💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

My observation with Gaga's discography.

DISZKO

Featured Posts

StrawberryBlond

Thing is, artists are people just like us. And, like us, they change. In fact, everyone should change, that's how we grow. You probably don't listen to the same artists you listened to back when you were you were a kid or a teenager (probably only one or two have stuck around at most) and your faves have probably changed over time as your music tastes have changed, so why wouldn't artists be any different regarding their own work? When most artists start out, they're young, in toxic relationships and somewhat angry at the world. That kinda thing makes great music that connects. But when they get older and mature, find the love their life, settle down, get married and have children, they naturally feel happier and don't feel the need to make angsty music anymore. And that's just one example of why they would change. And it's certainly a bit wild for your fans to want you to keep making dark music when you've dealt with your demons and are now happy. We should see the world differently in every decade of life and certain events in your life and cause your views to change even sooner than that. I'm not the exact same person I was at 16, 21, 25 or even 30. It stands to reason that your artistic output will change accordingly. We all think that we'll never change and be into the exact same things when we're older, then we get older and realise that is a youthfully naive take on things. I loved The Fame when it came out when I was 18 and I still like it now, but if it were released today, I wouldn't be as enthused. Gaga has gone above and beyond what she showed back then, but in the moment, you think things can't get any better and this is how this artist will always be. But the public want them to stay the same, the fans want them to grow.

Artists will naturally gain and lose fans over the course of their career. Changing your style means you run the risk of losing them, but staying the same is no guarantee that you'll maintain the same amount of fans, as many people are fickle and their attention span drops after a few years. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't in this business. You're free to give up your fandom at any time, but remember that it'll always be difficult to find an artist who does what you like 100% of the time.

3 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Thing is, artists are people just like us. And, like us, they change. In fact, everyone should change, that's how we grow. You probably don't listen to the same artists you listened to back when you were you were a kid or a teenager (probably only one or two have stuck around at most) and your faves have probably changed over time as your music tastes have changed, so why wouldn't artists be any different regarding their own work? When most artists start out, they're young, in toxic relationships and somewhat angry at the world. That kinda thing makes great music that connects. But when they get older and mature, find the love their life, settle down, get married and have children, they naturally feel happier and don't feel the need to make angsty music anymore. And that's just one example of why they would change. And it's certainly a bit wild for your fans to want you to keep making dark music when you've dealt with your demons and are now happy. We should see the world differently in every decade of life and certain events in your life and cause your views to change even sooner than that. I'm not the exact same person I was at 16, 21, 25 or even 30. It stands to reason that your artistic output will change accordingly. We all think that we'll never change and be into the exact same things when we're older, then we get older and realise that is a youthfully naive take on things. I loved The Fame when it came out when I was 18 and I still like it now, but if it were released today, I wouldn't be as enthused. Gaga has gone above and beyond what she showed back then, but in the moment, you think things can't get any better and this is how this artist will always be. But the public want them to stay the same, the fans want them to grow.

Artists will naturally gain and lose fans over the course of their career. Changing your style means you run the risk of losing them, but staying the same is no guarantee that you'll maintain the same amount of fans, as many people are fickle and their attention span drops after a few years. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't in this business. You're free to give up your fandom at any time, but remember that it'll always be difficult to find an artist who does what you like 100% of the time.

I understand what you are saying. Also in the grand scheme of things her discography is no where yet to artists like Madonna, Bowie or Grace Jones. Maybe her best album will come in 10 years who knows. Anyway they all had similar impact and had variety of albums with different influences but for example Grace Jones is still sticking to old school house and shaker inspired songs with dark bass and weird synthy elements.

We do change but we also carry all our selves throughout our lives.

I think what I am trying to convey here regarding change is not necessarily a lack of growth that I want from her and to be stuck in those black leggings with the bow and her pain and toxic relationships, meaning more like you don't always have to fully reinvent yourself to be creative or artistic, we don't need to constantly reinvent the wheel if the wheel works. For example Lana Del Rey is a great example, im not a huge fan but I do adore her music and her consistency with what she brings almost every year sonically and aesthetically. You could play any Lana song and people would know its her, its not always that with Gaga and I think this is what I am trying to say here that I wish there was more consistency and something to hold onto everytime there is a new album. I am always eager to hear her new projects and I think I was left a bit disappointed with ARTPOP and Joanne (although I do love Joanne, I think the production is amazing and the songs are great) I still feel it deviates from the main arch of her songs. I think its more of a team choice. Artists like Fernando Garibay always seems to be able to bring out the best in Gaga. BloodPop although hyped, I dont really like as much as the producers she previously worked. Chromatica was amazing but I really hope she chooses better producers to work with in the future.

