💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Japan Charts Discussion

Freddy

Featured Posts

Japanese Year End Radio Airplay (must be international)

#02 Born This Way

#05 Judas

#35 The Edge Of Glory

Japanese Itunes Year-End (dont know if it's international only, must be)

01 Born This Way

13 Poker Face

18 Judas

Judas did really great in Japan D:

Edited by Freddy

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freddy

• Dangerous Man

• Pazuzu

• SomethingMore

Dangerous Man

Whatever song she will release in JAPAN will sell.. coz shes the queen there.. :bleh:

"A little less conversation and a little more touch my body."

Sales this week :

26 - Born This Way The Remix - 4,162

40 - Born This Way - 3,334

Totals:

BTW the remix = 22,932

BTW = 658,554

Sales should explode when she goes there for Xmas :)

:roll:

You don't get to be queen of a market for selling well two-three years . She sells well, but she hasn't made any sort of impact on the Japanese industry or influenced many artists or pop trends in Japan like, say, Utada Hikaru's introduction of R&B to Japan, or Ayumi Hamasaki's general shaping of the entire pop market from 2000-2005/6. Electronic and Dance music is still generally not successful in Japan. The only occurrence of it has been the Hallyu wave, which has been influencing the Japanese market.

If R&B was newly introduced and danceelectronic generally isn't big, what is their main form of pop?

If R&B was newly introduced and danceelectronic generally isn't big, what is their main form of pop?

Most of their pop is highly saccharine, electronic elements are coming into fashion, but not dance. There's some Eurobeat influence left over from the nineties, and sugary pop songs are popular. This abomination single sold one million physical CD copies on its first day alone. Most of their big hits, however, are ballads. Japan eats ballads up like crack. The two top selling artists of all time in Japan are also Rock bands(Mr. Children and Southern All Stars), that has a bigger impact over there than it does in the states anymore. R&B's not exceptionally new, Utada Hikaru brought it to prominence in 98-99. I'm sure they did have some R&B before that, but Utada Hikaru is largely responsible for nearly single-handedly making the genre marketable and popular in the country.

Electronica and dance music DO exist in Japan, they're not unheard of, they simply are not successful. Gaga's an anomally in that regard, I'm not sure how to explain her success based on whats actually popular in the Japanese Market.

Edited by gracie

Ballads though don't cross language barriers well.

You look at foreign language acts that make any impact in USUK, they either have a s-xy or unusual image, or their music is driven by beats and instruments. So we know about s-xy Shakira, and metal bands like Rammstein.

Edited by craig

Some great news before she lands in Japan :

The Edge of Glory is now gold for both PC downloads and cellphone downloads, for a total of 200k

Judas is now gold for both PC downloads and cellphone downloads, for a total of 200k

Born This Way is now platinum for both PC downloads and cellphone downloads, for a total of 500k

:)

***Couldnt find a trustable source for Judas and Born This Way but TEOG is real :)

Edited by Freddy

Dangerous Man

sorry to say this again, but gaga is the queen of Japan...lol. :lala:

"A little less conversation and a little more touch my body."

Gaga on Itunes before any promo in Japan

Singles :

Born This Way = 34! (also 102)

TEOG = 84 (also 769)

Poker Face = 90 (also 899)

Marry the Night = 280

You and I = 523

Americano

Her sales will begin to rise now just from her landing in the country.

I imagine the publicity around her in Tokyo is huge.

Her sales will begin to rise now just from her landing in the country.

I imagine the publicity around her in Tokyo is huge.

Apparently it did, so :party:

afaik she's one of the biggest foreign stars there, right? Not counting the K-pop wave.

3 points in and ready for more