Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Venus Reviews

Quark

Featured Posts

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DanceInTheFlames

The last review brings up a lovely point. People are clearly expecting a lot from Gaga, especially after their general love for DWUW. So the harsh reviews while sometimes rude are at least rooted on a general high expectation for her music.

Lord Axel

What people are missing is how stylistically unique and important this song is. The song transports me to 70s/early 80s space rock/disco down to its core. Not just in the Space as a theme and spacey synths and alien voices, but the melodies sound straight from that era. Not to mention this is the kind of Bowie/glam rock-esque song Gaga was born to make. You can just tell how this is truly the kind of music she wants and loves to make. It's richly inspired while being unique and if people are going to throw negativity/overlook its greatness then whatever. They can pass on an epic song and I will enjoy popping my *** to it like a space hippie till the end of days.

I love you

ʟɪᴠɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴏʟᴅ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ꜱɪʟᴠᴇʀ ᴅʀᴇᴀᴍ ϟ†▽✰𝒿 ~

half psychotic

"It's worrying, almost heartbreaking really, that this piss-poor, messy descent into self-parody was ever in the running for the second single from 'ARTPOP'."

Well damn.

PdogtheDaibutsu

I can't believe some of those "critics" actually have a job. Venus is literally a explosion of passion and craziness that gaga said ARTPOP was going to be about anyways. Why do some critics always think gaga's song have to be easy listening and uniform? They should know she is an experimental artist

VforVendetta

Popjustice's review is harsh but I'd say it's the most accurate in terms of the actual SONG. In terms of the concept, Sonic Reverie's review is spot-on.

Many said the same about BR and look at it now! Venus is definitely one of Gaga's best and most daring moments and those dichotomous reviews prove that.

This was...expected.

Fans need to learn that just because something is different doesn't automatically make it good. Yes, much forward-thinking art is unappreciated in its time. But some forward-thinking art isn't forward-thinking so much as not-thought-out and slap shod.

Like, for starters, this song is definitely "weird," but from a production standpoint there's nothing THAT adventurous here. Overall, it's an song odd for Top 40, but she hasn't suddenly turned into Animal Collective or something. This song is messy. Now, that's part of its charm--this is the campest song she's had since Highway Unicorn, so its earnest bigness and messiness sort of add to the charm. But it's still a flawed song, and that was going to be obvious, and it was going to be talked about. IF this goes through any sort of critical reclamation, it will be because more people embrace it through that camp sensibility. Not because it's suddenly held up as a beacon from a compositional or production standpoint.

I enjoy Venus, it will be a fun deep-cut curio for her, I'm sure. But single material it was and remains not.

freebit

These reviews are actually more positive than I thought they'd be. The only one who really dragged her is popjustice.

Gagaloo911

"Perhaps my vision is still a little clouded by the dust cloud still in the air after the “Do What U Want†meteor. It’s still better than much of Prism"

:tea:

Preach boo :witch:

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived