Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Top 10 Biggest Music Markets: 2013 IFPI Report (USA still at the top)

Dangerous Man

Featured Posts

Dangerous Man

I don't know if this is already posted, so please tell me if it is, then I'll hide this thread.

COUNTRY - TOTAL SALES IN 2012 ((+)INCREASE/(-)DECREASE FROM 2011)

1. USA - $4.48 billion (-0.5%)

2. Japan - $4.42 billion (+4%)

3. UK - $1.33 billion (-6.1%)

4. Germany - $1.29 billion (-4.6%)

5. France - $907 million (-2.9%)

6. Australia - $507 million (-6.8%)

7. Canada - $453 million (+5.8%)

8. Brazil - $257 million,(+8.9%)

9. Italy - $217 million (-1.8%)

10. Netherlands - $216 million (-4.7%)

Some countries in the top 20 are at the article below.

full article:

IFPI 2013 Recording Industry in Numbers: Global Revenue, Emerging Markets Rise; U.S., U.K., Germany Drop

NEWS
By Richard Smirke, London | April 08, 2013 5:00 AM EDT

An increase in digital, performance rights and sync revenues, combined with the rise of rapidly growing emerging markets, contributed to a 0.2% rise in global trade revenue generated by the recorded music industry in 2012, according to the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry's (IFPI) annual "Recording Industry in Numbers" (RIN) report, published today (April 8).

As reported on Feb. 26 this year, when IFPI published its annual Digital Music Report, global recorded music sales totaled $16.5 billion in 2012, an increase of 0.2% on the previous year. More importantly, 2012 was the first year of industry growth since 1999, says IFPI, whose latest "Recording Industry in Numbers" report provides more detailed a--lysis and statistics on the current global music business.

IFPI Digital Music Report 2013: Global Recorded Music Revenues Climb for First Time Since 1999

According to this year’s RIN study, all revenue streams tracked by IFPI, with the exception of physical, grew in 2012. Global digital revenues were up 8% to $5.8 billion, climbing from $5.4 billion the previous year. Performance rights revenue was the fastest growing sector in the music industry, rising 9.4% to $943 million, up from $862 million in 2011. Synchronization grew 2.1% and totaled $337 million, up from $330 million. Global revenues from physical was $9.4 billion, a 5% decrease on 2011’s total of $9.9 billion.

Despite its 5% fall in trade revenue, physical still accounts for 57% of global recorded music sales, down from 60% in 2011. Digital now makes up 35% of global market (up from 33%), while performance rights equals 6% (up from 5%) and sync revenues account for 2% (level with 2011) of global recorded music sales. In five of the top twenty markets, digital sales now account for more than 50% of recorded music revenues, says IFPI.

In the global rankings, the U.S. retains the top position with sales totaling $4.48 billion, a slight 0.5% fall on the previous year’s total of $4.51 billion. U.S. physical sales in 2012 totaled $1.53 billion in trade value (down from $1.84 billion in 2011), accounting for 34% of the domestic market, according to IFPI.

U.S. digital sales totaled $2.60 billion (up from $2.34 billion), accounting for 58% of the market.

Performance rights totaled $161 million (up from $130 million) accounting for 4% of total recorded music revenues in the U.S., compared to a global average of 6% and an European average of 10%. U.S. sync revenue was $191 million in 2012, up from $187 million in 2011, representing 4% market share.

The world’s number two market remains Japan, which experienced 4% growth in 2012, with recorded music sales totaling $4.42 billion, up from $4.25 billion in 2011. In third position is the United Kingdom, which, thanks to a weak Euro against the dollar, overtakes Germany, despite experiencing a 6.1% fall in recorded music sales. In 2012, U.K. music sales totaled $1.33 billion, down from $1.41 billion the previous year. Germany falls one place in the world rankings to number four, with music sales totaling $1.29 billion in 2012, down 4.6% on 2011’s figure of $1.36 billion.

The rest of the top ten music market rankings are as follows: France ($907 million, down 2.9%), Australia ($507 million, up 6.8%), Canada ($453 million, up 5.8%), Brazil ($257 million, up 8.9%), Italy ($217 million, down 1.8%) and Netherlands ($216 million, down 4.7%).

In total, nine of the world’s top twenty markets posted growth. Of those, Sweden ($176 million, up 18.7%) and India ($146 million, up 22.1%, representing its highest-ever sales level) moved up two places to #12 and #14, respectively. Norway ($118 million, up 6.7%) moved to #18 and China ($92 million, up 9%) re-entered the top twenty at #20, replacing South Africa ($85 million, down 5.8%).

Reflecting on the report, IFPI chief executive Frances Moore said in a statement: “After more than a decade of decline, the industry is on the path to recovery, with global revenues increasing for the first time since 1999.â€

“At an international level, there is a renewed sense of optimism,†she continued. “This development has not happened by accident. The music world has adapted to the digital world. Today, it provides consumers with the experiences they want and is successfully monetizing music through a range of business models.â€

US and Japan are so close!!! :shocked:

"A little less conversation and a little more touch my body."

EthanPamyu

Get that #1 spot this year nihon  :party:

Pop Art

Oh so the UK took over Germany again? And damn, Japan is getting close to the US in terms of market size. I'm telling you, artists need to start focusing more attention over there. It's a goldmine that many don't know about. GaGa's been smart in going there so often. Thanks for posting this!

Dangerous Man

Oh so the UK took over Germany again? And damn, Japan is getting close to the US in terms of market size. I'm telling you, artists need to start focusing more attention over there. It's a goldmine that many don't know about. GaGa's been smart in going there so often. Thanks for posting this!

This.But I think Japanese are the ones that aren't open to foreign acts.

Economy

wow Japan has like half the population as the US and the total sales are almost as much :lmao:

And Australia has a lower population than Canada yet they beat us by 1 spot

Dangerous Man

wow Japan has like half the population as the US and the total sales are almost as much :lmao:

And Australia has a lower population than Canada yet they beat us by 1 spot

Now that you mention it, Japan is amazingly a big music market. :awesome:

This. Soon enough Japan will be where it's at when it comes to selling music. That market apart from the U.S. is really good.

VforVendetta

So, since Judas went top 3 In Japan, top 2 in Brazil, top 3 in Italy and top 6 in Australia it isn't such a flop as some of you claim it to be.

good for Gaga she dominates Japan :clap:

Bad for the other local acts....

:trootea:

Dangerous Man

So, since Judas went top 3 In Japan, top 2 in Brazil, top 3 in Italy and top 6 in Australia it isn't such a flop as some of you claim it to be.

you kinda have point.

RAMROD

I am not surprised with Japan.

They have always been open and appreciative with any style and genres, no matter how weird it is.

And it reflected to their own music which are so unique sounding.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Harry

Japan has a huge market but I believe only a small percentage of singles and albums bought there are international releases... Definitely bodes well for Gaga that she's so big there and promotes there a lot. US will always be the place to be successful for Western artists though.

UK overtaken Germany again, interesting

Archived