Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

ARTPOP Single Info and Discussion Topic

ChicaSkas

Featured Posts

ARTPOPSYCHOLOGY

The original post of this thread needs to be edited. Ratchet is not a confirmed track nor is PARTYNASEOUS. Also, the the video already came out, not on 9/1

PrinceDieHigh

I was a little sad to find out Azealia isn't on ARTPOP but I think it'll be for the best

I'm so worried for the rest of the era now. Releasing Applause as the lead single was such a bad move by Interscope. Gaga didn't even want the song on the album, yet alone as the lead single. I know there are so many amazing songs waiting for us on the album that Gaga created, but I worry that Interscope is going to do what they did with the BTW era all over again and have the worst single choices while leaving the best songs on the album, or ruining the choices by putting them in the wrong order/releasing promo singles.

I really love the music video, but the direction she's taking doesn't seem right. Maybe future videos/performances will change my mind. But it seems she's gone even further in the direction of making herself out to be the greatest artist of her generation and making everything about art rather than about reality, which is exactly why she's losing favor with the public. It's not shocking anymore. And so much of her popularity relies on shock value. I think a lot of people believe that she takes herself too seriously and believes in her own hype. What made her successful before and different from the others was her sense of humor and her satire. She commented on society and the music industry in such oblique and interesting ways. It all got way too literal toward the end of TFM and during BTW.

I feel she should be doing the opposite of what she's doing right now. She should be acting as if she isn't an artist at all. She shouldn't be serious whatsoever. A jester, like she said. She should be making fun of herself and her own popularity. (She did that a bit with the "Lady Gaga is over" video, which was awesome.) She should be making herself anonymous. The music videos shouldn't even be about her. They should be about other people, and she just happens to be there, in the background, looking like a normal person. That would be so different from anything else anyone has ever done, and so cool, and such a subversion of expectation. Her songs should be enigmatic and mysterious, shifting mood and key suddenly, which would also be shaking things up a lot, since most pop music is the same chord progression anyway. None of this generic structure, like Applause. The structure should be all over the place, and that's what would make it exciting. Kind of like Aura, but pushed even further, and involving more of her classical music influences, maybe.

I've always enjoyed Gaga so much because she always delivers something different and subverts our expectations of her. But she's starting to get predictable. The idea of bringing art to pop is well-trodden territory for her. I don't see how this is subverting any expectation whatsoever. People are tired of the same old schtick from her. I love her to death, and even I'm getting a little sick of it. 

Sorry for the rant. I guess I'm really down about the single choice and the direction she's heading. I love Applause as an album track, but not as a lead single, and it's pretty obvious that much of the public feels the same. I've put so much faith in Gaga to come back slaying and was excited for so long for it, just for it to not happen. SIGH.

clamchwder

I'm so worried for the rest of the era now. Releasing Applause as the lead single was such a bad move by Interscope. Gaga didn't even want the song on the album, yet alone as the lead single. I know there are so many amazing songs waiting for us on the album that Gaga created, but I worry that Interscope is going to do what they did with the BTW era all over again and have the worst single choices while leaving the best songs on the album, or ruining the choices by putting them in the wrong order/releasing promo singles.

I really love the music video, but the direction she's taking doesn't seem right. Maybe future videos/performances will change my mind. But it seems she's gone even further in the direction of making herself out to be the greatest artist of her generation and making everything about art rather than about reality, which is exactly why she's losing favor with the public. It's not shocking anymore. And so much of her popularity relies on shock value. I think a lot of people believe that she takes herself too seriously and believes in her own hype. What made her successful before and different from the others was her sense of humor and her satire. She commented on society and the music industry in such oblique and interesting ways. It all got way too literal toward the end of TFM and during BTW.

I feel she should be doing the opposite of what she's doing right now. She should be acting as if she isn't an artist at all. She shouldn't be serious whatsoever. A jester, like she said. She should be making fun of herself and her own popularity. (She did that a bit with the "Lady Gaga is over" video, which was awesome.) She should be making herself anonymous. The music videos shouldn't even be about her. They should be about other people, and she just happens to be there, in the background, looking like a normal person. That would be so different from anything else anyone has ever done, and so cool, and such a subversion of expectation. Her songs should be enigmatic and mysterious, shifting mood and key suddenly, which would also be shaking things up a lot, since most pop music is the same chord progression anyway. None of this generic structure, like Applause. The structure should be all over the place, and that's what would make it exciting. Kind of like Aura, but pushed even further, and involving more of her classical music influences, maybe.

I've always enjoyed Gaga so much because she always delivers something different and subverts our expectations of her. But she's starting to get predictable. The idea of bringing art to pop is well-trodden territory for her. I don't see how this is subverting any expectation whatsoever. People are tired of the same old schtick from her. I love her to death, and even I'm getting a little sick of it. 

Sorry for the rant. I guess I'm really down about the single choice and the direction she's heading. I love Applause as an album track, but not as a lead single, and it's pretty obvious that much of the public feels the same. I've put so much faith in Gaga to come back slaying and was excited for so long for it, just for it to not happen. SIGH.

It would gather much interesting reactions from the public. But i feel, with this she would be way more experimental, going into the iamamiwhoami kind of indie experimental music scene, which would be excellent for her artistry, its literally boundless which i would love to see. BUT on the downside she will def lose a lot of fans and gain some new ones, its clear with Applause as a lead single, it was a safe choice to get the GP back on her track. The song is an ultimate generic radio club production, which is not what i expect from gaga, especially not the lead single. From what she has revealed, it was obvious how it was interscope who made the decision for the single, which is pretty sad, especially seeing how they messed up the BTW era.

I love how Kanye and JT have tried to experiment with their new music, JT's is def more easy for the GP to take in though although experimenting a little (which is maybe what gaga can try to do). Kanye's past 2 solo album have been nothing but great, the mixture of sounds and genres he brought together while still being rap. Its out of this world, you wouldnt expect him to use artist like Justin Vernon (from Bon Iver) and he manage to bind folk and hip hop tgt, its amazing or the classical baroque sounds. But as you can tell Kanye's music is not exactly made to top the charts. Maybe she could try to do a Grimes, def. something fresh but there are poppier tracks. Good music but also not exactly made with the intention to top the charts.

I feel that gaga shouldnt think about topping the charts, which i think she is subconsciously (or not that subconsciously) trying to acheive while making music. It should come out more natural, she should just experiment and if it does well it does well. Kinda like Bad Romance, i dont think that reaction to the song was predicted by her herself while she was producing it. She was legit trying to be more innovative and fresh with the new music. Thats what i feel about applause i guess, its too force. The generic radio hit sound is too force that in the end there is a missing piece of gaganess. Maybe she is trying to experiment w ARTPOP but first luring the public back w the first few singles, i mean she is already trying to be more legit artistic w guidance and collabs with real artists which the GP might find revolting. You would never see katy perry or say justin bieber naked in the mountains screaming AYEEEEEEEEE. Or hugging ice crystals.

Thats why i feel she's such an ironic popstar, she wants to be fully artistic but she wants to top the pop charts. She's so big but soooo many dont like what she pushes for. She's a huge pop musician but she's unconventional. But after she has become such a major star, it might be hard for her to say fall into the more mysterious/ unknown/ indie experimental route and not lose big amounts of fans and there will also be prejudgments from these more indie listeners. She will still have her monster stans no question. But honestly like everything you mentioned, if gaga wants to change and shape POP music, this is what she should do; although she should be ready for a major backlash by the GP or a big change and hooha in her fanbase. She goes a little out of line in the BTW era which i love and support and the GP already lose their interest. And yes i do agree BTW was quite literal, everything was what it was. What made gaga so interesting was that air of complex mystery she when she just broke out up till TFM. But i guess thats whats interesting about gaga, her career is something you cant exactly predict. 

