💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Toronto Sun reviews ARTPOP

Bye

Featured Posts

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/06/lady-gagas-ARTPOP-more-style-than-substance

the review criticises the album for ignoring the ART in ARTPOP.

Lady Gaga’s ‘ARTPOP’ more style than substance

Well, she's half right.

There is indeed plenty of pop to be found on Lady Gaga's third full-length ARTPOP (out Tuesday but streaming online now).

But art? Aside from the Jeff Koons cover and the Warhol title reference, not so much.

Well, perhaps if you're talking about the art of provocation. That's always been Gaga's main discipline - using meat dresses and giant eggs and other antics to get attention. And as a way to manipulate fans and the media, it has served her admirably (until she got upstaged by Miley Cyrus 2.0, anyway).

Thing is, as a means of songwriting, outrageousness has a limited shelf life. And seldom translates from the real world to the recording studio

This has always been a problem with Gaga's albums - ARTPOP included. Like her others, this disc feels self-indulgent and unfocused, more concerned with style than substance. It flits between genres - the EDM wubba-wubba of Aura, the space-s-x disco of Venus, the handclap R&B of MANiCURE, the

hip-hop menace of Jewels n' Drugs, the industrial grind of Swine, the Broadway balladry of Dope, the dance-rock of Mary Jane Holland, the new wave of Applause, even a dash of Born This Way's heartland rock in Gypsy.

But as usual, most of these club anthems seem simultaneously underwritten and overproduced, with verses and choruses and changes and elements hamfistedly mashed together in a way that seems less like creative vision and more like arrogant lack of discipline.

But when you get right down to it, the art Gaga has truly never mastered is that of writing lyrics. And the s-x-obsessed, d--g-heavy ARTPOP has some of her lamest clunkers yet.

I agree that the lyrics in ARTPOP are weak, noticed that right away, plus the whole warholian concept is really hard to get from the music. Other than that I love it.

Lol. I think this is the most negative review that Ive read. Maybe ARTPOP needs to be explained to some people with future performances and videos.

Willy Wonka

Honestly, I think it's a completely valid point.

How she did such little promo and STILL managed to overhype and oversell the 'artistic' and 'experimental' elements of the music blows my mind.

aaronyoji

ugh tired of people saying shes all style no substance. thats miley, thats katy, thats any other pop star who thinks theyre provocative. if theres anything gaga has its substance :fail: also to call this album arrogant and undisciplined? gaga has shown nothing but discipline this era, thats her new mantra, and i fail to see how expressing your creative thoughts is self indulgent, just because some dont get it. 

this is annoying she did do the reverse warholian thing, just as the soup can seemed so out of place in the painting world, how do you make a soup can feel like art? but it was the whole idea that supported it, this is the exact opposite, all the subtle details, the multi genres that are all pop in one, the personal side of it, and many musical mini details that many people dont even notice, made it the anti soup can, how do you make art, feel like pop?

it has to be subtle, there was a meltdown for having 1 ballad, noone is here for just artsy lyrics that talk about paintings, shes making her own art, not just referencing it

if you dont get the soup can, you wont get ARTPOP

ugh tired of people saying shes all style no substance. thats miley, thats katy, thats any other pop star who thinks theyre provocative. if theres anything gaga has its substance :fail: also to call this album arrogant and undisciplined? gaga has shown nothing but discipline this era, thats her new mantra, and i fail to see how expressing your creative thoughts is self indulgent, just because some dont get it. 

Seriously. The fact that some of these critics can't realize that :wtf:

i dont think they understand that the lyrics are deliberately minimalist and pop... the album is such a caricature of pop that its art

I agree that the lyrics in ARTPOP are weak, noticed that right away, plus the whole warholian concept is really hard to get from the music. Other than that I love it.

:tea:

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived