Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Gaga's meat dress inspires handbags using cow's STOMACH lining

Bambino

Featured Posts

Bambino

:legend:

An offal idea? Scottish student with her sights on Lady Gaga creates handbag collection using cow's STOMACH lining

JHcIw7T.jpg

From Lady Gaga's meat dress to necklaces made from pheasant's skulls, some designers use all sorts of weird and wonderful materials to create 'carcass couture'.

And one Scottish design student is following suit by creating a handbag line from tripe in honour of one of Scotland’s most iconic creatures.

Jocelyn Mather, 23, has crafted the unique and somehow luxurious collection of bags using the stomach lining of a Highland Cow – after realising how much of the animal goes to waste once it is slaughtered.

Jocelyn, a 4th year studying at Edinburgh Napier University, said: '40 per cent of the animal is edible but a lot of the "off-cuts", like tripe are used for dog-food.

'A lot of abattoirs also sell the hides on to customers in Italy and I just thought, this is our national animal, why aren’t we more proud of it?!'

Her four statement bags, which will go on display at the University’s Creative Degree Show from 24th May, were all hand stitched.

The fastenings are also made using the animal’s horns and bull-ring.

'My lecturer kept saying they would look great on Lady Gaga', said Jocelyn.

'It was really hard to get hold of tanned tripe so I attempted the tanning process myself in my bath. I had to leave the tripe soaking there for about a week before hanging it to dry on my clothes rack. My friends thought I was mad.'

The talented student also hit a further hiccup along the way when her flat was raided by wildlife officers.

'My letting agent had been carrying out an inspection in my flat and had obviously come across a pair of cow horns', Jocelyn said.

'But he had thought they were ivory tusks and called the police! I was terrified, but they just laughed when they saw the horns.'

The budding designer hopes her creations go some way to make people think differently about animals.

'If each butcher was given one cow, one pig and one sheep to feed his local community every part of the animals would be used, but in this day and age of mass-farming that just doesn’t happen.

'I wanted to show more respect for this stunning animal by using its less palatable pieces to create something beautiful and unique.'

Dailymail.co.uk

Didymus

Well, I guess I don't disagree with it and it is a good way of dealing with the "waste" of animal slaughter, but shouldn't you think we should fight the current mass animal slaughter instead? :rip:

Bambino

Well, I guess I don't disagree with it and it is a good way of dealing with the "waste" of animal slaughter, but shouldn't you think we should fight the current mass animal slaughter instead?

You're a fan of a woman who wore meat and then said 'if you kill a cow, you gotta make a meat dress.' Bye

:hor:

Didymus

You're a fan of a woman who wore meat and then said 'if you kill a cow, you gotta make a meat dress.' Bye

I guess I see a difference :hor:

"I am not a piece of meat" is quite the opposite of this story :rip:

Bambino

I guess I see a difference :hor:

"I am not a piece of meat" is quite the opposite of this story

AND she likes meatballs. :hor:

RAMROD

Yay good for her being creative and inspired. :party:

ideas are expensive

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Sister

I think it looks good, I wouldn't need to know any details about any of it.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived