💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

My ARTPOP track by track review

My Little Phoney

Featured Posts

My Little Phoney

AURA

A perfect opener for the album. The film-like quality and Tarantino atmosphere violently tear you into the world of ARTPOP. The vocals sound quite different from the ones in the demo but I like both versions and the album version is slightly more experimental. Overall, the album opens with what I was expecting from Gaga and she immediately proves that she's not your girl-next-door pop princess.

8,5/10

VENUS

Venus is a very trippy song with a great vintage disco vibe to it. The demanding 'Take me to your planet' parts will get everyone dancing in the clubs and so will the epic 'rocket number 9' opening followed by her 'outfit description'. The build-up to the chorus is like edging for half an hour while jerking off and the angelic vocals of the chorus feel like an incredibly rewarding ejaculation, the kind you feel in your whole body. The second verse could be a bit longer and more creative lyric wise. The bridge is a good combination of wit and silliness leading towards the end of this extremely energetic track.

9/10

G.U.Y.

The intro is truly epic and transitions perfectly from Venus into this song. I really like the pre-chorus but since it's quite long it might make the song seem a bit repetitive. The instrumental afte

r part the first chorus is like a happier version of Heavy Metal Lover. Overall, it's a very seductive song and the spoken parts make it fun and innovative. The vocals could have been more audible in the bridge. G.U.Y. is a true earwurm like only Gaga can write, sing and produce and the 'NEIN ZEDD' outro is wonderfully weird.

9/10

SEXXX DREAMS

I wasn't too impressed with the iTunes festival performance of this song and the album version doesn't really save it. The verses are really interesting because of the dialogue aspect but during the rest of the song Gaga kind of fails to impress me. The pre-chorus is not very creative, neither lyrically nor musically. The chorus is okay but extremely repetitive and she could have done without the post-chorus. The bridge is a really nice addition and the spoken part gives a nice freshness to this song that overall has a bit much going on instead of being linear and sultry.

6,5/10

JEWELS & DRUGS

The cough intro is quite brilliant, like you're in an audience right before the start of a play. T.I. kicks off this song with a lot of energy. Gaga's vocals sound s-xy and very different from what we know from her. Lyrically this isn't her strongest song but she had a lot of fun making this and it really translates into the album version. Too Short's is okay but a bit long. The 'chorus' is deliciously decadent and make me feel like I can conquer the world. Twista impresses with his flow and it goes nicely with the breakdown. I think this is a fun hip hop party song and it was intended as such.

8/10

MANiCURE

My absolute favorite performance at the iTunes festival is an even better track on the album. Gaga's energy is so raw and the claps are incredibly infectious. The 'salon' part and 'can you feel it' parts are great additions that keep the pace and flow high. I love how she sings the second pre-chorus differently from the first one, almost sounding desperate for love. I'm glad the 'heal me' part was saved in some way and I like the fact that it's now a sort bridge. The outro is great but misses some sounds the band played in the live version.

10/10

DO WHAT U WANT

If there's a song ARTPOP can do without, I'd say it's this one. Gaga sounds really great in it but the lyrics are rather weak (especially during the first verse) and quite repetitive. R-Kelly doesn't do much for me, I'd rather have a second verse sung by Gaga. I do like that she tries all sorts of different styles and it IS a great track but I just feel like it pales in comparison to the rest of the album. The bridge is cheesy and sounds a bit off-key. The ending without the more freestyle vocals is great though, a nice shot of energy to end this ballsy song.

6/10

ARTPOP

Pure perfection. I adored the live version and equally love the album version. Gaga sounds like a futuristic angel singing what might be her best lyrics she has written so far. This song is the core of the album, the step towards a sound I had never heard before. The intro is orgamsic, the verses give me goosebumps, the pre-choruses put a smile on my face and the choruses warm my heart but it's the almost shouted bridge that nearly has me crying. THIS SONG IS SO GOOD. I'm also happy she only has 'free my mind' at the end of the song and the way she says it literally makes my heart stop. Is this the best song Gaga has written so far? I think it is.

