💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
new music

Lana Del Rey - Did You Know That There's a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd

alsemanche

Featured Posts

holy scheisse

Really weird listening experience. First few songs are all familiar so there was an urge to skip them, and then the interludes right after them were... kinda a 1 listen and never again thing (at least the judah smith one ) overall the second half of the album is more interesting than the first, and the first is daunting to get through 

Standouts for me are Candy Necklace, Paris Texas, Taco Truck x VB 

A&W is my favorite track 

Overall-- album is more interesting to listen to than blue bannisters, but nowhere near her best album in my opinion. In fact I think the only album it rivals in terms of enjoyability is chemtrails and the rest of her discog is far superior. experimental doesn't necessarily mean "good" or "enjoyable" for me... but she's clearly really feeling herself and feeling authentic and i'm glad she has so much freedom to make the music she wants to. I think I need to listen several more times but also... i have no urge to listen to this album one shot through again so it's prob gonna be a thing where i develop affinity for songs one by one. some albums be like that

/review no one asked for:ororomunroe:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morphine Prince

There are standouts and overall enjoyable and definitely better than her last two albums. 

After a couple listens, I love this album. It's hard to describe what it's like. Certainly feels darker and more introspective than anything else she's put out to date. I'm really vibing with all the songs except for Fingertips, which seems to be getting rave reviews on Reddit but I just can't connect with it at all.

Fanta

I think I do prefer her storytelling songs from the earlier days over her poetry style songs from today, that’s for sure - there’s only so many random Caroline’s and Chuckies that I can take before becoming uninterested.

I do agree with someone else saying it’s refined and elegant, and also having some of her best songs and most boring/plain ones. It just gets stale after a while listening to Lana drag on in the same whisper-melancholy tone over and over. She’s too comfortable with it. 

Emigrante

I kinda prefer her more “poppy” approach to music, and by poppy I mean songs that are easier to listen to, instead of being more of a poetic recitation with her melancholy tone like her previous two albums, as mentioned above. That being said, A&W outro really surprised me in a positive way and I wish she would experiment more with this kind of take on her music. 

I’m a great fan of BTD, Paradise, Ultraviolence, heck even Honeymoon feels to me very romantic and climatic, but her recent albums except for few songs I can’t get that much into. Which doesn’t mean is bad in any way, it’s just not exactly my cup of tea.

Sugar, spice, and everything nice.

RudraCNG

Finally listened to the album. I wasn't connecting with it during the first half but from Grandfather til Taco Truck... man, that was a experience. My favourite song from this first listening is Let the Light in. I hope I can connect with that first half eventually, but imo it has the same problem BB had: I don't like that "freestyle" Lana.

Blackout19
7 hours ago, The Powerpuff Girl said:

I’m a great fan of BTD, Paradise, Ultraviolence, heck even Honeymoon feels to me very romantic and climatic, but her recent albums except for few songs I can’t get that much into. Which doesn’t mean is bad in any way, it’s just not exactly my cup of tea.

Chemtrails Over The Country Club is a great album, but to be honest with the last 2 albums, I got bored after the first 4 songs.. It's sad, cause I love Lana, but her new music don't do to much for me

Marilyn Monroe is my best friend.

StrawberryBlond

Wow, what a return to form after the disappointment of Blue Banisters. This is definitely one of her most downbeat albums but in a good way. It's so mature, ethereal and elegant and goes back to the old-timey production she became known for. To hear her experiment with all different styles after staying in a bit of a rut artistically for her last few albums is such a joy. My ultimate favourites were Sweet, Fingertips and Margaret, I hope at least one of them becomes a single further down the line. Not to say every one of them is amazing, Paris Texas is a snoozefest and I have no idea why it's here, really, Fishtail was a letdown and Candy Necklace is being so beloved but I don't get it whatsoever. But the highs are so good that it cancels out the lows. Out of her most recent material (NFR onwards, which is when her music started changing), it is one of the best. It truly was a JOURNEY listening to this and one that can leave you feeling exhausted and sad afterwards but isn't that the sign of great art? If she gets Grammy recognition for it, great, but I'm past the point of caring now. To see it get acclaimed reviews and the highest first day streaming numbers of her career is enough for me.

retroglamx

I cannot believe that Blue Banisters was so poorly received by the fans :toofunny: it's my fav Lana album

Pink flamingos always fascinated me.

Agunimon
7 minutes ago, retroglamx said:

I cannot believe that Blue Banisters was so poorly received by the fans :toofunny: it's my fav Lana album

I agree - Blue Banisters is my third favorite Lana album. Its kind of weird because I am seeing a lot of people who loved Blue Banisters not really be into this album, and the reverse is true for people who really like this album not liking Blue Banisters. I'm still sitting with this album. I am mostly listening to it trying to figure out where it stands in relation to her other work for me, though.

VasilisVas

I love Lana but ever since NFR all her albums sound like one big long song. The mumbling style of singing she’s been using makes it so hard to understand the lyrics. It’s also gotten to the point that sometimes I feel like I don’t even know what song I’m listening to because most of the songs sound the same. 

my favorite albums by lana are currently in this order:

born to die/paradise, honeymoon, ultraviolence, lust for life, blue banister, nfr, Chemtrails, and ocean boulevard 

im hoping at some point lana will return to making music like born to die/paradise, honeymoon, and ultraviolence 

nswain1110

Paris, Texas does something to me. Can't put my finger on it but I keep returning to it. Haunting vocals, weird af, beautiful but creepy. I'm digging it. The rest of the album's growing on me, (all of her albums grow on me over time). A&W is one of her best songs. The interludes are HARD skips though. 

Follow me on Instagram! https://www.instagram.com/natethetrailhunter/

Archived