Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

TWICE’s Chaeyoung apologizes after posting photo wearing a shirt with a swastika

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Controversiaga

I live under a rock. Idk who these girls are, but I do know what a swastika is. 

Pronounced like “Balenciaga” . Emphasis on the “Ga”

Battle 4 Ur Life
5 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

It you rn actually 

It’s nothing personal, I’m standing up for something I think it’s important so I don’t care if I come across like that.

If they want to claim the ancient value of the swastika (which I doubt) they can do it a lot better. that’s my critique.

"We own the Downtown, hear our sound."

Battle 4 Ur Life
24 minutes ago, skaxboy said:

Well, Sid Vicious and other punks of the 80’s wore it for shock value. I’m going to go out on a limb and say she doesn’t listen to the Sex Pistols. I am not defending her, but she was probably just not aware of it. 

My friend love K-Pop and I went to a K rapper show recently. Catchy beats, catchy flow, overall entertaining. I couldn’t help but laugh at the hood-inspired persona or the mumbling that is popular with rap today. It felt so inauthentic and fabricated to me but hey, it sells. 

which is also NOT OK for me and I’m all for punks.

respect is a two-way street.

"We own the Downtown, hear our sound."
  • Thanks 1

Lucas
1 hour ago, Battle 4 Ur Life said:

they have the top album on billboard right? ok, just to make sure.

imagine making these people famous. you obviously have to be worst than them so, yeah.

The level of dramatic here... She said she doesn't know the symbol, and those kpop idols are being styled by other people. + the kpop industry is all about image control, no one knowing what this symbol is would allow her to wear it. There are kpop idols who were kicked from their group "just" for bullying at school when they were kids

• Like 1

Moonlight on Water
1 hour ago, AURAOFSHEISSE said:

This is one of the stupidest posts I’ve read on this site lmao girl be for real everyone in the world knows what a swastika is and exactly what it entails

Not quite. There are different swatsikas with different meanings, and they existed before Nazis did.

she/her
  • Like 3

skaxboy
1 hour ago, Battle 4 Ur Life said:

which is also NOT OK for me and I’m all for punks.

respect is a two-way street.

Definitely. I find it repulsive. Modern supremacists have ruined Fred Perry polo shirts to me as a certain hate group wears black and yellow ones. 

I feel there were/are racist punks and skins but my opinion on the ideology is more accepting and embraces all races. My only way of interpreting Sid’s shirt is how RuPaul wore that confederate flag dress on To Wong Foo. 
evciydloqyrz.png?auto=webp&s=65f7b7e3e8b

It’s provocative but also a big snarky “Fcuk You” to people who sport that flag un-ironically. I personally would never wear any of those symbols because they are extremely hateful to me. I don’t think this was Chaeyoung’s idea in wearing the shirt from OP. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

gabeoz

As someone before pointed out, this is a part of the world where the people just don’t understand/fully realize the connotation behind the symbol because they had their own side of WW2 happening. Just as we do with the rising sun symbol. I wouldn’t be at  all surprised if she didn’t even realize it was bad.

Edited by gabeoz
  • Like 2

edengowon
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

The level of dramatic here... She said she doesn't know the symbol, and those kpop idols are being styled by other people. + the kpop industry is all about image control, no one knowing what this symbol is would allow her to wear it. There are kpop idols who were kicked from their group "just" for bullying at school when they were kids

there is a difference between east asian and western bullying though. you say 'just' for bullying but bullying in korea specifically often involves heavy physical torture (not just violence like punches, i'm talking stuff like burns, cuts etc.) mental abuse and even often sexual abuse. so in korea 'bully' is often conflated with 'sadist' and 'evil'.

the artist formerly known as melancholia

edengowon
1 minute ago, gabeoz said:

As someone before pointed out, this is a part of the world where the people just don’t understand/fully realize the connotation behind the symbol because they had their own side of WW2 happening. Just as we do with the rising sun symbol. I wouldn’t be at  all surprised if she didn’t even realize it was bad.

this is really the main answer. wasn't it bella poarch who had a rising sun tattoo? it's entirely plausible to know "the nazis used this symbol" whilst also not realising that so many people still find it so raw and hurtful today. plenty of historical symbols with disgusting backgrounds no longer hold the same emotional weight or power. especially if it's on a cool band shirt from the 70s. if anything, if i saw a symbol on a band shirt, i'd actively assume that it was no longer taken seriously.

this is all coming from me, an ashkenazi jew btw, who is very sensitive to these issues.

the artist formerly known as melancholia

Pennywise

We need a critical thinking and theory course for GGD because some of you bitches are so..... :bear:

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE

ProfessionalClown

Wait isn’t that a Sid Viscious shirt though. Horrible person obvi but wasn’t the whole reason he used that to satirize that and go agains the government 

• Like 1

Agunimon
7 hours ago, dnzr said:

You guys are reaching, Asians are very unaware of world politics other than local politics, during world war 2, Asians were more concerned about the Rising Sun symbol (Japan) than Germany. She genuinely did not know and was set up by her stylist. 

In the Kpop industry standards, she is one of the most vocal and open about human rights. She openly encouraged korean fans (insanely homophobic society) to watch Carol, a lesbian movie and told them to be more open minded.

This is the most ignorant thing I have read. WW2 in the European front is taught in South Korea in all facets of secondary education. 

Roronoa
10 hours ago, Agunimon said:

This is the most ignorant thing I have read. WW2 in the European front is taught in South Korea in all facets of secondary education. 

When I was living in Singapore, most of my WW2 history lessons were about the Japanese occupation in the East (and in the country). :oprah: It was only after I had moved to Europe that the focus shifted to Germans. 

Edited by Cauliflower
  • Like 2

Agunimon
5 minutes ago, Cauliflower said:

When I lived in Singapore, most of my WWII history lessons were about Japanese operations in the East (and in the country). :oprah: 

I can only speak on South Korea, which is why I specified it since it is the only country I can speak from since I am in touch with many people who live or who grew up there before moving to the states, and they were educated on the subject - but I will agree that there was still a more focused curriculum on the war in the East far more than European. It is disingenuous to say Asians are unaware of world politics, which is what I was replying to mostly.

Although I will concede that it could be that it is very possible that she wasn't taught that at all. I don't know her education, since she is an idol. Her schooling could have been much different than the people I know who were in public education. So @dnzr, I do apologize since you are still very possibly correct in this situation.

Edited by Agunimon
  • Like 1