Is it understandable what I am saying? 

Nateprizhm

I think a-lot of people are using the word “darkness” to describe what i think is gagas old vibe. When you listen to both the fame monster and Born this Way, they both seem to have a gothic inspired sound, and give of a halloween vibe. The lyricism is also very poetic, and unsettling. Her appearances throughout these eras also do the same. That was when alot of her fans found her, and we gravitate towards that same aesthetic because it’s nostalgic. After typing this out i see it may not be relevant to the post, but.. i do feel like a lot of fans that are saying they want a dark album/miss dark gaga are referring to this.

i feel the same about slowly cooling down when it comes to my gaga obsession, but i also think its personal. As i age i find myself less and less interested in following her every move. But its not that she isn’t interesting. I know she is busy and not very active publicly anymore and i try to respect that, and be happy for her, but it can be disappointing because Gaga was so over involved with the fans at one point and she seems disconnected to the fanbase now. ive started to feel a disconnection to her as well because of this. As a teen i felt like she cared for all of us as individuals, now as an adult, i understand that she doesn’t even know i exist. 

Bowman

I agree with @StrawberryBlond everyone on earth changes, I am not really the same person as i was 10 years ago and actually I wouldn’t go back to be that person I was, i was insecure, unconfident, immature etc. and so I have grown so much into someone i’m happier with and comfortable with. And similar in Gaga in a way, i feel like i don’t need to prove myself to people and try too hard for peoples approval. I think i’m a better all rounded human being.

I think with Gaga she kinda started maturing and changing and i think ARTPOP was the turning point / changing point in her career. I believe she was like 26 / 27 when ARTPOP was released - and that’s when i think a lot of changes happen around that age. If Gaga kept being the same person it wouldn’t work. And i think that’s why she’s still around today :sara:

𝕯𝕵, 𝖋𝖗𝖊𝖊 𝖒𝖞 𝖒𝖎𝖓𝖉

StrawberryBlond
On 3/17/2023 at 7:29 AM, DISZKO said:

I understand what you are saying. Also in the grand scheme of things her discography is no where yet to artists like Madonna, Bowie or Grace Jones. Maybe her best album will come in 10 years who knows. Anyway they all had similar impact and had variety of albums with different influences but for example Grace Jones is still sticking to old school house and shaker inspired songs with dark bass and weird synthy elements.

We do change but we also carry all our selves throughout our lives.

I think what I am trying to convey here regarding change is not necessarily a lack of growth that I want from her and to be stuck in those black leggings with the bow and her pain and toxic relationships, meaning more like you don't always have to fully reinvent yourself to be creative or artistic, we don't need to constantly reinvent the wheel if the wheel works. For example Lana Del Rey is a great example, im not a huge fan but I do adore her music and her consistency with what she brings almost every year sonically and aesthetically. You could play any Lana song and people would know its her, its not always that with Gaga and I think this is what I am trying to say here that I wish there was more consistency and something to hold onto everytime there is a new album. I am always eager to hear her new projects and I think I was left a bit disappointed with ARTPOP and Joanne (although I do love Joanne, I think the production is amazing and the songs are great) I still feel it deviates from the main arch of her songs. I think its more of a team choice. Artists like Fernando Garibay always seems to be able to bring out the best in Gaga. BloodPop although hyped, I dont really like as much as the producers she previously worked. Chromatica was amazing but I really hope she chooses better producers to work with in the future.

Is it understandable what I am saying? 

Well, I beg to differ when you say her work is not on the level of the artists you mentioned. And it's unfortunate, but female artists really have to reinvent themselves if they want a successful career throughout the years. Men can get away with putting out the same thing continuously without comment but women are usually called out if the put out a song that sounds a bit too similar to an old hit (Ariana Grande famously went back to re-record her album after the lead single, Focus, was a big under-performance and many people said it sounded too similar to Problem and that she was just recycling tried and tested factors for a hit).

It's also a matter of cultural relevance. Everyone has a style that won't always be in fashion and if you don't adapt to the times, you end up falling by the wayside. Artists who stay the same usually get left behind unless their genre comes back around again but even then, it's no guarantee of a comeback. Gaga has the ability to make all different kinds of music, so it's a savvy choice to use this talent to survive. When she started out, the world is eager for showstopping performances and she gave it to them. But after a few years, it became clear that the novelty was wearing off. With singers like Adele and Ed Sheeran becoming huge, singers who pretty much just stood there and sang with no pretence, it was evident that the public's preference for stripped-back art was the new order of the day. Next to them, Gaga looked fake, superficial and try-hard. She realised this and saw that her credibility could be decreasing as a result so pulled things back with C2C, Joanne and ASIB, wearing regular clothes, minimal make-up, focusing more on just vocals and instruments with no craziness and satanic imagery. And it just what she needed to bring her back from the brink. Suddenly, she was getting #1 songs again, winning Grammys again, being talked about and beloved again. Don't get me wrong, Gaga's performance art will always be waiting to come out but only when the public wants it. I also think she needed this other side of her to come out in order to get out of a bad place. The constant creation of uptempo pop music was taking its toll on her and she needed to be Stefani for a while.

