Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

I want Gaga to stop giving a f*ck

AURAOFSHEISSE

Featured Posts

Benji
2 hours ago, Staryu17 said:

Umm ain't nothing safe bout that album. 

It’s the first time she ran with a genre that was already topping the chart.  You could argue she done that with TFM too but it’s a genre she made big so I won’t slam her for that… plus TFM is actually good.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Starmie25
6 minutes ago, Benji said:

It’s the first time she ran with a genre that was already topping the chart.  You could argue she done that with TFM too but it’s a genre she made big so I won’t slam her for that… plus TFM is actually good.

I'll just quote this again - 

EDM in general is a huge umbrella of genres

Like I can't think of an artist back then that would drop a sleek, grungy/electro pop song like "Sexxx Dreams" or a video game inspired anthem like "Applause", or even the title track which is sonically gorgeous and chic.

Was ARTPOP the most GROUNDBREAKING, SPELL BINDING ALBUM of the decade? No. But y'all still do too much on it. The album had lots of new colours, flavours and personality.

Space Cowboy
4 hours ago, Tobcho said:

the fame is her safest most generic album so i dont know what you're talking about
(still great tho, love it, but there's a reason it's the one with the most hits)

It became that way overtime. That album and era was revolutionary In pop culture.

27monster27
10 minutes ago, Benji said:

Eh?  The whole album sounds like Zedd’s 2012 album Clarity and even though I love MJH, it sounds a lot like what Madeon was already producing too… probably cause it recycles an old instrumental.

I've listened to Zedd's album and it sounds like the less common genres. None of the songs on ARTPOP sound like Clarity, True Colors*, or Follow You Down. However, a lot of the songs do sound like Shave it Up and Stache. Plus referencing work or sounding like the top 40 isn't a bad thing.

*Technically this does jump on the verge of being a bit more unique, but it does have a top 40 radio feel to it.

he/him/his

Benji
Just now, Staryu17 said:

I'll just quote this again - 

EDM in general is a huge umbrella of genres

Like I can't think of an artist back then that would drop a sleek, grungy/electro pop song like "Sexxx Dreams" or a video game inspired anthem like "Applause", or even the title track which is sonically gorgeous and chic.

Was ARTPOP the most GROUNDBREAKING, SPELL BINDING ALBUM of the decade? No. But y'all still do too much on it. The album had lots of new colours, flavours and personality.

Maybe it depends on where in the world you’re from.  In the UK and Europe, dance is always present in the charts and we take dance music seriously.  House, Garage, D&B, Jungle, Techno… the list goes on and on with its own subcategories.

EDM is treated as its own thing in Europe.  You say EDM to me and I think of Zedd, The Chainsmokers and Americans wearing neon bracelets and tutus “raving” :laughga: It was a corny genre by 2013 here

Bowman
17 minutes ago, Benji said:

Maybe it depends on where in the world you’re from.  In the UK and Europe, dance is always present in the charts and we take dance music seriously.  House, Garage, D&B, Jungle, Techno… the list goes on and on with its own subcategories.

EDM is treated as its own thing in Europe.  You say EDM to me and I think of Zedd, The Chainsmokers and Americans wearing neon bracelets and tutus “raving” :laughga: It was a corny genre by 2013 here

this. I think what this comes down to is a divide between where people are from, in the UK we love those genres you mentioned, gaga worked with some great uk producers (BURNS) that make these styles of music. I guess i just love music that has soul and i felt that chromatica had that and unfortunately ARTPOP didn’t have that ‘soul feeling’ for me

EDM is definitely it’s own thing over here, when i think of EDM i think of cheesy dance music :franminervini:

𝕯𝕵, 𝖋𝖗𝖊𝖊 𝖒𝖞 𝖒𝖎𝖓𝖉

NATAH
1 hour ago, 27monster27 said:

What @Staryu17 said. She did EDM but NOT the common genres. Gypsy was the only song on the album to follow a common EDM genre. Everything else, not at all.

i mean... no... Donatella, MJH and Swine are very reminiscent of chart topping EDM songs at the time

mother, what must i do?

Ziggy
3 hours ago, Staryu17 said:

I disagree. I don't think they're safe at all (especially lyrically)

2 hours ago, monstertoronto said:

I disagree. Her career does not read as one who is pandering and giving so many ****s to the public. How many pop stars that give a **** release a country-esque album, two jazz albums, and then pure pop again. She’s constantly doing what inspires her. The fact that some fans might think Chromatica is too safe, that’s just their opinion. The album was lauded with tons of great reviews about her personal lyrics and great tunes. And many of the monster LOvE that album. She doesn’t have an issue about giving too many ****s. I think it’s some of her fans that do. 

Safe isn’t a bad thing lol but not chromatica review was exactly heralding it for pushing boundaries. Many called it a “return to form” or some variation of that

Ziggy
1 hour ago, Benji said:

Plus with TFM it (the genre) really wasn’t even quite THAT huge when it dropped. Everyone and their mother just dropped everything to pivot to europop the second bad romance dropped. Those first two albums were definitely pretty bold on the scene

27monster27
25 minutes ago, NATAH said:

i mean... no... Donatella, MJH and Swine are very reminiscent of chart topping EDM songs at the time

Okay to rephrase, I should say that she still did reference chart stuff since it is pop music, but she still did mostly avoid some things. All the examples you gave have some reminiscence in the charts, but they don't feel as common as Gypsy for example (at least to me).

he/him/his

Chromatography

i get your point but i’m not a fan of your examples. beyonce is the most calculated out there. bjork is the only one i agree with here 

Cavadour

I skimmed through this thread, but I may add that my Gaga 'revelation' came with AHS Hotel and the subsequent release of Joanne. I later then made myself familiar with her earlier work in which I found some strong echoes of what I fell so hard for, but I always felt I was a bit looking at her early career in a rear view mirror. 

Now I strongly agree with the idea of feeling less enthusiastic along the years, if you became stan at the early stages of an artist career. Some changes can be decieving or disconcerting.

That said, reading some lines here, I kinda feel like the guy who comes late to the party, who has fun and really enjoys it despite arriving late. Hearing those who came early saying how much I missed the best part of the evening can be undermining.

In Gaga's case, I totally enjoy what she does today and the changes she made since I stan. Otoh, Chromatica, the studio album, was a kind of let down return to her debut style for me. But then, TCB performances brushed away that feeling.

I wasn't there ten years ago. But I'm here now and i think it's a blast. Knowing that her first choice was to be an actress and seeing how becoming a pop star lead her to see her dream come true is such a bliss to me.

Late to the party but I got a diamond heart

19 minutes ago, Cavadour said:

I skimmed through this thread, but I may add that my Gaga 'revelation' came with AHS Hotel and the subsequent release of Joanne. I later then made myself familiar with her earlier work in which I found some strong echoes of what I fell so hard for, but I always felt I was a bit looking at her early career in a rear view mirror. 

Now I strongly agree with the idea of feeling less enthusiastic along the years, if you became stan at the early stages of an artist career. Some changes can be decieving or disconcerting.

That said, reading some lines here, I kinda feel like the guy who comes late to the party, who has fun and really enjoys it despite arriving late. Hearing those who came early saying how much I missed the best part of the evening can be undermining.

In Gaga's case, I totally enjoy what she does today and the changes she made since I stan. Otoh, Chromatica, the studio album, was a kind of let down return to her debut style for me. But then, TCB performances brushed away that feeling.

I wasn't there ten years ago. But I'm here now and i think it's a blast. Knowing that her first choice was to be an actress and seeing how becoming a pop star lead her to see her dream come true is such a bliss to me.

I became a fan of hers with AHS too :enigma:

skedaddleBItCh

I respectfully disagree :triggered:

Anyways, ARTPOP isn't as experimental as fans thought it was. Aura was the most experimental song on the album, and even then, it's still very pop. I would argue that BTW is even more experimental, but even then it's still pop. Just because 

Gaga is a POP artist, she always has been. She's never been super experimental with anything. She loves to dives into different genres, blend them and incorporate them to pop music. 

And what is this comparison to Beyoncé and Lana. Renaissance literally rehashed the genre used in Chromatica...

Anyways she still doesn't give a ****. Who would even think that Joanne is an album pandering to mainstream music:ladyhaha: Chromatica is a pop-house album with a heavy concept, released in a trap/disco-pop musical landscape. She still doesn't give a ****.

🇵🇭༼;´༎ຶ ۝ ༎ຶ༽🇵🇭

Archived