10/10

SWINE

The iTunes performance was messy but with great energy. The album version's intro sounds a bit awkward right after ARTPOP but it does get you dancing. The vocals in the pre-chorus and chorus are just fantastic and the breakdowns are sordidly energetic. I just wanna take my clothes off and hump everything in the room while throwing glitter around the room. The extra vocals in the second chorus and the pig sounds make this song even better as well as the piano build up towards the second chorus. The second and final breakdown give me life but could have used the epic squealing and grunts Gaga added in London. The outro is trashy but fun and kinda transitions the album back to a more relaxed state of mind, like your body decontracting after having s-x. 

9/10

DONATELLA

The intro sound is intriguing and kind of... s-xy. The nasal spoken intro is nicely ironic. The first verse is pretentious and extremely s-xual in the best way possible. The prechorus is cute, a great build up to the chorus. which is EPIC, it reminds me of I Love It by Charli XCX (feat. Icona Pop). The post-chorus gives me Black Jesus teases, I can picture Gaga twirling around on a catwalk as she sings this. The second chorus is very cheeky, the lyrics are smart and bit random (boulangerie is French for 'bakery').  The bridge is quite Britney like, reminding me of 'Piece Of Me'. We knew nothing about this track and it's definitely one of my favorites of the album.

10/10

FASHION!

The intro takes me back to when I used to watch the video for Vanessa Carlton's 'A Thousand Miles'. This song has a very late-night cabaret feeling to it, which I like. Fashion! gives the album a nice mid-tempo break without interrupting the general flow. I feel like I will like this song even more after listening to it a lot and this song will be rediscovered by fans when the album has been out a few months. The bridge could have without the echo but the breakdown is great and I quite like Will.I.Am's terrible French since its' quite subtle. Overall, this song sounds like something Gaga and her friends would improvise in a gay club.

8/10

MARY JANE HOLLAND

This song combines the S&M qualities of Government Hooker and Heavy Metal Lover with the uplifting beats of Bad Kids. It's a great song, it immediately got stuck in my head. Even though it's quite explicitly about d--gs, I feel like it can translate to being about any kind of rush or high and this song gets me dare. The bridge is amongst the best things Gaga has ever come up with. The 'introducing' part reminds me of Moulin Rouge, the rush with fast music and flash of colors, almost making you faint. Overall, this song is super infectious and makes me feel like I've had a little but too much too drink. The lighter sounds are a great find and transition into Dope quite while.

10/10

DOPE

At first listen I didn't like this one because it's basically 'I Wanna Be With You' with different lyrics. After a while I realize it's actually better and less cheesy than said song. I feel like she's super sincere and vulnerable here. I do have some questions when I hear the production though - the weird bass sounds don't fit too well. I like that it's concise, this keeps it strong rather than repetitive and boring. A good ballad that feels like it could have used a bit more work.

7/10

GYPSY

This song has a Glee/Disney feeling to it but I quite like it because the production keeps it up to date. It's like a more danceable, less dramatic Edge Of Glory. I really love the lyrics, they're touching and relatable even though they border cheesiness. The Wizard Of Oz reference is delightful. 'I'm-I'm-I'm Gypsy Gypsy' keeps the track fresh. The bridge is a bit long but beautiful. Overall, this song is very radio friendly, trademark Gaga and a nice happy note the end the album.

8/10

APPLAUSE

We all know this one by now. It was a huge grower for me since it failed to impress when I first heard it. However, it contains really strong lyrics and making this a single was a risk - a risk that paid off wonderfully. It's a nice bang to end the album, stylistically it's quite retrospective of what Gaga has done so far while at the same time keeping me more than interested for what's still to come.

8,5/10

(Overall score, purely mathematical: 8,5/10)

My Little Phoney

I love your ARTPOP (song) review :)

:D

Mary Jane Holland gets a 10 and Gypsy gets an 8? 

Lol How and why? 

Because that's how I feel/it's my opinion?

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived