celeb

LA Times: "Beyoncé should never attend another Grammy Awards"

COOOK

Featured Posts

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this whole debate went down a toxic path so fast it's messy af

it's pretty obvious what LA Times meant when they wrote that, it's not some the weekend-not-attenting-the-grammys-anymore type thing

StrawberryBlond

An AOTY win was never necessary to guarantee a long and successful career, nor a necessity to be considered a legend. And it's certainly not needed when you're the most awarded (and joint most nominated) artist in Grammy history. Beyonce is clearly loved by the academy and always will be and her continuous losing out on the biggest award of the night doesn't change that. Most artists won't win it. We act as if every academy member has agreed on the awards but they obviously don't, otherwise there wouldn't be a whole team of them voting, hence, differing opinions. So it stands to reason that not all of them even agree with the results either. So, why put so much stock in it?

Many artists have only been celebrated in their respective genre categories but miss out on the big 4, with Gaga being one of them (she's also lost AOTY 4 times, just like Beyonce) but no one is citing this as a big conspiracy against her. Remember that many consider winning the award to be the kiss of death anyway, pointing out how so many artists careers nose-dived afterwards. You also have to notice that when an artist wins AOTY, they usually stop being nominated and awarded anywhere near as much afterwards. It happened to Christopher Cross, Alanis Morissette, Celine Dion, Santana, Norah Jones, Arcade Fire, Mumford & Sons, Beck and many more. Already it looks like Kacey Musgraves and Billie Eilish could be going the same way. It seems like it pays to win it much later in life but even if you do, expect your wins and even nominations to cool down afterwards. Alison Krauss was the woman with the most Grammys before Beyonce and when she had a clean sweep in 2009 including AOTY, she got one more win in 2012 and she's not won a thing since. She's got a paltry 4 nominations since her 2009 win, the last one being in 2018. If that's how the most awarded woman ends up getting treated, be prepared for the next most awarded woman to start experiencing something similar.

At the end of the day, you have to say to yourself: what's better? Winning AOTY but never winning anything ever again and barely even getting a nomination...or never winning AOTY but continuing to gradually gain wins here and there for the rest of your career while maintaining the position of the most awarded? I sure know which one I'd prefer.

Eh, I think they're just spreading out her awards

Renaissance is going to be a trilogy right? So they'll give her AOTY for the second or third one (or all of them at one time? Idk how that works)

badfaith
15 hours ago, COOOK said:

a jump attributable at least in part to the suspense surrounding Beyoncé’s opportunity to break the all-time record.

I didn't even know she was set to break the record, and I am pretty exposed to stan twt and pop girls, so are the gp even aware?

badfaith
15 minutes ago, Ivy said:

Renaissance is going to be a trilogy right? 

Imagine if she went the Gaga route and never continued on it like the 'To be continued' in Telephone and ofc the ARTPOP ACT 2 :ladyhaha:

Cssomeone

The fact that Beyoncé, who is 40 something years old, has more Grammy Awards than Diana Ross, Aretha Franklin and Whitney Houston ... combined, shows how much she is loved by the academy. Meanwhile, artists who have released albums which are considered influential and truly innovative, have never won or been nominated for AotY

By the way, I hate it how people always make the whole situation about Beyoncé, when there are literally 10 artists nominated. It creates such an awkward scene for whoever wins AotY having to answer something about her.

phantasmas

as much as i agree, she would just look a bitter sore loser if she stopped attending or performing at the grammys

she should keep going to show everyone what a real super mega star looks like  :queenga:

Archived