Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

My Thoughts on Why Some Fans Care (Too Much?) About Charting

PoshLife

Featured Posts

Maybe I don't know a lot about this, but did she have any other option but to rush release it when it all started leaking? Especially since it was leaking about 8 days before the official release compared to 2 days for Katy Perry

Rush releasing affected her worse than a leak would've. People who bought it still would've bought it if it leaked. If someone didn't want to buy it, they'd just download the iTunes files. Rush releasing the DAY after Katy Perry's lead single was so ****ing stupid. As if Blurred Lines isn't enough competition.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
giskardsb

It's all fanbases, although I do think you mentioned some issues that may make this particular fanbase more susceptible.   What happens that that personal ego's get tied up in personal choices, for whatever reason.  If the choice is successful, then they feel successful, if the choice fails, then they feel failure.   When their choices are attacked, they attack back.  In order to elevate their own choices, they need to denigrate others. Thats why so many are always looking for "wins", so they feel good about themselves.  ITS ALL EGO.

This is completely misplaced in art IMO.  Gaga is not a sports team.  The competition is completely manufactured, and fans of Gaga should have enough self esteem to be comfortable with their choice of liking Gaga, no matter what opinions others may have.  Why do you need external validation to enjoy the music that you do?  It makes no sense to me, and prevents pop fans from coming together to support the industry and help it thrive with more interesting artists.

I don't follow the charts but this is beautifully said :clap:

Did you even read the OP :rip: it was in support of chart followers, not against them

I as actually replying to the people in the comments who said we wanted validation and ****. 

I also stopped reading OP after it started into a preachy BTW reject speech. AKA after the first line awkey:

Srsly tho, what kind of tacky.

giskardsb

Roar has too strong of a lead in the US so now we have to take the embarrassment of being BEHIND Katy Perry.

your personal embarrassment is misplaced and silly.  Do you enjoy applause or not?  why do you need external validation?  why does Katy being liked by more people cause embarrassment?  Why not be proud you like different music, instead of embarrased that you arn't part of the "winning" team?

Vernier

Rush releasing affected her worse than a leak would've. People who bought it still would've bought it if it leaked. If someone didn't want to buy it, they'd just download the iTunes files. Rush releasing the DAY after Katy Perry's lead single was so ****ing stupid. As if Blurred Lines isn't enough competition.

But the people who will buy it, will it buy it though, just like you said, rush release or not. At least bringing the date forward removes the chance of the people that would have bought it, downloading it freely and having it for one week before it's released, by which time they might not be that inclined?

I think the only difference it made was that, the rush release didn't let Katy Perry drop, like the release on the 19th would hvae.

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn

PoshLife

I as actually replying to the people in the comments who said we wanted validation and ****. 

I also stopped reading OP after it started into a preachy BTW reject speech. AKA after the first line awkey:

I'm sorry you didn't like my post. Other people did, and I'm at peace with that. That said, it takes a special kind of in-duh-vidual to join a thread without having read the OP. I'll let you decide what that kind of person is.

It's all fanbases, although I do think you mentioned some issues that may make this particular fanbase more susceptible.   What happens that that personal ego's get tied up in personal choices, for whatever reason.  If the choice is successful, then they feel successful, if the choice fails, then they feel failure.   When their choices are attacked, they attack back.  In order to elevate their own choices, they need to denigrate others. Thats why so many are always looking for "wins", so they feel good about themselves.  ITS ALL EGO.

This is completely misplaced in art IMO.  Gaga is not a sports team.  The competition is completely manufactured, and fans of Gaga should have enough self esteem to be comfortable with their choice of liking Gaga, no matter what opinions others may have.  Why do you need external validation to enjoy the music that you do?  It makes no sense to me, and prevents pop fans from coming together to support the industry and help it thrive with more interesting artists.

Very well-stated.

Oh my bad :laughga:

your personal embarrassment is misplaced and silly.  Do you enjoy applause or not?  why do you need external validation?  why does Katy being liked by more people cause embarrassment?  Why not be proud you like different music, instead of embarrased that you arn't part of the "winning" team?

