💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Official G.U.Y. Music Video Rating Thread

Donatello

238 members have voted

1. 1.

Featured Posts

PigInsideAHuman

As many people are bashing the Real Housewives part, I feel they brought a sillyness and memorability to it that will last for the ages. The video felt like it should have. If Gaga hadn't included them people would have said that she takes her image to seriously....the camp Bravo! moments balance that out and show she can make a joke....and for the record.....even tho they were in the video and it was cheesy...it still was 10x classier than Dark Horse. lol

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PoshLife

As many people are bashing the Real Housewives part, I feel they brought a sillyness and memorability to it that will last for the ages. The video felt like it should have. If Gaga hadn't included them people would have said that she takes her image to seriously....the camp Bravo! moments balance that out and show she can make a joke....and for the record.....even tho they were in the video and it was cheesy...it still was 10x classier than Dark Horse. lol

Tell 'em

XnvGyfV.gif

No but seriously I totally agree with you. As I told Mariano above, those quirky things that barely make sense and frankly have nothing to do with the video's storyline are exactly what make this video uniquely Gaga.

Mariano

Don't call it horrible. The things you want her to take out like the Housewives and Andy are the things that make this a GAGA video. Anybody with enough money could film a dance scene at Hearst Castle. These quirky little moments - like a Real Housewife fake-strumming a harp, Andy Cohen playing Zeus, LegoGa - scream THIS IS GAGA. It's like saying you want to get rid of SwanGa. You gotta take the weird with the pretty.

I like the Andy scene and I like the Housewives being part of the video, but just that scene is so bad, It's funny and I mean it in a good way, I am enjoying it ... the same way with the Swan, I love the Swan scene in Applause :legend:

PoshLife

7/10. The Housewives/Andy Cohen bits are stupid, embarrassing, and cheapens and dates the whole thing. But everything else was good.

I won't remark on calling it "stupid and embarrassing," since that's a judgment call, albeit one that I think is mean-spirited and melodramatic. But "dates the whole thing"? I'm not sure that makes sense. As it is the video is all over the timeline - it's Greek mythology from thousands of years ago next to mass cloning from an unknown number of years in the future. It's past, present, and future. Gaga is herself only a moment in time, so the fact that the Housewives are in it doesn't date it any more than the fact that Gaga is in it. They're going to be alive for the same amount of time. Just doesn't make sense.

GUYS it's those imperfect moments (Andy, housewives, the venus/G.U.Y transition) that make this video outstanding. If it was all great, people would stop talking about in a couple of days. 

Slade

10 :legend: Absolutely slayed. Her best video for sure. My only complaint is how long the credits are, but at the same time, I applaud her for actually acknowledging everyone who worked on the video. I don't another star would've done that, at least not for the entire crew.

I appreciate that Gaga made this for us. I really do, but, overall, I did not like it. Four.

aren't you overcritical  :what:  

Disregard

I won't remark on calling it "stupid and embarrassing," since that's a judgment call, albeit one that I think is mean-spirited and melodramatic. But "dates the whole thing"? I'm not sure that makes sense. As it is the video is all over the timeline - it's Greek mythology from thousands of years ago next to mass cloning from an unknown number of years in the future. It's past, present, and future. Gaga is herself only a moment in time, so the fact that the Housewives are in it doesn't date it any more than the fact that Gaga is in it. They're going to be alive for the same amount of time. Just doesn't make sense.

I look at it this way: Take a look at the video for Michael Jackson's Liberian Girl. It is filled with actors of that era in the 80s, many of which are completely forgotten now, and so it looks incredibly dated. But look at some of his other videos from the same time period, and a very convincing argument could be make that they are timeless.

I didn't want to make a separate thread about this, mainly because I feel like I would get a lot of negative criticism from fellow fans… And also because I don't want to put a 'downer' on everyones apparent elation with the video, but at the same time I feel like I need to express my opinion...

I don't like the video, and I'm really sad. I was convinced it was going to be her best yet… But it just sort of fell flat. I loved the intro… It had stunning visuals with emotive metaphors, and I was so glad that ARTPOP was the soundtrack… But the song itself was messily edited, and should have just been left to run free. I also felt like I 'missed out' on not physically seeing the crash landing… I think it was important to show that, and they didn't.

When it changed into Venus… My heart skipped a beat, I was so happy… And the transition between the two songs was wonderful… But I quickly realised that they should have just let ARTPOP run all the way through, because Venus just did not work with the visuals… And then that messy transition into G.U.Y. happened...

I feel like the G.U.Y. section of the video is just one big… I don't know… I really don't want to say mess, but it is very messy… The editing is not good at all. I am a filmmaker and film student… And the editing was very, very amateur. There was little to no cohesion between this section of the video, it was more a montage of her in different locations and wearing similar, quite boring swimsuits… The Lego and Minecraft elements were just messy and random, I did not like them at all… And the Jesus, Lennon, Ghandi and MJ impersonators were just a little too Tropico… But it felt like a cheaper version. I did not like Andy as the God, nor did I like Gaga imposed onto the Lego sculpture. However, I did really like the scene in which they went to the record company… It reminded me of AHS:Coven, but was good. I felt like there should have been more of that, and maybe a narrative section here or there to add clarity to the theme and take a break from the music. 

