Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

UK Charts Discussion

WarriorPrince

Featured Posts

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SomethingMore

SomethingMore, drop the attitude. You may disagree with other members, but don't be snarky about it.

As for her "deserving" that #01, well, let's not pretend that's anything other than subjective :smh:

I don't know if you have noticed (probably haven't cuz you are ignoring his essays like most of the people :toofunny:) but that dude is obsessed with Cheryl.

In that post I only wanted to post some feedback about I Don't Care, cuz I was following that single's release.

Yeah, I kinda agree it is subjective, but he kept talking about it going #1 only cuz of the pre-order, which is not true. I explained it multiple times and yet he continued.  That annoyed me. 

Cheryl stays unbothered as the only UK female to have 5 #1 singles 

tumblr_m2g13rzJWC1qf9mevo1_500.gif

I don't know if you have noticed (probably haven't cuz you are ignoring his essays like most of the people :toofunny:)

The poster you're referring to is called Rachel. She's one of the very few users on here who likes to offer more than just a couple of sentences. Ya know, posts with substance, so again, drop the snarkiness. It's not flattering in the slightest.

As for Cheryl, hopefully she remains unbothered by those album sales of hers :(

SomethingMore

Not me underestimating GGD's population once again :rip: First Mills and now this :toofunny:

It's pretty obvious I've been talking bout Cheryl's single in my last couple of posts and not her album.

As a mod, you should consider dropping that attitude and stop posting flamebait posts.

Not me underestimating GGD's population once again :rip: First Mills and now this :toofunny:

It's pretty obvious I've been talking bout Cheryl's single in my last couple of posts and not her album.

As a mod, you should consider dropping that attitude and stop posting flamebait posts.

Me simply stating that I hope she's not bothered by her album sales not being particularly strong isn't flamebait so let's not try and deflect what I'm bringing up (and I'm WELL aware that you're talking about the single, there's no more points to be made about that one which is why I'm bringing her album up) by saying that I've got an "attitude" when that's very blatantly not the case, so once again, drop the unflattering attitude because we've had various problems with your behavior in the past and at THIS point, we'd have hoped for some kind of improvement.

Now her album is out, I can't see her having anymore hit singles :( Radio 1 support is clearly not where it should be, and her post-album singles never really do anything.

StrawberryBlond

I certainly don't have to write an essay to prove a certain member's obsession with Cheryl :toofunny:

But I will write an "essay" on something else :

Just by scrolling down I noticed that the single's pre-order is mentioned AGAIN. And how that's the reason she got the #1. I will repeat this for the 4th time in this thread, I Don't Care pre orders were TERRIBLE , it got a boost from having an iTunes banner (new releases section), reached #1, and than later The X Factor helped to mantain that #1. Here is the daily progress of the total sales :

Tuesday

1 Cheryl - I Don't Care (24.6k) *

Wednesday

1 Cheryl - I Don't Care (49.2k) *

Thursday

1 Cheryl - I Don't Care (57.4k)*

Friday

1 Cheryl - I Don't Care (64.3k)*

Sunday

1 Cheryl - I Don't Care (82.4k)*

As you can see it didn't get the #1 thanks to pre-orders as the sales were growing steadily every day.The single didn't free fall in its 2nd week, went down to #4, but it was 1k away from #3  selling 47,787 copies. The 2nd week drop was much better than Crazy,Stupid Love's. 

This week she is still top 10 on Spotify, #12 combined on iTunes due to many new entries (the most top 40 entries this year).

It's doing good, she deserved the #1. 

I don't know why I am even bothering......obsessed, full of hatred people will still continue to post about them being right and me "wanting to force them to say my opinion is right". Also for the whoknowswhat time, this is not a ****ing opionion ! It's a FACT. The numbers are right here ! The same numbers I posted already a few pages back.

If you have a problem with the pre-order system (and you said you do) than write in general, stop mentioning Cheryl !

I'll admit, I am a bit obsessed with Cheryl, but can you blame me when the media is trying to get us to like her 24/7? When the focus is on someone so much with high expectations, you can't not expect people to get obsessed, for good or bad. Maybe I do take too much delight in watching certain celebrities fail, but again, when they're so insufferable, you can hardly blame me.

I never claimed that the pre-order was the sole reason that she went to #1. I made it clear that this, plus a combination of the music video being released a month beforehand, two versions charting and her promo on the day of release on primetime tv was the reasons behind it. I am aware that pre-orders were terrible as I remember it dropped out the itunes 100 less than a week after it went on pre-order. I was bringing up the system in relation to her album in reference to Crazy Stupid Love's success too. A combination of the two singles going to #1 made it appear that there was going to be high demand for her album and there wasn't. My point is then that pre-order singles make an artist look bad when their album underperforms, which is at odds with them having a #1 single.