Ya ya let's not get too spiritual. I love Applause. It's embarrassing because the whole fanbase said GaGa would have no trouble beating Katy and now Katy is winning. 

But the people who will buy it, will it buy it though, just like you said, rush release or not. At least bringing the date forward removes the chance of the people that would have bought it, downloading it freely and having it for one week before it's released, by which time they might not be that inclined?

I think the only difference it made was that, the rush release didn't let Katy Perry drop, like the release on the 19th would hvae.

Roar's first day sales from fans would've caused a decline in Roar's popularity by the 19th so it would've been easier for GaGa to take over.  

giskardsb

Ya ya let's not get too spiritual. I love Applause. It's embarrassing because the whole fanbase said GaGa would have no trouble beating Katy and now Katy is winning. 

It's only "embarassing" if you give others the power to use it against you.  

It's only "embarassing" if you give others the power to use it against you.  

She's probably embarrassed herself that she can't beat a woman who can't sing, can't dance, works with Dr. Luke, and sells concert tickets for $25. 

I'm sorry you didn't like my post. Other people did, and I'm at peace with that. That said, it takes a special kind of in-duh-vidual to join a thread without having read the OP. I'll let you decide what that kind of person is.

Hm, nice try at shade. I don't have any problem with you thread, and I did in fact end up read OP thank you very much. The only thing that's bothering me are, like I already said, the people who are trying to completely disregard the importance of the charts. Whether you like it or not, her going #1 in 30+ countries is not as good as her snatching the #1 in the US. That's where most of her sales and plays come from. Like I said, she's a popstar and the last thing she needs is to loose that star power. 

Galactic Mess

I agree with you.

Some fans use her chart success to compensate their own flaws, mistakes and insecurities. It's silly, but it's how they choose to deal with their problems. I try not to argue with/judge them. They already have a bad enough perception of themselves.

PoshLife

Hm, nice try at shade. I don't have any problem with you thread, and I did in fact end up read OP thank you very much. The only thing that's bothering me are, like I already said, the people who are trying to completely disregard the importance of the charts. Whether you like it or not, her going #1 in 30+ countries is not as good as her snatching the #1 in the US. That's where most of her sales and plays come from. Like I said, she's a popstar and the last thing she needs is to loose that star power. 

Thanks for reading it all. I agree with you that it's important she does well in the charts. But some people on here seem (to me) to be so deeply invested in her not just doing well, but being on top - these are the people who are upset she's still #2 and not #1 - that I found myself wondering whether there was something more personal to it.

So then I wrote this wall of text.

Ultimately it's speculative rambling, and I know that, but I wanted to share my thoughts since everyone else has been lately. There seem to be two groups of people on here: people who are super interested in the charts, and people who are super annoyed at the people who are super interested in the charts. I was trying to bridge the gap by saying, hey, we all connect with her and want her to do well, we just have different ways of expressing that and different definitions of success.

Thanks for reading!

Sakrai

i cried tbh. and I agree...

although if you stan for Gaga then you know that her song is good. You should trust her. The chart positions now reflect exactly what we knew the GP thought. They prefer Katy cause with BTW gaga went a bit too outré with the music so they don't trust her enough now.

If Gaga want the GP's love back, we can't do anything but support her until the GP listen to the song and make it succeed. fans rarely are the ones giving longevity to a song.

Oh, I'm just visiting-

Zilla

People forget that we just have to ride it out. It's all we can do, not like we are the ones calling the shots here. I am actually quite proud of how dedicated we are to get it to where it is, based off of little official promo.

Also, it's okay if you don't read the OP but how could you say you don't like it if you didn't read it? Please be respectful even if you dislike the writing style of the OP.

𝙸'𝚖 𝚊 𝚓𝚘𝚛𝚝𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚓𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚢 𝚜𝚑𝚘𝚎𝚜 𝚔𝚒𝚗𝚍 𝚘𝚏 𝚐𝚒𝚛𝚕.

• Mills locked this topic

Archived