4 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Well, I beg to differ when you say her work is not on the level of the artists you mentioned. And it's unfortunate, but female artists really have to reinvent themselves if they want a successful career throughout the years. Men can get away with putting out the same thing continuously without comment but women are usually called out if the put out a song that sounds a bit too similar to an old hit (Ariana Grande famously went back to re-record her album after the lead single, Focus, was a big under-performance and many people said it sounded too similar to Problem and that she was just recycling tried and tested factors for a hit).

It's also a matter of cultural relevance. Everyone has a style that won't always be in fashion and if you don't adapt to the times, you end up falling by the wayside. Artists who stay the same usually get left behind unless their genre comes back around again but even then, it's no guarantee of a comeback. Gaga has the ability to make all different kinds of music, so it's a savvy choice to use this talent to survive. When she started out, the world is eager for showstopping performances and she gave it to them. But after a few years, it became clear that the novelty was wearing off. With singers like Adele and Ed Sheeran becoming huge, singers who pretty much just stood there and sang with no pretence, it was evident that the public's preference for stripped-back art was the new order of the day. Next to them, Gaga looked fake, superficial and try-hard. She realised this and saw that her credibility could be decreasing as a result so pulled things back with C2C, Joanne and ASIB, wearing regular clothes, minimal make-up, focusing more on just vocals and instruments with no craziness and satanic imagery. And it just what she needed to bring her back from the brink. Suddenly, she was getting #1 songs again, winning Grammys again, being talked about and beloved again. Don't get me wrong, Gaga's performance art will always be waiting to come out but only when the public wants it. I also think she needed this other side of her to come out in order to get out of a bad place. The constant creation of uptempo pop music was taking its toll on her and she needed to be Stefani for a while.

I didnt say she was not up to the level of mentioned artists but in comparision her work is no where at the stage of theirs not because she is not talented but because she is decades younger then them.

I find it weird that you say they (adele and ed sheeran) stood there with ''no pretence'' i dont think Gaga or the way she was doing things was pretence, fun fact even now if she wears only a black t shirt or is stood in 12 inch heels with pink wig on she still acts and talks the same so I dont see the pretence in it.

Evident or not the same public drove Britney Spears and many other artists mad. Why focus your energy on awards that are bought by managment and production teams for aritsts and the general public that acts like a vulture and a mad mob and on creating a product line that pollutes an already collapsing eco system?

This kind of sums up my disappointment that I was experiencing being a little monster and following Gaga for years. It felt to me she gave up on her geekyness, her weirdness that made her unique and that made Alexander McQueen love her and all these legendary people, for the opinion of stupid people and public that are like her bullies in high school. It felt to me she started to feel bad about being different because generally the public is vicious and evil. This is also the reason why I emphasised her well being in the original post.

I wouldnt call her darkness satanic, she is just a weirdo who loves theatre, art and ugly things. Its the pretentious GP that acts like a saint while they are hating on people and frame these things as unholy.

I see what you are saying and I understand it but I do not agree or think that all those things you mentioned should be an evidence or a reason for her to do these things to ''stay relevant''. i think somewhere along the lines she got really down and doesnt or didnt have the right people around her to lift her up and remind herself of who she is as Stefani and Gaga and that these parts can coexist and live in synergy. Sadly she might have a hard time finding that in this industry as it is very superficial and doesn't necessarily treat artists nicely.

Tyler1992

As a fellow little monster from the beginning, it might be we’re growing up, and growing out of obsessing about artists. 

But I also believe Gaga has the cards stacked in her favour, and will never play them all at once. And because she wants to diversify her musical image and acting career, she can’t be EveryGa all the time time. Her being one of the biggest chameleons in the entertainment industry is the reason she’s still very much in the conversation, but she can only focus her attention on so much at a time. 

It could be seen as selling out to appease to the acting community, strip down to a more acoustic album, escape to jazz standards, etc. The Gaga we know struck in 2008 as a blonde, europop auto-tuned pop star. You could argue that she sold out when she died her hair blonde and ditched her piano for a head-mic. I just know that Lady Gaga never envisioned herself to be only one of those artists, and that’s what is so great about her. She was talking about doing Joanne since The Fame Monster, and has always wanted to get into acting. 

