💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

DOPE Audio released on VEVO

Kim Kardashian

Featured Posts

i don't like this song at all, her voice sounds beautiful and powerful but i hate the lyrics

I agree...they just do not mesh as well for me and they seem simplier now. The concept is deeper but the execution is not as good in my opinion. I dont know if Ill ever get over it unfortunately, but I cant change it so I accept it.

I don't understand why people hate the lyrics. They're about finding a reason to fight addiction. That's awesome subject matter.

it is not the subject it is the actual lyrics for me at least. I just feel like there is less imagery or rhetorical ornamentation. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so beautiful  :flutter:

drbumblenut

I agree...they just do not mesh as well for me and they seem simplier now. The concept is deeper but the execution is not as good in my opinion. I dont know if Ill ever get over it unfortunately, but I cant change it so I accept it.

it is not the subject it is the actual lyrics for me at least. I just feel like there is less imagery or rhetorical ornamentation. 

I see what you mean. I think she changed it to be very clear that this is a song about d--g addiction (12 Steps!). Whereas, the end of the show / end of the party subject of "I Wanna Be With U" is itself a metaphor for waking up one day and seeing what your life has turned into. It's less specific. 

But once we know that the d--gs are d--gs, and the fans are her reason to fight it, she does ornament the concept:

Toast one last puff

And two last regrets

Three spirits and

Twelve lonely steps

Up heaven's stairway to gold

Mine myself like coal

A mountain of a soul

That said, everyone hears music differently... we take away from a song what we put into it. So -- and this isn't you -- the people hearing "dope" as a metaphor for her fans is fine, because they're finding truth in the song. I can't mesh that with my understanding of the song, though, since it would be like fighting her addiction to fans... for... her fans. 

To each his own, though!

JanPianoMusic

Amazing lyrics, great vocals, fantastically minimalist production. I LOVE THIS SONG

You will never please everyone.

Omegahedron

Oh my god this. But I do feel like the production on this is much more ominous even though the melody is the same. That electronic backing during the second verse

I miss the "I was born this way" line too. But it was a bit too obvious, to be honest. I much prefer the "I don't speak German, but I try" in Gypsy. :) and maybe a Born This Way reference can be saved for ARTPOP 2

Yeah, it was a bit on the nose. It also ran the risk of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_86-_upiFbY I'm much more for the subtle nods! 'Speak German' in Gypsy is a nice touch.

Yeah it has a much bleaker, more powerful tone. The bass is awesome.

It really makes me feel sad because I really feel like she's being honest. The song is like the hangover after So Happy I Could Die.

I see what you mean. I think she changed it to be very clear that this is a song about d--g addiction (12 Steps!). Whereas, the end of the show / end of the party subject of "I Wanna Be With U" is itself a metaphor for waking up one day and seeing what your life has turned into. It's less specific. 

But once we know that the d--gs are d--gs, and the fans are her reason to fight it, she does ornament the concept:

Toast one last puff

And two last regrets

Three spirits and

Twelve lonely steps

Up heaven's stairway to gold

Mine myself like coal

A mountain of a soul

That said, everyone hears music differently... we take away from a song what we put into it. So -- and this isn't you -- the people hearing "dope" as a metaphor for her fans is fine, because they're finding truth in the song. I can't mesh that with my understanding of the song, though, since it would be like fighting her addiction to fans... for... her fans. 

To each his own, though!

Thank you, that does help, but I think I need this song to settle in my mind though. I need to find a reading of it that really works for me. I want to like it! The melody and production are wonderful. 

100percent

I just cannot accept the fact that lyrics have become so different and BAD

i always sing I Wanna Be With You lyrics over DOPE because i just cannot get over it

I just cannot accept the fact that lyrics have become so different and BAD

i always sing I Wanna Be With You lyrics over DOPE because i just cannot get over it

Somewhat agree. Gaga ballads are such a mixed bag for me. I think speechless if heart-felt and flawless. Have never been a fan of You and I. I absolutely loved I Wanna Be With you at the iTunes festival. Super touching and the lyrics were amazing. I do not think Dope is a bad track at all, it is just clearly inferior to the previous version. Also find it somewhat disrupting to the overall flow of ARTPOP. Clearly I am obsessed with the album and think it is freaking great, but I will be interested to hear some of the songs released through the app. I best there are a few gems that might have been a better substitute for Dope.

rivingtonrebels

I like the lyrics of Dope more than the ones from IWBWY.

This.  They're better.

angelduuh

Dope>>>>>>IWBWY

Dope could potentially be the new Speechless. It's gonna be so great if Gaga manages to pull off a performance at the level of the flaming piano.

Meh, I still don't get the single cover

I think the song is about her d--gs struggles, so she still fights them, putting an damaged smile... and no one knows? :toofunny:

Vernier

Opinions are opinions, but I just can't understand how anyone could like some of the cheesy immature lyrics of IWBWY over Dope tbh. "I'd rather be poor and happy" or whatever that mess was. Please. I love that she gave the song a darker, more mature feel though, I'd have preferred if she kept the title as IWBYW, but Dope works too I guess.

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn

Archived