question

G.U.Y. flopping makes no sense

ThisGuyTony

Featured Posts

Ladle Ghoulash
8 minutes ago, StarstruckIllusion said:

Wow

This thread is the first time I’ve ever seen GUY slander in my life

But yeah, all I can do is echo the lateness in the era, her bullying in the media being the highest it’s ever been, how no one cared about her/were tired of her, and the music video being 7 mins long probably didn’t help

We all thought it was the end times for her career 

So happy she saved herself w the Sound of Music, Jazz, AHS and Super bowl

It is, regrettably, deeply mid. 

• Sad 1

StarstruckIllusion
5 minutes ago, Ladle Ghoulash said:

It is, regrettably, deeply mid. 

It is top 3 in ARTPOP, top 10 of all her singles, and def Top 20 of her entire discography, actually 

• Like 1
  • Shook 1

Ladle Ghoulash
2 hours ago, StarstruckIllusion said:

It is top 3 in ARTPOP, top 10 of all her singles, and def Top 20 of her entire discography, actually 

Definitely in the top 15 of ARTPOP, top 39 of all her singles, and the top 94 of her discography, I’ll give you that! 

Edited by Ladle Ghoulash
  • LMAO 13

People just didn’t care lol Gaga wasn’t doing much that people were into, the industry wasn’t interested in promoting her AT.ALL. and on top of all of that, the song was aggressive and conceptually kind of confusing without having it explained to you.

• Like 2

Future Lovers

It kinda makes perfect sense? Like nothing about the circumstances at the time indicated it was gonna be successful.

It was the third single that was coming off the back of a single that didn't really go anywhere for obvious reasons. It was four months after the album was released and two months before the tour began so she was very much winding down on hard push for the album. The video, while great, was really long and for a lot of people didn't have a ton of rewatch value (hence the release of the shortened version which I believe may be the more viewed version but I could be 100% wrong on that). 

By the time the single and video were released, the era had already bottomed out. The mixed reception to the album had already done it in, the album was declining in sales, her image was already damaged, and it was too little too late. 

Yeah she promoted but that means very little when people just don't care, and in March 2014 people really didn't care. 

Edited by Future Lovers
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

SevenWonder

GUY is good song, but it didn't stand out from other EDM songs enough. She should have released Gypsy as the third single. It was a total different sound - very GP friendly - and might have had a SLIM chance to save the era.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ladle Ghoulash
2 minutes ago, ALGAYDO said:

People saying GUY is a bad song need these ears cleaned!! :grr:

It’s not *bad*, I just think it’s overrated by the fan base and I don’t think it’s aged exceptionally well. 

• Like 3

skedaddleBItCh

Applause was literally the only hit out of the album. Everything else other than the MV release of Applause and the album itself, nobody really talked about that much 

🇵🇭༼;´༎ຶ ۝ ༎ຶ༽🇵🇭
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, skedaddleBItCh said:

Applause was literally the only hit out of the album. Everything else other than the MV release of Applause and the album itself, nobody really talked about that much 

DWUW was also a hit. A minor one, but still a hit. It hit the top 10 in many markets WW. In the U.S. it sold over 1.3 million pure sales, and had a big radio audience. The lack of video hurt it a lot, but it's still considered a hit.

Dance. Sex. Art. Pop.
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, 27monster27 said:

See I never understood arguments like this though because Ariana got a strong top five hit with "Break Free" and that was also Zedd produced and very much so a heavy EDM song.

Well, it's a group of different things in the case of G.U.Y. flopping commercially. Ariana had a similar sound in 2014, but she was not only getting bigger than Gaga at the time, she was younger and had a more "clean" aesthetic compared to ARTPOP-Gaga, and it also came after Problem ft. Iggy (a non electronic song) wich was way more fitting with the sound of 2014. There has always been electronic pop music, but at the time ARTPOP was released and specially the G.U.Y. music video, the "popular sound" was starting to move into a more simplistic sound as we saw during 2014-2016. Ariana was debuting worldwide at the time.

A similar thing happened with Katy Perry and PRISM. When she released This Is How We Do in mid-late 2014 (a very electronic sound, similar to ARTPOP) and even with many global hits prior as Roar or Dark Horse, the song didn't chart as high as any other single for that album at the time. During 2014 people were shifting to a more retro or "real" sound to pop music (Wildest Dreams, Blank Space, Royals, All of Me, Stay With Me...)

Also, the lyric content or the mv for Break Free were way more relatable than anything G.U.Y. related, so it was hard for Gaga to even compete with a public that was fed up with her at the time.

could mean anything

gagzus

i've been a fan since day dot (this saying alone being kinda funny and very 2010 tells you that lol) and i remember the DAY the songs started leaking we were in the height of Gaga standom online when there were "famous" gaga fans (tobeymonster, MarcMonster, Maikeeb etc) and they ALL proclaimed it as a return to form and very old school Gaga ala Bad Romance. 

What a wild and weird time in hindsight

• Like 1

I feel like it wasn't pushed nearly enough but also yeah the GP just wasn't featuring it!

I'm always shook looking at the PRISM singles.. ROAR was MASSIVE, then we get flop Unconditionally, then we get biggest hit of career Dark Horse, then we get 2 more flops (but bops!) w TIHWD and Birthday.