Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Venus Reviews

Quark

Featured Posts

This was...expected.

Fans need to learn that just because something is different doesn't automatically make it good. Yes, much forward-thinking art is unappreciated in its time. But some forward-thinking art isn't forward-thinking so much as not-thought-out and slap shod.

Like, for starters, this song is definitely "weird," but from a production standpoint there's nothing THAT adventurous here. Overall, it's an song odd for Top 40, but she hasn't suddenly turned into Animal Collective or something. This song is messy. Now, that's part of its charm--this is the campest song she's had since Highway Unicorn, so its earnest bigness and messiness sort of add to the charm. But it's still a flawed song, and that was going to be obvious, and it was going to be talked about. IF this goes through any sort of critical reclamation, it will be because more people embrace it through that camp sensibility. Not because it's suddenly held up as a beacon from a compositional or production standpoint.

I enjoy Venus, it will be a fun deep-cut curio for her, I'm sure. But single material it was and remains not.

:legend: Experimentation or intention do not equal automatic quality.

I love Venus (heard it like ten times on repeat today) because it feels like ARTPOPga doing Famega and maybe a bit of MonsterGa and it's great fun. Like I said, "garden panty" is ridiculous and I love it.

The comparison with Highway Unicorn's campiness is, much to my horror, pretty spot on. I say "much to my horror" because when BTW came out, I listened to Highway Unicorn and it was my fave. No other song compared. Now I can't stand to listen to it and pretty much always skip it. I hope the same thing doesn't happen with Venus.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Did you see the born this way ball? That completely changed my views of highway unicorn. I'd say my views were on par with yours but seeing it live reinvented it to EPIC OMG CHILLS THIS IS AMAZING camp. Nothing like that moment. Amazing how her live performances have that power.

This was...expected.

Fans need to learn that just because something is different doesn't automatically make it good. Yes, much forward-thinking art is unappreciated in its time. But some forward-thinking art isn't forward-thinking so much as not-thought-out and slap shod.

Like, for starters, this song is definitely "weird," but from a production standpoint there's nothing THAT adventurous here. Overall, it's an song odd for Top 40, but she hasn't suddenly turned into Animal Collective or something. This song is messy. Now, that's part of its charm--this is the campest song she's had since Highway Unicorn, so its earnest bigness and messiness sort of add to the charm. But it's still a flawed song, and that was going to be obvious, and it was going to be talked about. IF this goes through any sort of critical reclamation, it will be because more people embrace it through that camp sensibility. Not because it's suddenly held up as a beacon from a compositional or production standpoint.

I enjoy Venus, it will be a fun deep-cut curio for her, I'm sure. But single material it was and remains not.

Now, I love you.

IDC BOUT THEIR OPINIONS... IM LOVING THE SONG... ITS MY FAV ATM... GAGA IS HERE to crash the critics saying "is it right or is it wrong?" :ohwell:

"Its still better than much of Prism"

:tea: cheers

HausOfMiklaus

I thought Popjustice were stans.. until they spewed out the harshest review in the block. I have no idea what happened. Bad day at work?

I love Sonic Reverie's and MStarz. They got it spot on.

Smooth Criminal

"The radio doesn't play this stuff though. Not yet. It's why Lady Gaga is such a treat to follow - she brings out music that you can't quite comprehend, then makes it into the next big thing. Mark my words, though, 'don't you know my ass is famous' is set to become a defining, iconic lyric of hers if this single takes off.
'Venus' is like nothing you've heard"

THIS.  :worship:

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived