Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
throwback

20 Years of American Life (the song)

27monster27

Featured Posts

27monster27

20 years ago on March 24th Madonna released the lead single from her ninth studio album American Life. The title track is an experimental pop record with dance elements and perhaps most notably a section featuring Madonna rapping. The song tells the story of Madonna's changing perspective on the music industry as she became a more mature person, something the album would further go into depth about. The timing of the album's writing with the 9/11 attacks and the 2003 Iraq War caused Madonna to include imagery of war in the songs promotion. This was included in a pulled original cut of the video. Clear Channel's (now iHeartMedia) right leaning political values caused them to blacklist all songs perceived as anti-war and anti-American during 9/11 and the Iraq War. As a result, this song (and album) would put Madonna under a blacklist in the US that she would never fully recover from. This is similar to Janet Jackson and Britney Spears blacklists (though Britney would recover from hers).

The song received mixed reviews, with many particularly taking into question the rap. Retrospectively however, most have begun to appreciate the songs campiness and experimental nature. The song to this day still generates debate and controversy.

----

Thoughts on this song?

he/him/his

RAMROD

Drinking soy latte, and never feel satisfied  to celebrate

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

sillynate

Such a great song with so many layers both sonically and lyrically. My absolute favorite is how she says “American Lie I live the American dream” 

recently I’ve been getting into her many, many remixes and the Felix Da Housecat remix of AL absolutely slaps

27monster27
2 hours ago, sillynate said:

Such a great song with so many layers both sonically and lyrically. My absolute favorite is how she says “American Lie I live the American dream” 

recently I’ve been getting into her many, many remixes and the Felix Da Housecat remix of AL absolutely slaps

I actually recently learned about that lyrics and that made me love the song even more. Also I agree that that remix is great too.

he/him/his

sillynate
2 hours ago, 27monster27 said:

I actually recently learned about that lyrics and that made me love the song even more. Also I agree that that remix is great too.

Also can’t forget the Missy Elliot remix! It’s much more in line with the original track but has a feature! I love Madonna’s rare features :vegas: although lately there’s been more than, say, 20+ years ago :pray:

Archived