Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

[Guide] How do I support a single?

Luc

Featured Posts

Blank Space

This is a simple guide which shows all ways in which you can support a single. There are various ways, most are logical/common sense but it's a nice sort of to-dolist for singles. We all want the next single (GUY?) to be successful, so this era can go on. Therefore we must work together and make it a hit song.

Don't care about chart success? Then what are you doing in the 'Charts and Sales' section of GGD? :miley:

1. Buy a song.

This is the most obvious one, and helps a lot. 

You can buy various versions of the song, for example the single version, album version, clean version and remixes. Everything helps. Buying on iTunes is the most effective, since those have

charts and having Top 10 exposure in those charts will grant more sales.

2. Watch the music video on youtube.

This counts for many charts across the world, and this is the biggest way in which the normal people (non-chart freaks) judge the success of a song. For the Billboard Hot 100 charts, 100 youtube streams is equal to one copy sold. This is possibly the best way to support a song.

If you watch a video more than 300 times in one day, it will not count as a view anymore. For VEVO videos, you must watch the first 30 seconds of the video for your view to actually count as a view.

3. Request on radio.

This is a great way to get the song played more frequently on radio stations, and thus get more sales. For a song that the General Public seems to like (Applause for example), 500 listeners equals to about 1 sale.

Imagine, you request on 5 radio stations, averaging 20,000 listeners. One of them chooses to play the song after you request it, you might've gotten 40 people to buy the song without paying money yourself. 

A very useful thread for US/Canadian requesting links is this one: http://gagadaily.com/index.php?showtopic=65235 

For requesting in the US and Canada, you only have to fill in name, song and the captcha (special code).

A useful thread for international requesting links is this one: http://gagadaily.com/index.php?showtopic=80298 it includes many requesting links, although most of them aren't as easy as the US/Canadian links and some might require you extra information such as a security code, address, phone number.

The easiest way to request is to upvote the single or request the single on this site: http://katy-perry.org/ru.html

4. Sharing and word-of-mouth.

You can share a song in various ways, I'll mention a few:

1. Share the video or Spotify link through Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, whatever. You can even share it on various forums you've joined. Most forums have a "What are you listening to now?" kind of thread, so you can post the video there. And of course create a new thread with the iTunes link.

2. Create, like and/or share videos with the song in it. Believe it or not, but that's how Dark Horse became such a big hit. It was used by a lot of people on VINE, which pretty much made it go viral. You can share the small videos or even covers and let people know about the song this way.

3. Talk about it in real life or tell people to listen to it, your family, friends, colleagues, classmates, whoever you want to. Outside the US, word of mouth and social media is how over 40% of the people get to know about music.

5. Streaming with Spotify.

This one is quite important too. You can create a playlist and listen to the song on repeat, these streams count for many charts and many people look at Spotify's charts.

The charts in various countries are based on Spotify streams, like Norway, Sweden and Denmark. They're used in the chart formula in various other countries in Europe and the US.

You can also share the Spotify link on social media.

You can also connect your Spotify account with your Last.fm account, which could result in more interest.

Hopefully this will help the future singles' success. Thanks for reading, questions will be answered, and if the question is useless (you didn't read the post well or skipped a part), I'll simply quote the OP with the part which answers your question.

Remember, I don't care if you don't care about the charts. You're in the 'Charts and Sales' section of the forum, and telling people you don't care can and will be reported for off-topicness and/or spam.

It really gives good exposure!I have connected Spotify to my LastFm and many people visits my profile to look at my music taste and they see lots of Gaga songs/remixes, I think they are giving a try, since you can listen on LastFm with Spotify. :)

Lion Heart

:golfclap:

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

• 1 month later...
PoshLife

Just started streaming GUY on repeat on Spotify! I have it on mute while I go about my day, so I'll probably get like 75 plays in before I leave. Is that cool or will it be "suspicious"?

Blank Space

Just started streaming GUY on repeat on Spotify! I have it on mute while I go about my day, so I'll probably get like 75 plays in before I leave. Is that cool or will it be "suspicious"?

I suggest you to add few more songs for example MANiCURE.ARTPOP,VENUS, I hear that Spotify counts only 10 plays from person for a song, duuno if its true. also check my thread in my signature!!

Luc, you probably know this:

How are chart positions determined in the Netherlands? For example the top 40 and the mega single top 100?
I've been really curious for some time now, since DH got number 1 positions here but never topped the itunes charts.

Luc, you probably know this:

How are chart positions determined in the Netherlands? For example the top 40 and the mega single top 100?

I've been really curious for some time now, since DH got number 1 positions here but never topped the itunes charts.

Just sales for the GfK charts, 538 top 40 is airplay.

DH topped itunes tho http://kworb.net/popnl/archive/20140215.html

• Mills locked this topic

Archived