At the end of the video, I felt like I was waiting for something else to happen… It was quite anti-climatic. And then MANiCURE started, and I thought that there would be some sort of conclusion set to MANiCURE… But there was not… It was just a song for the credits, which didn't fit in with the video and had a quite major editing mistake… The editors could not even do the credits right...

Overall I was very disappointed, not only with the video but with its attitude. With Gaga's latest CREATIVE REBELLION attitude and her declaration that she does not need to be pretty, it felt sort of like a sell-out for her to be so traditionally beautiful… Coupled with the metaphor of G.U.Y, that she doesn't 'need to be on top' of the charts to know she's worth it… It felt like the whole thing was just trying to appeal to the GP… Which is not what I love about Gaga. I want her to take risks… 

I hate to be a downer, I guess the way that GGD treats people with negative opinions makes me feel like a bad fan for not liking something Gaga has done. But I am true to myself and will express my opinion… It just seemed counterproductive to me to direct a video about saying 'FU' to record companies, if the video itself is just one big appeal to the GP.

I hope nobody gives me abuse for my opinion. I am glad that everyone is enjoying the video. I just wish that I could be a part of this excitement. I feel like the only person in the fan base who does not like it…  :noparty:

Lassex

8 :legend: The Himeros/Phoenix intro was amazing even tho it wasn't surprising. After that, I was hoping that they throw Gaga in the pool faster so she can rise from there as Venus and do some goddess-stuff :laughga: But they decided to put the Housewives singing Venus instead of that... no thanks. Andy Cohen's face in the sky looked pretty amateur but it was funny anyway. The MinecraftGa & resurrection of MJ and Jesus wasn't my favorite scene either. Anyway: she looked gorgeous and I loved the long wigs :flutter: They edited her figure and face very much tho.

PigInsideAHuman

The housewives and andy were clearly commentary on the difference between a celebrity and an artist....haha

but let's be real....when lisa and kyle were walking charlie's angel style with Gaga I felt like I was in a bond movie...and I totally mean that as a compliment

SummerGirl21

I didn't want to make a separate thread about this, mainly because I feel like I would get a lot of negative criticism from fellow fans… And also because I don't want to put a 'downer' on everyones apparent elation with the video, but at the same time I feel like I need to express my opinion...

I don't like the video, and I'm really sad. I was convinced it was going to be her best yet… But it just sort of fell flat. I loved the intro… It had stunning visuals with emotive metaphors, and I was so glad that ARTPOP was the soundtrack… But the song itself was messily edited, and should have just been left to run free. I also felt like I 'missed out' on not physically seeing the crash landing… I think it was important to show that, and they didn't.

When it changed into Venus… My heart skipped a beat, I was so happy… And the transition between the two songs was wonderful… But I quickly realised that they should have just let ARTPOP run all the way through, because Venus just did not work with the visuals… And then that messy transition into G.U.Y. happened...

I feel like the G.U.Y. section of the video is just one big… I don't know… I really don't want to say mess, but it is very messy… The editing is not good at all. I am a filmmaker and film student… And the editing was very, very amateur. There was little to no cohesion between this section of the video, it was more a montage of her in different locations and wearing similar, quite boring swimsuits… The Lego and Minecraft elements were just messy and random, I did not like them at all… And the Jesus, Lennon, Ghandi and MJ impersonators were just a little too Tropico… But it felt like a cheaper version. I did not like Andy as the God, nor did I like Gaga imposed onto the Lego sculpture. However, I did really like the scene in which they went to the record company… It reminded me of AHS:Coven, but was good. I felt like there should have been more of that, and maybe a narrative section here or there to add clarity to the theme and take a break from the music.

At the end of the video, I felt like I was waiting for something else to happen… It was quite anti-climatic. And then MANiCURE started, and I thought that there would be some sort of conclusion set to MANiCURE… But there was not… It was just a song for the credits, which didn't fit in with the video and had a quite major editing mistake… The editors could not even do the credits right...

Overall I was very disappointed, not only with the video but with its attitude. With Gaga's latest CREATIVE REBELLION attitude and her declaration that she does not need to be pretty, it felt sort of like a sell-out for her to be so traditionally beautiful… Coupled with the metaphor of G.U.Y, that she doesn't 'need to be on top' of the charts to know she's worth it… It felt like the whole thing was just trying to appeal to the GP… Which is not what I love about Gaga. I want her to take risks…

I hate to be a downer, I guess the way that GGD treats people with negative opinions makes me feel like a bad fan for not liking something Gaga has done. But I am true to myself and will express my opinion… It just seemed counterproductive to me to direct a video about saying 'FU' to record companies, if the video itself is just one big appeal to the GP.

I hope nobody gives me abuse for my opinion. I am glad that everyone is enjoying the video. I just wish that I could be a part of this excitement. I feel like the only person in the fan base who does not like it… :noparty:

I share some of your thoughts, but I still liked it overall. I try to not compare her videos to each other because it's just not fair, but I definitely wouldn't say it's her best ever.

You expressed your thoughts respectfully. No one should bother you or get mad at you

Donatello

I feel like the only person in the fan base who does not like it…  :noparty:

I wouldn't say I dislike it, but I do fully agree with each of your points. Though I would be much more disappointed if I didn't know Gaga was directing beforehand, because that allowed me to lower my standards a notch. She's incredibly brilliant at music and theatre, but no human is capable of doing everything and I find it a loss of potential that she doesn't enlist professional directors.

Archived