💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

I know I shouldn't care about reviews but...

SummerGirl21

Featured Posts

Stefani328

It was expected with Venus. The critics praised DWUW and now it is second single. I feel like Interscope saw this coming and that is also why they changed the single. Most of the time critics are wrong but I have to agree with them this time. I will probably never say that again. :pukey:

Music is subjective. Everyone has different tastes. What some people think is horrible, others think is brilliant.

I seriously don't want to be a downer, but, as I said in another thread, this song isn't going to go through a critical re-appraisal UNLESS people embrace it as a camp text (which it is) and really run with that.

It's very messy and disjointed. And while Gaga clearly wanted several different sounds and "parts" to the song, there are many, many songs I could point to (songs more experimental than Venus) that go through multiple, distinct modulations but all feel of a piece, that feel whole, and unified, and satisfying. Venus sounds like a rough draft.

And hey, it's Gaga's first time taking a stab at totally self-producing. So that's probably to be expected! I think it's an interesting and promising start.

It's definitely very "Gaga" in the sense that it does what it does with abandon. It's balls-to-the-wall. And there's definitely something admirable about that, and definitely that attitude (more than the sound of the song itself) is reflective of Gaga's modus operandi. I think Venus will always be a fun deep-cut for fans and pop historians. But I highly doubt it's ever considered a staple or a "great" song.

I think the one thing I find most frustrating about this era is this bizarro war Gaga is trying to wage against critics. I mean, there's a difference between jack-ass reporters/gossip hounds and actual music critics. Critics can enrich and deepen our appreciation of a work of art, and the best criticism is art in and of itself, that provides a "counter-text" that interacts with the song, movie, book, etc. being discussed. Should a critic's opinion be treated as the end-all-be-all? Of course not. But do a lot of critics have more interesting, developed, nuanced, and informed opinions than a lot of the casual audience? Absolutely.

I think some people may be overly critical because they know she produced it herself. I do agree though that the transition from pre chorus to chorus is a problem with the song. Its still really good though imo.

If it would catch on with the public, thats what would matter (not critics). Its dropping on itunes pretty fast though.

I think it's meant to be campy and fun, but the production suffers a bit. Sorry gaga you're an AMAZING performer, singer, and a fine dancer, but leave the sole producing to the professionals

SummerGirl21

I seriously don't want to be a downer, but, as I said in another thread, this song isn't going to go through a critical re-appraisal UNLESS people embrace it as a camp text (which it is) and really run with that.

It's very messy and disjointed. And while Gaga clearly wanted several different sounds and "parts" to the song, there are many, many songs I could point to (songs more experimental than Venus) that go through multiple, distinct modulations but all feel of a piece, that feel whole, and unified, and satisfying. Venus sounds like a rough draft.

And hey, it's Gaga's first time taking a stab at totally self-producing. So that's probably to be expected! I think it's an interesting and promising start.

It's definitely very "Gaga" in the sense that it does what it does with abandon. It's balls-to-the-wall. And there's definitely something admirable about that, and definitely that attitude (more than the sound of the song itself) is reflective of Gaga's modus operandi. I think Venus will always be a fun deep-cut for fans and pop historians. But I highly doubt it's ever considered a staple or a "great" song.

I think the one thing I find most frustrating about this era is this bizarro war Gaga is trying to wage against critics. I mean, there's a difference between jack-ass reporters/gossip hounds and actual music critics. Critics can enrich and deepen our appreciation of a work of art, and the best criticism is art in and of itself, that provides a "counter-text" that interacts with the song, movie, book, etc. being discussed. Should a critic's opinion be treated as the end-all-be-all? Of course not. But do a lot of critics have more interesting, developed, nuanced, and informed opinions than a lot of the casual audience? Absolutely.

this is such a good comment  :worship:

Its only Venus that the GP does not like,

i think the GP really likes Applause and DWUW and Venus is just a promosingle so... :)

I feel sorry for everyone who is judging Gaga and not experiencing her albums. Because in the end all we do is having fun, we don't decide major world problems, and IDGAF to anyone who criticise and all.. They are the ones who are missing it..  :fthis:

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived