Flippy

Will you be watching?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be watching?

• Yes, I can't wait!
    • No, I hate good movies!

Featured Posts

RahrahWitch

Halle embodies Ariel so well :applause: The cgi though :poot: looks pretty questionable in some parts, If there was one movie to tone down on the realism this was it.

• Thanks 1

andy232000

Not gonna lie this looks absolutely terrible in every way. Not one single casting choice was done right, but the one that bothers me the most is Melissa as Ursula…maybe its like Will Smith in Aladdin who I had zero hopes for but ended up being good, but until I am proven wrong about that I just cant see her in such a nuanced and evil role

Edited by andy232000

COOOK
2 minutes ago, andy232000 said:

Not one single casting choice was done right

Umm, they couldn't get a more exact choice for Prince Eric

rs_1024x759-191112173353-1024-Jonah-Hauer-King-prince-eric-little-mermaid-disney.jpg?fit=around%7C1024:759&output-quality=90&crop=1024:759;center,top

I have to agree with you on Melissa though

andy232000
42 minutes ago, COOOK said:

Umm, they couldn't get a more exact choice for Prince Eric

rs_1024x759-191112173353-1024-Jonah-Hauer-King-prince-eric-little-mermaid-disney.jpg?fit=around%7C1024:759&output-quality=90&crop=1024:759;center,top

I have to agree with you on Melissa though

I can get down with Eric yes! I still would’ve wished for a bit more older looking man but I think it works. If his performance is good then its not a bad choice 

• Like 1

Omar Vela
3 hours ago, RahrahWitch said:

Halle embodies Ariel so well :applause: The cgi though :poot: looks pretty questionable in some parts, If there was one movie to tone down on the realism this was it.

Her voice is a 100000 for me but she doesn't seem to show any emotion and her expressions are pretty dull. Even for a trailer.
"He was drowning I had to save him :koons:"

Peroxide555
22 hours ago, Xardas said:

Maybe I will be criticized for this comment but almost none of Disney live action movies were good and this one will probably be one of the worst ever. CGI, costumes and hair look plastic. The whole magic taken away. And this unnecessary, drama/promo-fueling race swap decision is some of the most stupid disney decisions ever (the video below explains why). 

But, regardless of the terrible casting decision that may give a beautiful amd talented actress/vocalist some very hard time, the movie visually will be so so bad. The characters, animal models, underwater scenery and movement, TAILS (!) tentacles, hair, make-up. Not an upgrade from Disneyland designs. Gonna watch this just for the little hope of proving myself wrong, but after the trailers it's very unlikely to happen 

I’m kinda sick of people trying to find ways to get angry about Ariel being black… I’ve seen this video multiple times and I don’t like her take.

Sure, create new roles for actors of colour, create original characters that are fleshed out and represent different communities. That being said… when it comes to the Disney princess line-up, diversity was seriously lacking until the 2000’s… and most of Disney’s “big” princess movies are white. These movies are guaranteed to make a lot of money (thanks to nostalgia) - so why not use this opportunity to feature a little representation?  The only black Disney Princess is Tiana and God knows her movie isn’t getting a live-action remake.

It’s been really lovely to see all those reaction videos of little black girls seeing a Disney Princess on screen that looks like them - surely that matters more than any other counter argument?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Xardas
1 hour ago, Peroxide555 said:

I’m kinda sick of people trying to find ways to get angry about Ariel being black… I’ve seen this video multiple times and I don’t like her take.

Sure, create new roles for actors of colour, create original characters that are fleshed out and represent different communities. That being said… when it comes to the Disney princess line-up, diversity was seriously lacking until the 2000’s… and most of Disney’s “big” princess movies are white. These movies are guaranteed to make a lot of money (thanks to nostalgia) - so why not use this opportunity to feature a little representation?  The only black Disney Princess is Tiana and God knows her movie isn’t getting a live-action remake.

It’s been really lovely to see all those reaction videos of little black girls seeing a Disney Princess on screen that looks like them - surely that matters more than any other counter argument?

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I wouldn't mind having a black mermaid if it wasn't just a cheap-looking copy of an original. The CGI and characterisation of the new Ariel is giving that impression. The mermaids in the movie look just a bit better than an aquarium cosplay mermaids with plastic colorful tails. Because of it and the drama (the creators were certainly hoping for in order to make it loud - and the succeeded) will certainly do more harm than good for the representation and I am telling it just after seeing the trailer. The movie will be 1:1 plot copy made of real actors and poor visuals Hollywood wasn't really ready to pull off. This is just my opinion but I am quite sure the movie will be not critically acclaimed and audience favorite. I bet it can do worse even than The Lion King

IG: @bartoszprazuch

Omar Vela

337182673_1724506024632375_1207574538777

Made another edit, I don't understand why they went too minimalistic and sad on her design. I added some things and fixed that brown hair color that doesn't have anything to do with Ariel.

Galvon
On 3/14/2023 at 2:10 AM, Peroxide555 said:

Tiana's movie is still too recent for a remake, I think. 

Flippy

I guess I’m tasteless because I wanna watch this :billie: 

LET. PEOPLE. ENJOY. THINGS. :ohwell:

TMBT 3.22.11 // TBTWB 1.17.13 // ArtRAVE 6.3.14 // C2CT 5.28.15 // TJWT 8.13.17 // Chromatica World Tour 9.8.22
  • Thanks 1

PunkTheFunk

I think Halle is a great choice for Ariel but I HATE how they go for realism with these Disney live action remakes. It makes the movie look so drab and depressing, unless that's the point.

• Like 4

Anderson123

Halle does have an incredible voice so no doubt the musical numbers are going to be great but damn this movie rollout is going to be messy. I have a feeling critics and fans are going to be harsh on it. 

• 3 weeks later...
monstertoronto

Prince Eric is the hottest Disney prince and I’ve been super curious to see the live action version. Some pics have been released and he looks great and just like the animated one! Great casting and these scenes really capture the look and feel of the original!

10-DD89-C7-2760-4-E65-9-CE5-1-B5-F39-AAA

D25-FBC97-4824-4-E04-8539-DA854-CA0-BA94

Note to mods: the only tag that was offered to me was “series” even though the category is “Movies and TV”. Shouldn’t there be a “movie/film” tag option? 

• YAAAS 1

• PartySick changed the title to The Little Mermaid (2023)
  • Flippy changed the title to The Little Mermaid (2023) - Official Thread
  • PartySick featured this topic
  • PartySick unfeatured this topic