💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Discussion - Your Honest Thoughts/Reviews of Applause.

MelbHawker

Featured Posts

I super love the last parts (falsetto part to last chorus). At first, I wasn't too keen on the 80s videogame instrumental-- at first listen, I wanted to mute the intro-- but just like what Gaga said in her radio interview, it invoked a sense of retro-ness and I liked it.

It's not TEOG-good (but what is right?), but it's a representation of what made me become a Gaga fan, it's fun, catchy, danceable, and very Gaga. It's what we needed from the BTW era mess we all experienced. (Not the album, the meltdowns.)

It's a breather. I think it's a good 'gateway' to ARTPOP. It makes you go  :music:  and at the same time, it makes you go  :excited2:  and  :confused: . But I think our perceptions of Applause were somehow ruined by Aura's leak.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To concisely say how I feel about the song, 

Do I love it? Yes

Does it have the same magic as some of her other works? No 

However I should stress that the way I feel about songs drastically changes once the visuals and performances are introduced. But as a song its a perfect 3:33 pop piece, which although I do love, its not as much as I would have liked. 

But I do agree that this is necessary and a correct career move, so it doesnt annoy or even disappoint me. I am sure that she will cover my expectations and more with the album. 

Thisthisthis!

I do love it, but it doesn't make a statement, or have that 'magic' that I think I was expecting.

Great song though but I think maybe towards the end of her career it may be overlooked. I have a feeling that she has better songs on ARTPOP (maybe because Aura is basically perfection)

jackieshan

A cute unrelatable bop. Nothing more nothing less. It's one of her weakest lead singles; it doesn't have the "spark" the other lead singles had. Much looking forward to next single that hopefully isn't produced by DJWS.

Robotboy

i think its a perfect song and very fresh start since born this way(which i love so much ofc)

Remember that you are unique. Like everyone else.

Okay, so. Having moved past all the hype, I have thought long and hard about the song. I'm glad that the song is fun and radio friendly. It was (musically) everything I hoped for from a lead single. However, the pretentious, artsy and unrelatable lyrics make it difficult to relate to. It almost doesn't feel human. Even though, it was slightly messy, Aurqa had 75% great lyrics - "Do you wanna see the girl who lives behind the aura" makes gaga sound human and vulnerable, which is extremely relatable. I really wish we had better lyrics for this song.

The song as a whole does feel a bit rushed. It's almost as if the song was 4:00 long, but they decided to jam the extra 30 seconds into it so it would fit the radio. It leaves no room for an epic lyrical breakdown (HML, DIDT, BR) or instrumental (TEOG, AURQA). The production in the chorus sadly drowns out the most fun and catchy lines of the song, which makes the MASSIVE hook ineffective. Basically, we can hear the crappy lyrics clearly and loudly, but the best bits are drowned out.

That being said however, It is an absolute banger, and the only times I haven't had it on repeat have been to work.

First listens 9/10

Now 7.5/10

excuse me but how in the world is 'i stand here waiting for you to bang the gong to crash the critic saying is it right or is it wrong' bad lyrics. Maybe you guys need an explanation of the song so you can relate to. Here is applause in a nutshell - Whatever you do, do it for the applause not the fame, the right reasons not the wrong and dont let the 'critics' judge you because the bong hasnt been banged yet.

PoshLife

Gaga has had songs in the past where I *needed* to listen to it again and again. Bad Romance was one of those songs. Hair was one of those songs. Applause isn't. I could listen to it again right now and definitely enjoy it, or I could never listen to it again for the rest of my life and be perfectly happy. It just doesn't *stick* with me, and I'm not totally sure how to explain it.

But don't get me wrong: I like the song, I'm happy I bought it, and I'm REALLY excited for the video.

And like other people have mentioned, seeing the song visualized in the form of videos and performances definitely changes how I listen to and perceive the song. So if the video is good, I could end up loving Applause.

MelbHawker

To be honest I expected something more futuristic sonically.

This was my expectation as well. 

jhonyguy04

First listen : 9/10

Now : 7/10

I think Roar is better than Applause 

:udidnt: , but I want Applause to slay the chart  :hehe: 

then go stan for Brave 2.0. 

At first I was very disappointed. Especially with the chorus. Now I really like this song but I still think she can do better. I really like the vocals in the verses and the falsetto is really nice because it introduces more variety. The production is really simple and seems a bit outdated but it's still not bad. Actually, I like simplicity; a song doesn't have to contain 1000 layers of production to be good. However, simplicity should be done in an original way and this is the field in which the song (instrumental) lacks. Nevertheless, there are still some elements of production that I really like: the fast drums right before the chorus, the screams (?) in the verses and the synths in the chorus are nice too.

I also like the lyrics which are quite intriguing and make the song stand out from what's on the radio right now.

First listen: 63/100

Now: 82/100

DANCESEXARTPOP

excuse me but how in the world is 'i stand here waiting for you to bang the gong to crash the critic saying is it right or is it wrong' bad lyrics. Maybe you guys need an explanation of the song so you can relate to. Here is applause in a nutshell - Whatever you do, do it for the applause not the fame, the right reasons not the wrong and dont let the 'critics' judge you because the bong hasnt been banged yet.

Who can relate to that though? HONESTLY

Relatablility is a huge part of songwriting. This particular line is not so bad, because you can KIND OF relate it back to needing to feel loved. However things like "suddenly the koons is me" and "art and pop culture in me" are relatable solely to gaga. /

She has written songs similarly about herself before (see Hair), but the themes in those songs are relatable to other people. Which is what this song lacks, lyrically.

5/10

I honestly was excited and anxious to wait this song. I thought it was going to be something that would impact music again. Very dissapointing. the onlynthing I like? background "a-p-p-l-a-u-s-e". not feeling the verse vocals. it doesn't stand out the beauty voice gaga has. Charts doesnt lie, it was 4 on itunes yesterday the week it was release. not feeling it and lot of people neither. hope the album can save the song effect.

River

I love the song but I can't feel the power of it, the song starts, I enjoy it, and then it's over and I don't feel the wow or any emotion..

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

holy scheisse

bad romance - walk walk

Pokerface - i wont tell you that i love you kiss or hug you

paparazzi - real good we dance in the studio

just dance - half psychotic sick hypnotic

love game - i can see you standing there

ditd - marilyn judy sylvia

born this way - dont be a drag just be a queen whether ur broke

judas - in the most biblical sense i am beyond repetence

Get my point. These verses make the song exciting, everyone wants to hear that part, something applause lacks.

Wow... Reading all of these amazing parts of these amazing songs really brings it to my attention how lackluster Applause is...  :cry:

I love Gaga, and I will always support her! But personally for me, when I heard Applause the first time I was extremely underwhelmed. Like everyone else is saying, the production feels old. And the lyrics of the chorus are completely inaudible upon first listen. It took me like 5 times to understand what she was saying...

6/10 tbh. I love you Gags tho.

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived