Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

HMH at the Oscars - Vocal Analysis

Rifek

Featured Posts

Rifek

Wow, I just watched this video and wanted to share it with you

She is such a powerful artist and I love when musically educated people prove it 

❗️ IG: thebumblebee__ ❗️

GAGASEXUAL

Her vocals were not that good actually. Her vibratos are unbalanced for a while as you can hear in this performance and she has difficulty staying on pitch (Star Spangled Banner at Joe Biden's inauguration is an example as well) and I fear that her voice is not as healthy as it was anymore. 

Monstermilo

if you look at it objectively, her vocals in this performance were her weakest oscars vocals, placement was off, sounded flat/sharp in some places, lots of weird vocals choices

Ladle Ghoulash
2 hours ago, Monstermilo said:

if you look at it objectively, her vocals in this performance were her weakest oscars vocals, placement was off, sounded flat/sharp in some places, lots of weird vocals choices

I know we've not seen eye to eye in the past, but sister, you spilled here. Very strained, pitchy, uneven vibrato, odd pacing, inconsistent tone/voicing throughout.

Uh oh guys the VOCALS police is here... 🤣

I loved this performance so much. It reminded me of Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt. A lot of focus on the lyrics and the emotion. Very honest and raw. I feel like this song benefits from Gaga singing in a sort of unpolished way. Im not saying in was on purpose, since we all know this was planned last minute. I feel she succeeded in being a bit rough on the edges with this performance. There is so much beauty in being raw and real. No need for overrehearsing. Imho... 😊

RAYA.core

But the vocals with the arrangement is key. it's in play with the instruments and so far away from the sounds we all are hearing that is 'in' in todays music. love to see she still has those styles in whatever she writes

╰☆╮𝙸𝚐𝚗𝚘𝚛𝚎 𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚑𝚊𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚍 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚌𝚛𝚒𝚝𝚒𝚌𝚒𝚜𝚖. 𝙻𝚒𝚟𝚎 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚠𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚌𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚝𝚎... ☆╮JOINED November 25 2011

BornAsUnic0rn
4 hours ago, Monstermilo said:

Dude, for some songs & performances you have to sacrifice technique over emotion. That‘s a lot of emotion for a pretty good last minute raw stripped down performance.

But that’s a preference thing, I always was more of a emotions over technique person, and I admire that quality in Gaga’s live performances very much. She’s able to sing on a great technical level without loosing the edge you get with raw emoting. And for less than a week of preparation this performance did more than what it was meant to do. 

Ladle Ghoulash
18 minutes ago, BornAsUnic0rn said:

Dude, for some songs & performances you have to sacrifice technique over emotion. That‘s a lot of emotion for a pretty good last minute raw stripped down performance.

But that’s a preference thing, I always was more of a emotions over technique person, and I admire that quality in Gaga’s live performances very much. She’s able to sing on a great technical level without loosing the edge you get with raw emoting. And for less than a week of preparation this performance did more than what it was meant to do. 

I think there's a balance between emotion and technique and I think Gaga is usually very good at straddling that line. Imo, this was not one of those times. 

skedaddleBItCh
6 hours ago, GAGASEXUAL said:

Her vocals were not that good actually. Her vibratos are unbalanced for a while as you can hear in this performance and she has difficulty staying on pitch (Star Spangled Banner at Joe Biden's inauguration is an example as well) and I fear that her voice is not as healthy as it was anymore. 

:littlepotter: I could never be serious with people like you. By "difficulty staying on pitch", you meant the first part of the performance where the off-key twangs were clearly intentional? Honey, if we're talking about vocal performances, the flaws in this performance are much more enunciated because of how isolated her vocals are relative to the instrumentals and other sounds. She was clearly on PITCH during the second half. This performance is all about emotions, a raw performance. 

This is old news old news about her voice not as healthy as it was before because how many times does she need to prove to you that she can still sing and ****, look at TCB, her recent Jazz and Piano performances, the Love for Sale album debut performance.

🇵🇭༼;´༎ຶ ۝ ༎ຶ༽🇵🇭

YourEvilTwin

You guys are the most insufferable bunch, and you wonder why Gaga hates this fanbase?

Monstermilo
5 hours ago, deactivated001 said:

I know we've not seen eye to eye in the past, but sister, you spilled here. Very strained, pitchy, uneven vibrato, odd pacing, inconsistent tone/voicing throughout.

yeah everything about it was kinda off, it was def emotional - but so was her till it happens to you performance but, there she was able to sing the song properly without flaws until she got to the latter half 

Yaaaas Gaga

I don't think Gaga's aim here was to deliver technically perfect vocals. I think she was going for raw emotion so I honestly believe any impurities in her voice were almost intentional. I personally think this is one of her best overall performances and suited the occasion so well. Anyone saying that her voice is getting weaker clearly didn't pay attention to the Chromatica Ball last year - some of her very best vocals and her voice sounded so healthy.

Monstermilo
2 hours ago, YourEvilTwin said:

You guys are the most insufferable bunch, and you wonder why Gaga hates this fanbase?

you can be a gaga stan, as i have been since she debuted, ive watched every performance shes ever done, but im not a blind fan who thinks everything she does is absolutely perfect. 

Helxig
10 hours ago, GAGASEXUAL said:

I think that in more recent years she has changed her technique from being perfectly on pitch, to showing more emotion. Which... some people prefer one over the other.

I think it started happening after ASIB and I assume it's something to do with like... being a method actor and feeling the emotion of the song and letting it come through in the performance, regardless of perfect technique. Because I remember her always talking about Bradley's singing in that way

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

I am actually obsessed with this performance. The more I watch and listen, the more I love it. There seems to be general agreement that she's flat or pitchy in a place. I'll be honest, my ear ain't good enough to pick that up (neither of them are in fact). She doesn't produce a single note that I don't like. She is trying to look and sound like she is broken, like someone who is on the verge of tears, distracted by her pain, at least until halfway through when she breaks into a smile and things start to look up. It's a performance. It really works imo. I love it.

As for her singing overall, hand on heart I don't think generally she sings QUITE as well as she used to, maybe off by 5%. But even in saying that, would it not be the case at any time in anyone's career that you might sound 5% better (or worse) on Wednesday than you did on Tuesday ? There is a narrative out there that she's 'in decline'. I don't buy it. My take is that she had a bad year in 2019. She was stellar on her opening night in Vegas, but I think she deteriorated as the year went on. I suspect she was unhappy in herself and it showed on stage. But that's history now. Certainly in the last 12 monhs she has been much improved on 2019.

Archived