💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

YAHOO! OMG (UK) reviews ARTPOP

Lady

Featured Posts

YAHOO! OMG (UK) - Album review: Lady Gaga paints an electronic listening experience with ARTPOP

This week marks the release of Lady Gaga's third studio album ARTPOP. Has the kooky pop star's latest release lived up to its expectations?

Described as 'The album of the millennium' by the singer herself, ARTPOP is a declaration of artistic freedom and an experimental release that sees Lady Gaga dabble in and out of genres while blending in elements to create a new electro listening experience for her Little Monsters.

Often branded as the 'unusual one' out of the pop diva roster that dominates today's music scene, Gaga seems to be completely comfortable with her position in the industry on ARTPOP and for those who are hoping for rehashes of hits found on her earlier releases; The Fame and The Fame Monster, you're not getting any of those on ARTPOP as this was clearly not her intention with the project.

In 2012, Gaga was quoted in an interview with MTV stating that the album would lack the sense of maturity that dominated the lyrical content and themes of 2011's Born This Way.

In the interview Gaga said: "I feel that when I wrote Born This Way, I demonstrated a sense of maturity, I feel that, on the next album, there's a lack of maturity, it's a tremendous lack of maturity or sense of responsibility."

So, is the album really the album of the millennium? Objective I'm sure, but it's still a good effort which exhibits Gaga's versatility as an artist and displays her different range of musical influences.

I've hand picked the standout tracks from the album that hooked me upon the first few spins on my iPod. Check out my mini-review below!

'Applause' the lead single from the project opened to a lukewarm reception from critics with some feeling the song was slightly generic and a little empty. The song was described as a 'kiss-off to critics' by the singer herself on Twitter who then described the lyrical content as her independence as an entertainer and how it separates her from the average celebrity.

I personally enjoy the energy the song exudes; it's a light pop listen with a catchy hook which you need sometimes.

'Do What U Want feat. R.Kelly' on this song, Gaga teams up with the King of R&B- R.Kelly for the ultimate urban listening experience; a side which we're not used to hearing from Gaga's usual pop catalogue. The song sees Gaga sing lines such as: ''You can't stop my voice / 'Cause you don't own my life / But do what you want with my body."

In short, the singer is telling the world they can do what they want with her body (and she is referring to her previously publicised weight gain as well as other public ridicule) but you cannot stop her voice while she protects her heart from emotional damage. This is probably one of my favourites on the album; I loved her vocal delivery and the message of the song.

'Sexxx Dreams' pretty self explanatory based on the title, clearly Gaga is having naughty dreams about her desired lover but it was nice to hear her deliver a set of softer and a more subtle set of vocals on this particular song and it seems to be a fan favourite at the moment too.

'Aura' is a cool dance track in which Gaga quizzes ''Do you want to see me naked lover, do you want to see the girl who lives behind the aura?'' backed by a trance-type electro beat the song is sure to be a club hit and I'm expecting to see a high energy visual to accompany the up-tempo number.

'Fashion!' credited as one of the most captivating figures in fashion hailing from the music industry, Gaga pays homage to the fashion industry on this particular track. This is more of a feel good song, it's more about the confidence you should feel in your own clothes and I can definitely see it serving as runway music for haute couture fashion shows.

Without giving too much away, ARTPOP is not The Fame by any means, which isn't necessarily a bad thing; actually it's kind of a great thing. It means that Gaga is focusing more on her own artistic vision and the direction she would like her future projects to head in as opposed to following radio trends.

With that being said, the album was missing a few things for me and the two major ones I could point out whilst listening was the lyrical content which for me, was slightly uninspired and at times a little dreary and the lack of instant catchy hits that were found on her previous albums.

ARTPOP is an enjoyable listening experience and I respect Gaga's approach to trying to add a fresh approach to her music, regardless of what her critics may have to say about the album; it caters to the needs of her many Little Monster's and I'm sure it's the type of album they have been waiting to hear from their idol for a very long time.

Overall rating: 3/5

http://uk.omg.yahoo.com/news/album-review-lady-gaga-paints-electronic-listening-experience-104100617.html

Love the review. First one that says it's different from her previous albums and not like others say trying to get the attention like during TF and TFM! :party:

Unicorn De Milo

Finally I great review that Stans for Fashion! :legend:

I'm seeing that ARTPOPs biggest fall is going to be the lyrics

Road To Love81

nice review....I didn't listen the album yet...waiting for 11.11 it's wierd to see all this reviews....

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived