Will you be watching?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be watching?

• Yes, I can't wait!
    • No, I hate good movies!

Featured Posts

franminervini

Loooved it 🥰🌈🧜‍♀️

Have you checked the Charts Thread today?!
  • YAAAS 1

Sneaky Oliver

I saw it last night and I wouldn’t say amazing but it’s definitely good. The CGI is gorgeous. 

I remember it used to be one of my favorite Disney movies when I was a child but there were scenes I didn’t remember or they really made them different. 

I know we cannot expect an Oscar winner performance from a Disney movie for children but the acting overall did feel awful 

I’m on my Legacy Act era
  • Like 1

Franch Toast

I just came from seeing the movie. I really enjoyed it, and I cried several times. I thought the CGI was amazing. 

Halle Bailey was for me a bright spot of the film. Her voice and acting totally fit the part of Ariel, and she brought a lot of emotion to the singing. She's very charismatic. I found the prince kind of a doofus, but then, Disney princes usually are. 

What I am less enamored with are the changes to the music. 

Firstly, the three new songs penned by Lin-Manuel Miranda do absolutely nothing for me. The two ballads are forgettable, and the "Scuttlebutt" song is grating and doesn't fit the vibe of The Little Mermaid, at least not to me. To have these three new songs added and then "Daughters of King Triton" and the fun, charming "Les Poissons" cut is such a travesty (even though I understand that the latter would be hard to pull off with realistic-looking CGI in a kid-friendly movie, since it involves a chef chopping up fish). To be clear, I generally enjoy Miranda's compositions and am a huge Hamilton fan, but the new music fell flat to me and not on par with the other songs. (Rest in Power, brilliant Howard Ashman) 

I also don't think it was necessary to make changes to the lyrics of "Kiss the Girl" and "Poor Unfortunate Souls." I think it's obvious that Ariel very much wanted to be kissed, and while I'm all for encouraging consent, I really don't think it needed to be spelled out like that in the song. It's also a loss omitting one of the funniest verses from "Poor Unfortunate Souls"––Ursula is a villain, so why would anyone listen to that song and think that girls should be quiet when it's a freaking sea witch saying that? (The "don't underestimate the importance of body language" line with the little dance is one of my favorites)

Again, I want to reiterate that I enjoyed the film and willl likely watch it again, and Halle knocked it out of the park.   

She/Her/Hers
  • Thanks 2

Whigney Houstan
On 5/28/2023 at 3:55 AM, Levine said:

I heard it slayed the box office?

Nah, not really.  Domestically it's doing pretty good but it's DOA internationally.

• Like 2

Flippy
On 5/28/2023 at 1:55 AM, Levine said:

I heard it slayed the box office?

“As reported by Comscore, The Little Mermaid had a $95.4 million domestic and $68.2 million international 3-day weekend haul and its global total now sits at $185.8 million.”

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-little-mermaid-swims-to-a-1175-million-memorial-day-weekend-box-office-victory

TMBT 3.22.11 // TBTWB 1.17.13 // ArtRAVE 6.3.14 // C2CT 5.28.15 // TJWT 8.13.17 // Chromatica World Tour 9.8.22
  • Like 1

Ricardo

honestly it's not that good 

maybe it was the spanish dubbing but I really disliked the songs, they felt soulless. everything else I guess it was ok. 

Omar Vela
10 hours ago, Ricardo said:

honestly it's not that good 

maybe it was the spanish dubbing but I really disliked the songs, they felt soulless. everything else I guess it was ok. 

the latin american dub was bad af (poorly directed and you could notice), I saw it with my boyfriend in english first and we cried at the final moments. But then we watched again last night in latin american spanish and it was not as emotional.

With that being said, I really liked the movie, I even liked that little blue dress that I critized when the promo photos came out. They gave it a more emotional weight to that dress. And they totally make Erick and Ariel relationship waaaay better (in the animated one they fell in love just because the two where the hottest in town lol). I liked that they didn't hesitate to put darker creepy things, I even heard some kids crying close to the end lol

The only bads for me where: the CGI in certain scenes, King Triton's performance and that last shot was a total CHOICE in the editing room. 

• YAAAS 1

• 2 weeks later...
Flippy

Posting this here too, since I figured it would go hand-in-hand with the $410M it made so far in only 16 days! 

TMBT 3.22.11 // TBTWB 1.17.13 // ArtRAVE 6.3.14 // C2CT 5.28.15 // TJWT 8.13.17 // Chromatica World Tour 9.8.22

• 4 weeks later...
Flippy

The movie is officially out to buy digitally on July 25th and on BluRay on September 19th!

There will be a DMC, Walmart & Bestbuy exclusive! I’m so ready for everything! :flutter:

• Love 1

tylertremallose
1 hour ago, Flippy said:

The movie is officially out to buy digitally on July 25th and on BluRay on September 19th!

There will be a DMC, Walmart & Bestbuy exclusive! I’m so ready for everything! :flutter:

do you have links for them to pre-order

Flippy
3 minutes ago, tylertremallose said:

do you have links for them to pre-order

Links aren’t available quite yet, but I will be updating as soon as we get them! :hug:

tylertremallose
1 minute ago, Flippy said:

Links aren’t available quite yet, but I will be updating as soon as we get them! :hug:

please tag me! :D

• YAAAS 1

Flippy
2 hours ago, tylertremallose said:

please tag me! :D

Will do!!! :kara:

• YAAAS 1

Flippy
  • PartySick unfeatured this topic