💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Slant Magazine reviews ARTPOP!

scrappy

Featured Posts

If you look at their reviews of many other recent albums, ARTPOP is actually rated good :party:

Yeah, it got rated the same as TFM! :party:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mister G

I feel like all these reviews are based on the leaks though. Like hello, listen to the songs in HQ before judging :lmao:

I can't believe people are still even bothered by the Madonna comparisons. I've got news for you guys: people make them because THEY'RE LEGITIMATE. Gaga is hugely inspired by Madonna, and it's glaringly obvious. And that's OKAY. Madonna is basically the high priestess of pop. From a historical perspective, she's an important contributor to its development and trends. Given that Gaga is a postmodern bricolage pop artist, there would be something seriously wrong if she WASN'T referencing Madonna frequently.

And even if Gaga hated Madonna, there's a lot of overlap thematically in their work, and contextually in what milieu their work is appreciated. They are very different artists, it's true. But there's plenty of overlap as well, and a lot of that overlap is pretty important stuff.

Anyway, Slant is a notoriously picky publication, but that's precisely why I like it. Sal Cinquemani's a very discerning pop critic--as he should be. Quite the opposite of what other people have said in this thread, his very discerning and picky nature is a testament to the fact that he takes pop very seriously and does appreciate the artistry that can go into it. Ed Gonzalez is their chief film critic, and he's a picky bastard, too, but he writes some of the best mainstream film reviews around. It's a bit like P4K. When TFM got a 7.8 from them that was HUGE, because they're notoriously harsh graders.

A 7/10 ain't too shabby. I actually think it's a good start for the album. I was expecting a 3/5 from Slant.

can we have a public service announcement to NOT bring up prism for every review of ARTPOP

like who cares? if you wanna gloat about it, go on those other sites and gloat.

They gave an 80 to BTW but this is still good :)

Duh, BTW was full of 80s rock. That is like their favorite. 

Arturo

7/10 isn't bad. It's about what I expect ARTPOP to receive on average.

Yeah, an overall score of 70/100 on Metacritic is generally positive for them, so that's good.

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived