Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Gaga shuts down Madonna comparisons

yxi

Featured Posts

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sean Barnett

Gaga has said that she is "every icon", so even if she does copy Madonna, she obviously does it better.

She does not "copy" Madonna, dumbass.

Smooth Criminal

Gaga has said that she is "every icon", so even if she does copy Madonna, she obviously does it better.

Wtf? That makes no sense.  :wtf:

Ambrosia

In an interview many years after that, Madonna was somewhat making fun of herself for making that statement on American Bandstand.  So I don't see how that is relevant now.  I like them both and don't think they are all that similar.  They are both women and make music, that's about it.  If someone never would have started this silliness, I doubt I would've given it a second's thought.

Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others. -Socrates

llbcherry

I'm just short of 29 years and thus have the misfortune of first hand memory of many Madonna "moments" :usrs: and songs. I'm very open to most all types of music, but never have I ever liked Madonna. A few songs were ok (Frozen and uh.. Ummmm.. Well either way) BUT. My beef is this: she's not that attractive (just sayin, don't hate), she doesn't seem to have much actual talent, the music was blah, her attitude was ****ty back then, nowadays she acts entitled, and worst of all, all the praise she got for always "reinventing" herself, which is such a crock. She just stole fashion from different countries or died her hair or started talking with an accent (not like Gags in Berlin, that was to aide understanding.) and I just grrr dislike her! She seems so over-rated, acclaimed for no reason, and not even worthy of comparison to Gaga.

Maybe she is a lovely person. :wtfga: But every ounce of me says she sucks. Maybe my mother brainwashed me (she hated Madonna and John Denver) but I think I'd have come to this conclusion on my own.

I honestly do not get the comparisons at all. I saw both careers firsthand. Only thing in common is that for some reason, Madonna was a big deal. (*cough* WAS) and Gaga is like, legit a big deal. Change the world, grrl. Make them forget your unworthy predecessor.

notamember

I'm proud of her. Madonna only cares about herself, she is a self-absorbed narcissistic while Gaga is a kind person.

The main difference between the two of them, to be honest.

I'm just short of 29 years and thus have the misfortune of first hand memory of many Madonna "moments" :usrs: and songs. I'm very open to most all types of music, but never have I ever liked Madonna. A few songs were ok (Frozen and uh.. Ummmm.. Well either way) BUT. My beef is this: she's not that attractive (just sayin, don't hate), she doesn't seem to have much actual talent, the music was blah, her attitude was ****ty back then, nowadays she acts entitled, and worst of all, all the praise she got for always "reinventing" herself, which is such a crock. She just stole fashion from different countries or died her hair or started talking with an accent (not like Gags in Berlin, that was to aide understanding.) and I just grrr dislike her! She seems so over-rated, acclaimed for no reason, and not even worthy of comparison to Gaga.

Maybe she is a lovely person. :wtfga: But every ounce of me says she sucks. Maybe my mother brainwashed me (she hated Madonna and John Denver) but I think I'd have come to this conclusion on my own.

I honestly do not get the comparisons at all. I saw both careers firsthand. Only thing in common is that for some reason, Madonna was a big deal. (*cough* WAS) and Gaga is like, legit a big deal. Change the world, grrl. Make them forget your unworthy predecessor.

Madonna is STILL a big DEAL big enough to have people talk about the things she does.. she still sells out concerts and has people going crazy for products she puts out...

Aga Gydal

Madonna is a goddamn icon. She has conquered every visual and musical style and has proven that she's a great videographer, auteur, conceptual artist, performer, and songwriter. She has also committed herself to philanthropy around the world in a way Gaga has not held a candle to.

Putting her down as being "full of herself" is ridiculous because she gives more to charity and does more good around the world than our fave does. Fact. Yeah the Gaga-Madonna comparisons are annoying for both Gaga fans and Gaga herself because it seems to dilute her originality, but consider the fact that Gaga is the only female who seems to actually present an actual legacy-wide threat to Madonna. Take it as a compliment. 

Madonna and Lady Gaga are NOT original artists by any means. They're both innovative, bold, ambitious and talented women. They also both have one thing in common: Their artistry is heavily derivative. Madonna just came first. And the same way Madonna looked to Marilyn, Bette and Cher to craft her own vision, Gaga looks to Madonna to craft her own. Gaga will always invite comparisons to Madonna because of that but don't let that make you look at Madonna in a negative light. Without her Gaga would be a completely different artist today. Appreciate Madonna's legacy and use that appreciation to better understand Gaga's artistry, because despite the conflict the two seem to have Gaga HAS drawn a lot of her craft from Madonna's pioneering career, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. The same way Gaga's drawn from Madonna's career moves, Madonna will be drawing from Gaga's career moves today. 

Archived