Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Full Interview: Lady Gaga on The Culture Show

Jesse Pinkman

Featured Posts

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BornSimon

I thought this was a fantastic interview and really showed Gaga under a different light. Gaga is not just this or that, her personality, like ours, has many different aspects. Of course one day she can be fun on Graham Norton, the next she can be real on Howard Stern and then the next be an oddball on The Culture Show. She also gives different answers to different questions, and she also knows what kind of audience will be watching which show. You can't go on Graham Norton and be the way she was on The Culture Show, she'd come across as boring because the CONTEXT is different. But on this show, I thought she was amazing.

She is NOTHING like other popstars and I will never stop saying that she can't be compared to the likes of Britney, Katy etc. Do it if you want to, just because she's (sometimes) blonde and sings pop songs that hit the charts, but that's not all there is to her.

monstronic

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread, but I'm really fascinated by this interview and I think there could be good discussion about it, but apparently it's only me that thinks so :flop:

HOWEVER, in rebuttal (sort of) to the article I posted about above, here's one from Miranda Sawyer that talks about how she wasn't expecting Gaga to be so 'weird'. She expected to find her like she was on Graham Norton. 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/lady-gaga-tells-miranda-sawyer-2786150

Do you think this was due to Gaga having researched the show before and knew it was about art and culture news? OR do you think she was just acting 'bizarre' for other reasons?

I'd put it down to Gaga knowing beforehand the demographic of the show, so fitting her responses accordingly? 

Lovely thoughts!

We know Gaga likes to mirror (exhibit A: her houndstooth dress, glasses and piano for her Barbara Walters interview) so that's definitely going on. I think that's a lot of it.

Something else to consider is genre. Gaga spoke about how her hotel outfit performances are a different thing from her on-stage performances. In many ways, this show is more similar to a print interview. (And you saw that with the interviewer's selfie shots: very similar to the way an author would summarize or editorialize in a print interview).

Plus she was F-ing tired and full of art thoughts after a 48 hour photoshoot :-)

monstronic

I'd also like to add that Gaga loves to defy expectations within her mirroring. So to Graham Norton viewers who may have expected a dour pretentious artiste, she gave them a fun and funny version of herself. To The Culture Show, who expected to lob serious questions at a pop star, she gave them a serious artist with a serious case of the weirds.

And I don't think it's 100% intentional, or even fake. But it is interesting. She reminds us that the interview is as much a performance as the official show. There is no "real" gaga to discover, only different facets.

Elizabeth

Interesting Gaga pointed out in her tweet that she loved Miranda's interview style with her. Obviously she's seen some of the backlash it received?

I'd also like to add that Gaga loves to defy expectations within her mirroring. So to Graham Norton viewers who may have expected a dour pretentious artiste, she gave them a fun and funny version of herself. To The Culture Show, who expected to lob serious questions at a pop star, she gave them a serious artist with a serious case of the weirds.

And I don't think it's 100% intentional, or even fake. But it is interesting. She reminds us that the interview is as much a performance as the official show. There is no "real" gaga to discover, only different facets.

Totally agree within this!

Interesting and insightful interview about ARTPOP. Gaga in complete art mode- watching this, you forget what a ****ing great singer/ performer she is and get caught up in her love for art.

monstronic

Can I nominate this for exemplary thread of 2013? More of GGD should be this interesting! You can tell things are good because the posts are not just a word and a GIF. 

blubrryxkisses

I really enjoyed this interview. As an art nerd myself (finishing up my masters degree in art history soon), she was perfection to me. I am very glad that the interviewer was taken aback by the fact that Gaga is not some air-headed pop bimbo lol. 

It is strange that Gaga acts one way on one show and completely differently on another.  In a way it's disturbing to think that her manner is determined by what she thinks the host of the show wants her to be.  As if it's ALL really an act.  I hope that's not so.

Doesn't that also relate to her comfort level. I don't think she was on this show before (correct me if I'm wrong) which would explain why she wouldn't be as open. Whether she's the biggest pop star alive or just a regular person, it takes a certain comfort level to be open and yourself with someone (especially when it's an interviewer and the world then sees that moment) so I don't really fault her for coming off differently sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder that The extended (1 hour) version of this is on tonight 11.05 UK Time

Concentration more on the fans

"Journalist Miranda Sawyer was due to talk to Lady Gaga for the Culture Show about her third album ARTPOP. After the interview was delayed numerous times, Miranda decided to spend time with the pop star's devoted fans, known as the Little Monsters, as they hung around outside Langham Hotel in Marylebone waiting for an appearance by their idol"

Archived