Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Why we should be boycotting SXSW event of Gaga.

Leninsdog

Featured Posts

I felt bad about it until I saw Gaga a foot away from me at Rain Monday night.

Awesome. More to tell?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
estoniankid

So... do you even know how much ONLY this stage cost them? All the lights, screens and the stage itself is nearly $500.000 and there are other stages, they also need to pay to people who's setting up all of these stages. Without sponsors (Doritos, Apple) it would be a $5 show. You're foreign to US/WW pop culture, so how can you complain? Gaga is not mainstream? 70 million fans is not mainstream? I just can not. Also, you're getting a live stream, what the f**k is wrong with you?

Bikxy2qCUAEkFBC.jpg

Why are we all fancy of this SXSW thing? Did you guys checked the sponsors? Did you guys know how people get the tickets? Why Gaga is allowing this to happen? Just to earn few more bucks?

I know that Gaga doesn't care that much about money, I'm just gonna say she is not the person who used to care about the real world like in 2010/2011. For a person who makes good work, this is a disgrace for both her and SXSW. I want to boycott this whole SXSW event and you all should be doing this. 

When did ART and MUSIC become so commercial? Aren't we all here for the music and not the bling? I don't care how much I love Gaga and want to see her all performances and how much they make me happy, I will just skip it because otherwise I will see myself as a stupid person who allows himself being used by big corporations just so they can make more and more money.

I know that many will criticise me for pointing this out but you know its true. If this would happen to any other famous name you would feel the same way. Should we allow ourselves to be used by (I don't really want to give names and advertise) corporations that doesn't care about anything but maximise their profits, so that we can see just one more performance of Gaga. Maybe it's a good choice for now but what about future.

EDIT:

I'm just saying that if you let corporations use you like this for their names and their advertising, we are in a big trouble in the long run. I don't really think that these corporations should make money by tricking people with tickets and using their faces for promotion.

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/doritos-builds-tweet-powered-sxsw-stage-thats-more-awesome-acts-it-147760

Did you have a problem with Jingle Bell Ball which is sponsored each time? And festivals like Glastonbury; people performing all supports there brand.

ItsOnlyAshleigh

So what these huge festivals are supposed to poof out of thin air? I'm confused. I'm about to go buy a bag of Doritos to show my appreciation for this festival, haha. And yeah.. sorry but Gaga is commercial, everything is commercial. 

GagaMyBlood95

LOL

Everything Gaga does, or any other big superstar is branded and is sponsored by someone! It's the way things work and there is simply no sense in saying that she shouldn't do this. That's her job and there's nothing wrong with it...

Mariann

I respect your decision but for me it's just a chance to see Gaga perform. This is all that matters to me. 

Leninsdog

So you ARE new to mainstream music, I see! There's no shame in that! :hug: Well, welcome to the world of sponsorships, corporations, charts, sales, and of course MONEY MONEY MONEY. Even if Gaga herself "doesnt care about money," her label does, and she needs money to fund bigger and better tours, pay her staff, etc. And let's be real... Gurl wears designer every day, she likes to spend the money. ;)

The fact is that Gaga is a mainstream musician. Even if her hardest-core fans are way more radical than your average radio listener, she still gets number one hits, is signed to a major label,  her music plays on the Top 40 stations, etc. So it's an indisputable fact that she is a mainstream musician. And unfortunately (or fortunately if you're a person who gets a thrill out of stalking the charts) that means that she comes with the entire corporate package-- sponsorships, spokesperson deals, corporate team-ups... That's how she manages to fund her larger-than-life stage shows and massive world tours. Without a major label and corporate team-ups backing her, there would be no Born This Way Foundation, her tours would be much smaller and less impressive, there would be way fewer promotional performances on television, etc. You've just gotta take the whole package if you're gonna be a fan of a pop megastar like Gaga-- swallowing the calories with the cake, if you know what I'm sayin. ;)

Sponsorships are an integral part of her career of being an international music act, and no amount of "boycotting" will change that. Sorry babe. If you can't handle it ethically, again, there are always plenty of local and underground musicians free from "the man" who will greatly appreciate your support!

Don't feel bad about loving Gaga even if she isn't a perfectly moral angel free from all sin or earthly desire. :hug:  I don't ethically agree with everything she does (fur, pls) but I still love her music and performances, think she is a lovely person, and support her overall message. :)

You gave a perfectly good explanation for me there and made me understand what is it about the mainstream today and Gaga. I always follow the underground stuff rather than this kind of stuff like you said. That must be the reason why I made a threat like this. Even though I really don't want to accept the fact that Gaga is mainstream, your points make a lot of sense. It just feels like this is completely against what Gaga is standing for. Like she even herself was against billboards at some point but I guess it just doesn't work that way for big names. 

I guess I'm going to put this thing aside and don't look into it that much in future and just enjoy her music. Swallowing the calories with the cake must be the best quote that explains this situation. 

SummerGirl21

Dude, if we went by this sentiment then we would be boycotting Gaga's entire career.

Funding has to come from somewhere. And banning one of her performances isn't gonna do anything-ANYTHING.

this.  

also, so we should just not watch several of her music videos which are CLEARLY funded by alcohol companies or Virgin Mobile?

holy scheisse

It's not free advertising. They're paying Gaga to advertise through her name.

Archived