My prediction is that she will have one or two more eras that captivate your attention the way she used to for you in the past. Right now she’s focused on the other elements of entertainment that challenges her and makes her happy and fulfilled. I don’t think the Gaga we miss is lost on her, she’s just cultivating other parts, she will be back around to full fledged GAGA

Arcanum

Funny because I have just realized as a teen I was into many artists that I eventually forgot or I don't admire at all because of their attitude anymore.

Whoever was lucky enough to see the rise of Lady Gaga can remember that what drew us to her was mainly the mystery imagery and the catchy titles/hooks. Then came the extravaganza and the fact that every move of hers was an event. Music industry is not the way it were back in the day. Artists need to vibrate naturally with the GP. Katy Perry tried the same formula for a streak of albums. When she tried to change things it came as by force and at a time that interest was lost. Gaga by 2014 understood that more longevity and less hits might be the formula for a successful career, and hell was she right! 

We are not the same. She is not the same. The only things that remain the same are her desire to change the landscape one sequin at a time, our admiration to her growth from a safe distance and the hunties that register to this cult site. Her latest albums might not be as bombastic and impactful as her early works, but on the long run they will synthesize a musical palette that every new artist will admire and ever old one would wish to have as legacy.

music video mv GIF by Lady Gaga

I Wantth your Love...I Wantth your Love.

Lukas96
On 3/16/2023 at 1:25 PM, Maxine Puth said:

But it’s also been very clear in her music (sans ASIB, since that was for an actual movie role) that the passion and dedication to a theme is just not there like it was for her first albums. 

Not Chormatcia being an album with a solid concept and narrative structure

6 minutes ago, Tyler1992 said:

As a fellow little monster from the beginning, it might be we’re growing up, and growing out of obsessing about artists. 

But I also believe Gaga has the cards stacked in her favour, and will never play them all at once. And because she wants to diversify her musical image and acting career, she can’t be EveryGa all the time time. Her being one of the biggest chameleons in the entertainment industry is the reason she’s still very much in the conversation, but she can only focus her attention on so much at a time. 

It could be seen as selling out to appease to the acting community, strip down to a more acoustic album, escape to jazz standards, etc. The Gaga we know struck in 2008 as a blonde, europop auto-tuned pop star. You could argue that she sold out when she died her hair blonde and ditched her piano for a head-mic. I just know that Lady Gaga never envisioned herself to be only one of those artists, and that’s what is so great about her. She was talking about doing Joanne since The Fame Monster, and has always wanted to get into acting. 

My prediction is that she will have one or two more eras that captivate your attention the way she used to for you in the past. Right now she’s focused on the other elements of entertainment that challenges her and makes her happy and fulfilled. I don’t think the Gaga we miss is lost on her, she’s just cultivating other parts, she will be back around to full fledged GAGA

This is really sweet

CharlieQuinn

The problem is that many people think they have an idea who Lady Gaga is.  They often miss Famega or darkga or ARTPOPga etc.

Lady Gaga is a creative, beautiful soul that can take any form through her art. When she has taken a form, it's totally different than our expectations (Sometimes you can still see traces of other eras in her work) But that's her. That's what makes her unique besides her amazing talent.

Tyler1992
2 hours ago, Charliie said:

The problem is that many people think they have an idea who Lady Gaga is.  They often miss Famega or darkga or ARTPOPga etc.

Lady Gaga is a creative, beautiful soul that can take any form through her art. When she has taken a form, it's totally different than our expectations (Sometimes you can still see traces of other eras in her work) But that's her. That's what makes her unique besides her amazing talent.

It’s crazy that she has been saying that since the beginning. At the very beginning she knew what she was capable of doing, and us as monsters still are up in arms. 

We want to course correct her so badly sometimes, or get her to do certain things for the quick gain. 

It’s really fascinating to see someone able to captive and subvert expectations for 15 years and still remain so focused

i hope i don't come across too simplistic, but i think she just changed over the years (as we all did). the way i see it, she stays true to herself at all times. but that means something different in each era, because years go by and we change (through trauma, but also from the things we learn about life and about ourselves). no one steps into the same river twice...

besides, i guess most fans feel nostalgic because she was more commercially successful before. i'm not targeting anyone in particular, i even think that sometimes it happens unconsciously.

finally, as an artist she doesn't do things for us fans. she does what she wants to do. obviously i don't think she became some sort of niche artist. i know she wants to be heard and seen for as many people as possible, but i don't see her compromising who she is for it. i guess it's quite a win to be able to be this free. she has become synonymous with professionalism. the media respects her so much (especially compared to the beginning of her career). i myself am very grateful to be able to watch her blossom as an artist.

Archived