throwback

Rihanna: "I don't make generic music like Gaga and Katy"

Dojo

Featured Posts

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Economy said:

I can't see Britney singing shot a man down lol.

Her thin voice would sound really weird with the rum papapum Ron papapum part lol

criminal is basically the popish man down :ororomunroe:

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Putang Ina Mo

She has no right to shade other singers on making "generic" music when she seldomly writes or produce her own music. 

my username says it all 🇵🇭

Smother Em Eh
47 minutes ago, NATAH said:

that just makes it worse cus how was Bad Romance in any way generic at the time? :messga:

Well what I really meant was excluding BR, Alejandro & and TF singles, TF/ TFM aren’t as risky, creative and artistic as BTW and ARTPOP. Even though TF singles and the whole TFM Album is Pop Perfection at it’s core, Gaga stepped her game up EVEN MORE after TFM. 

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

Battle 4 Ur Life

she’s literally saying that among all the songs that are OFFERED to her (as in she didn’t write any of them herself in the first place) she only does the ones that she feels suits “her vibe” and aesthetic.

she’s still mostly a corporate constructed artist. she developed her own persona over the years without a doubt and established her own brand but basically ANY pop girl could have done her earlier songs. be realistic, Rihanna.

"We own the Downtown, hear our sound."

skaxboy

I mean I love her confidence here but she was so wrong. She’s the type of artist who shops for songs and then records them. I think she is fabulous and has so many bops, but in 2010 during that interview she hadn’t really served live vocal or choreography to be saying so pretentious like this. 

Thomas P
1 hour ago, Stephen said:

It's funny because she probably was getting offered a lot of songs back then that were specifically described as "Gaga type" songs or "Kesha type" songs because that's what was charting at the time. And she's saying she rejected those songs in favor of something that felt more specific to her.

It does sound very condescending because Gaga wasn't following a trend when she made Poker Face or Bad Romance, she was pioneering the trend. Only after Gaga and Black Eyed Peas brought dance back to top 40 did Rihanna consider doing a track like Only Girl in the World. :billie:

I mean that’s not completely true. Please Don’t Stop the Music was a song that really helped usher in the dance wave that took over.

But I agree, this doesn’t feel super condescending at all, she was definitely just offered songs that were “gaga” songs or “Katy” songs, and she turned them down.

On another note, I find this hilarious because, given the red hair, this was certainly the Loud era, which is perhaps her most generic sounding album to date (I love it, but oh wow is that album ever a 2010 album lol). 

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

Edonis

The lies people are spreading about Ga's work to defend a dumb comment like that...

I mean, The Fame and The Fame Monster got its critical acclaim and commercial attention because it was so different from the rest of western dance pop at the time. Its' weird mix of retro-futurism and familiarity is precisely the reason why it got so big and catapulted LG into stardom. No one in top 40 pop was making bridges like Just Dance or moaning on tracks like Bad Romance. Even the europop-influences of Telephone hadn't been seen on US radio in over 10 years at that point. 

All our faves talk out of their asses from time to time y'all, you don't have to be a revisionist to justify stupid comments.  

SpiritBunny

Poor her. Gaga could do any genre of music better than her. Glad artists don't talk shady like this anymore though. 

Brooke Hoegan

This smells like weed or crack  :alsemanche:

I like her music but I surely do not like her. She sounds very uninformed here and like she doesn't really know what she's even talking about. What she says sounds exactly like what an ignorant fan on twitter could say.

And I don't like her because I read some nasty p*do sh*t about her likings of teens, especially girls, so that is that. Hasn't she also worked with Dr Puke and nobody had a problem with that?

She meant she didn’t want to record songs that sound like reproductions, as in following trends, as in copying x pop star, as in I don’t want my music to sound like theirs, that would be generic. And I’d say it truly was super important for her, because her music is quite unique. 

She’s not calling anyone’s music generic. :smh:

Archived