MARRY THE NIGHT ANNIVERSARY T-SHIRT

Ukraine-Russia Crisis Discussion (Post all related news here)

Melech

Featured Posts

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Melech

• Cupid

• elixt

• craig

Top Posters In This Topic

Latest news concerning the Ukraine situation:

Ukraine has fired its navy chief, and launched a treason case against him for "refusing to fight Russians", surrendering Sevastopol headquarters, the deputy Secretary of security council told Reuters.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-03-02/ukraine-fires-navy-chief-for-treason-after-surrendering-hq/

also this is being reported:

Ukraine's navy chief says he has switched allegiance from Kiev to Crimea's pro-Russia authorities, as Russia tightens its grip on the restive region.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/10669670/Ukraine-live.html

So I guess this mean that if it was up to the pro-western Ukrainian government the takeover/invasion/stabilization of Crimea would not have been so peaceful. I will update the OP when there's more info to it.

Edited by Cupid

So I guess this mean that if it was up to the pro-western Ukrainien government the takeover/invasion/stabilization of Crimea would not have been so peaceful. I will update the OP when there's more info to it.

i dont think the russians are up for tea and talking

Didymus

There are so many conflicting opinions, I really can't follow anything about this :spin:

I'm still trying to understand whether it's truly bad that Russia has decided to step in.

There are so many conflicting opinions, I really can't follow anything about this :spin:

I'm still trying to understand whether it's truly bad that Russia has decided to step in.

It is, whatever the threat is, military aggresive hostile takeover just to "secure" things is never the answer. There's no right to invade another souverign state at all.

Didymus

It is, whatever the threat is, military aggresive hostile takeover just to "secure" things is never the answer. There's no right to invade another souverign state at all.

But from what I understand, there has been lots of support from people in Crimea for what Russia is doing :huh:

Shadow

Crimea has always been in Russia's court. The last time anyone tried taking Crimea from Russia in any shape or form was Hitler and Napoleon before him. We all know how far that went. The Crimea people are pro Russian anyway with long old ties, so perhaps this is for the best. Would it be bad for Kiev to separate from that portion of the Ukraine? Also, though this top brass man committed treason, in a way, his decision may have saved lives if it avoids a military conflict where civilians get caught in the collateral. Then again, who knows where this will go?

Be true to your convictions
MonsterMum

But from what I understand, there has been lots of support from people in Crimea for what Russia is doing :huh:

The thing with Crimea is that just 24% is ethnic Ukranian. Russia was allowed to have their harbours there and Ukraine in return got cheap gas prices for the whole country.

Basically a big big majority is connected to Russia, either because they are Russian or they are working for Russians one way or another. 

So they won't fight their home country or the hand that is feeding them.

Edited by MonsterMum
Didymus

The thing with Crimea is that just 24% is ethnic Ukranian. Russia was allowed to have their harbours there and Ukraine in return got cheap gas prices for the whole country.

Basically a big big majority is connected to Russia, either because they are Russian or they are working for Russians one way or another. 

So they won't fight their home country or the hand that is feeding them.

Thank you so much for explaining :hug: It's really complicated. I don't really support the dramatic headlines everyone throws around. These situations are so layered. 

MonsterMum

Thank you so much for explaining :hug: It's really complicated. I don't really support the dramatic headlines everyone throws around. These situations are so layered. 

You're welcome :hug:

I thought I'd just give you a small recap because I'm not even sure people know here what the deal is about or why the things happening are happening now. :sweat:

Edited by MonsterMum

:applause:

Economic isolation seems interesting, although my country's crisis would be bad - 5,4% of our export goes to Russia :ohno: and 5,1% of our gas comes from Russia. It could be way worse in other countries though, most of East-Europe and Central-Europe has over 40% of their gas from Russia. Sweden, Finland, Bulgaria, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania 100%.

Isolation effects Europe WAY more than it does the US, and if the US ends up doing it, China could threaten isolation as well because China backs Russia for most things :udidnt:

Am i the only one that thinks Putin doesn't care and is going to keep doing what he wants 

No, I honestly believe the same, I'm more interested in China response to this.

BuzzcutSeason

Obama is bothering me so much.

Like he is really the only president who will say stuff and then not do anything whats so ever, like with this he's taken no action. its like with everything. no one get on my case but really

• Shadow locked this topic