I have never stated that my opinion is correct and I'm not disputing your right to like Cheryl. But just as you are allowed to be a fan, I am allowed not to be. I haven't denied the facts you've posted, I have only quibbled the validity of deserved #1's, not in terms of quality, but in how fair the single's campaign is. And it's a fact that Cheryl does use industry tricks to get her #1's. She nearly always releases her lead single, second single and album on the run-up to Christmas, meaning she's perfectly timed for XF promo appearances and constant media coverage. She's featured other people on her singles to pull in another fanbase's sales. She puts her singles on pre-order. She makes her singles feature situations that are currently relevant to her to strike a chord with her fans to make them buy (Fight For This Love released just as the whole scandal with Ashley broke along with 3 Words plus the entire album, Promise This released just as it was rumoured that she was starting to date Derek, Crazy Stupid Love released just after she got married, I Don't Care released just as she's making her big XF comeback after falling out of the public's favour). While these things may not be "wrong" they are tricks and they are manipulative. And without these tricks, she wouldn't sell. And it's not just her, a lot of other supposed "stars" wouldn't sell either without these same tricks. It's all a media manipulation to make you think certain individuals are really popular and successful when they're actually not. It explains why so many singers get #1's when the public can't stand them at this moment in time.

I'm only talking about Cheryl in particular here because her name is attached to the most current pre-order. I'll move on to shading someone else who I feel got an undeserved #1 due to a pre-order when the time comes. Obviously, your love for Cheryl is making you very protective of her, but if you feel that strongly, perhaps it would be best to remain on her fan section rather than defend her to her non-fans and casual music listeners which is only going to result in arguments and both sides feeling insulted.

And Jase, thanks for your kind words. I sometimes fear that I maybe overstep the mark sometimes with my overly harsh critiques, so it's nice to know that my views are fine as long as I keep them respectful. I know some people find my opinions hard to take if they're fans of the person I'm critiquing, but I never intend to truly insult any of them, I just speak as a music critic, nothing more.

So it's pretty certain that Band Aid is gonna rob everyone of a #1 till the X Factor single?

won't be surprised if it's Band Aid and the X Factor single battling it out even then!

It's massive.

SomethingMore

Me simply stating that I hope she's not bothered by her album sales not being particularly strong isn't flamebait so let's not try and deflect what I'm bringing up (and I'm WELL aware that you're talking about the single, there's no more points to be made about that one which is why I'm bringing her album up) by saying that I've got an "attitude" when that's very blatantly not the case, so once again, drop the unflattering attitude because we've had various problems with your behavior in the past and at THIS point, we'd have hoped for some kind of improvement.

Now her album is out, I can't see her having anymore hit singles :( Radio 1 support is clearly not where it should be, and her post-album singles never really do anything.

Of course there is nothing you can say, cuz I basically shot down everything Rachel said. First it was the 2 versions that bothered her, than the pre-order and I see in her latest post she mentioned the music video, when in fact it's Cheryl's least streamed video ever, with only 4M views - Rachel I guess you didn't even bother to check the views.

And no, you didn't do the right thing as a mod. I was clearly done with the discussion when you replied with a shady comment. It was nice to see you standing up for Rachel tho but that was supposed to be the only thing you've done. There was no need to mention my previous problems with GGD, as that was a completely different situation, so it was unnecessary. Now it seems like I have some serious attitude problems, when in fact I just get annoyed with stubborn people (btw that isn't offensive, is it?).

And Rachel, I apologize for my behaviour. Sometimes I forget there are real people behind these usernames. You admitted being obsessed so that kinda helps my case :) but I should have tried to say some things in a nicer way. Just one more thing - you say "I just speak as a music critic, nothing more." but clearly in our discussion you were mostly talking about the chart system, I dont recall you posting any critique about Cheryl's music, sorry if I am wrong.

The thing is, I didn't even stan for Cheryl prior to the release of her latest album. I did want her to break the record and that's it, but the album is really great! I did listen a few tracks from her previous one, and this one is miles better so it's a shame it flopped this hard.

Btw it seems the Wake Me Up CIN cover might become the UK #1 with the worst chart run in history as it might not appear in the top 40 next week!

Of course there is nothing you can say, cuz I basically shot down everything Rachel said. First it was the 2 versions that bothered her, than the pre-order and I see in her latest post she mentioned the music video, when in fact it's Cheryl's least streamed video ever, with only 4M views - Rachel I guess you didn't even bother to check the views.

And no, you didn't do the right thing as a mod. I was clearly done with the discussion when you replied with a shady comment. It was nice to see you standing up for Rachel tho but that was supposed to be the only thing you've done. There was no need to mention my previous problems with GGD, as that was a completely different situation, so it was unnecessary. Now it seems like I have some serious attitude problems, when in fact I just get annoyed with stubborn people (btw that isn't offensive, is it?).

No, there's nothing else to say because the topic of how well the single is or isn't doing is beyond tedious. You think it's doing fine, I don't think it's doing particularly well and it's going to struggle to even hit 250k by the end of the year, and from a "major" UK pop star like she apparently is, that's kinda weak. :shrug:

Just because YOU say it was "shady" DOESN'T make it shady - again, stop talking like what you're saying is anything other than subjective. My Cheryl comment wasn't "shady" - it was directing the discussion in a way you didn't like because it discredits an artist you like and that's why you diverted what I said and that's why you've classed it as "shady". It's totally and utterly irrelevant that you were done with the discussion on Cheryl, I felt like wavering the discussion in a different direction to which you've only just acknowledged by saying that it's a "shame" that it flopped - why not just say that in the first place without all of the unnecessary stuff?

I brought up your past behavior because it's relevant to how you're acting - you're behaving inappropriately. Try respectfully debating and having a disagreement with somebody without HAVING to apologize because you've stepped out of line once again with your passive-aggressive (sorry Rachel although you were obsessed so that helps me!! :) ) behavior.

Archived