But well, Applause may not be the 2013 new revolution music she promised but i wouldnt put down the album yet. We'll see the next steps and the previews of the few more songs during the iTunes festival. If the rest of the album is like Aura/Burqa, ARTPOP would def. be interesting. 

(Long post, TL;DR it's ok. Just a few of my thoughts on gaga and Applause and ARTPOP)

Bellatrix

If Interscope thought the same thought as I do Applause was a very smart move. This can be a new Just Dance/Poker Face situation.  She released Just Dance to get noticed and then later on slayed the whole world with Poker Face.  Since Gaga has said that ARTPOP feels like her first real album and that it has been described as a phoenix rising from the ashes, it is very possible that Applause was released so she could be renoticed and then slay again with the second single. 

toanythingtaboo

The campaign isn't in an ideal place, but it's not doomed. She's doing well, just not slaying as was expected.

If I were her, to improve GP relations I'd;

1. Prepare the second single for October release. The safest bet would be the PapaTele continuation which - if it isn't already - should feature Beyonce or whoever. If it's a solo track, she should get back to the studio and add a verse because this track will be guaranteed effortless hype and coverage as a collaboration, which is precisely what she needs to restart the era. Nobody will accuse her of damage control because we expect a collab and will act as a positivity infusion.

2. Give the second single the lead treatment. Go all out. Simultaneous radio debut and video premiere, radio deals, teasers, launch events etc.

3. Get on a high profile urban collab. Eminem, Jay Z, Kanye, JT etc. Write a killer hook and let them package it in a smash with hetero street cred. I'm surprised she didn't go to Jay or Kanye over Kendrick and Azealia considering they're friends, but whatever.

The rest depends on material, promo etc.

Not to be overdramatic, but she does have a few months before ARTPOP and if they've been bull****ting and Applause was chosen because it's the most radio friendly hit, it wouldn't be a bad move to get back in that studio to create a few more sure-fire, 100% guaranteed smashes. For her, with Applause and Aura...I expect it's more a case of revisiting verses of finished tracks, because the choruses are there. A stellar mid-tempo or a beautiful ballad may be more valuable than an album of uptempo dance.

EdgeofTeeth

If Interscope thought the same thought as I do Applause was a very smart move. This can be a new Just Dance/Poker Face situation.  She released Just Dance to get noticed and then later on slayed the whole world with Poker Face.  Since Gaga has said that ARTPOP feels like her first real album and that it has been described as a phoenix rising from the ashes, it is very possible that Applause was released so she could be renoticed and then slay again with the second single. 

I completely agree with this; I think Applause was released to get Gaga back in the public eye after being gone for awhile, and then the second single is going to be one of the best tracks of the album.

but interscope choose applause, i dont think theyd choose anything but the best song on the album for her comeback

LADY GAGA/madonna/katy perry/little mix/ariana grande/selena gomez/britney spears/taylor swift

Bellatrix

but interscope choose applause, i dont think theyd choose anything but the best song on the album for her comeback

I know Interscope chose it. That's why I said "If Interscope thought the same thought..."

So I hold on to my theory :)

I know Interscope chose it. That's why I said "If Interscope thought the same thought..."

So I hold on to my theory :)

sorry i missed that part, i hope you're right

LADY GAGA/madonna/katy perry/little mix/ariana grande/selena gomez/britney spears/taylor swift

I completely agree with this; I think Applause was released to get Gaga back in the public eye after being gone for awhile, and then the second single is going to be one of the best tracks of the album.

Totally agree with you guys. There's no denying that "Applause" is a kick ass song that people are loving and will continue to appreciate --- it's a grower not a show-er.

I think Interscope just wants to whet the appetite of everyone - give them an undeniably great track but not the "best" track, and then knock them out with the follow up. It'll just build momentum for the album release. 

You don't want to lay all your cards out on the table. You don't want to give away all your tricks. You don't open a concert with "Bad Romance." 

I think it's the same principle with the marketing of this album. 

• Shadow locked this topic