause:
Yes, GP hasn't fully been with Gaga... well ever. But more so since Judas and i'm still here. 

I care for Gaga as a person and artist.

I care for what she creates.

I care for her views and visions.

I care for the well-being of her and those close to her.

I DO NOT care about the number next to her song on a Billboard chart. 

Also, we never know what the GP will be into. Their musical taste alters all the time. Nobody thought a year and a half ago that everyone would be sucking Lorde's dick today. Or Adele's when 21 came out. You never know. There is no pandering to them. If Gaga focused on making GP happy by making what she thinks they would like, she would lose herself in the long run.

I want to hear/see what Gaga wants to create, not what Gaga thinks the GP wants her to create. 

Gaga has a large, loyal fanbase. I honestly think we are just growing up, and while still loyal, we just may not sit online and vote on a pointless poll all day for example. Our priorities have changed from 6 years ago. We don't care about that stuff anymore. We just care about the projects and what she is creating, and her well-being.

But, we do still need the GP. We don't need them as much as other artists do, but it would certainly help. We can't keep Gaga on top on our own. We are not enough. It doesn't matter to me though if she is on top or not. As long as she is happy with what she is creating and as long as she is healthy, then i'm happy.

I always suck at wording my thoughts correctly on here so hopefully someone understand what I mean.

Archived