Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

5 grammy voters reveal their picks

Dojo

Featured Posts

androiduser
3 hours ago, Chromatography said:

A thirtysomething female singer voting for the second time

i feel like this is..wrong? like it’s weird to me that singers currently in the business can vote. i’m sure she has been in competition with others on this list before so it feels somewhat odd

wtf, who do you expect to vote?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
androiduser
28 minutes ago, ALGAYDO said:

If I remember correctly, you don’t have to have won a Grammy or Oscar to be part of the voting body of those academies, you just need someone already in the voting body to sponsor you to get in. I might be wrong tho lol 

not sure about the Grammys, but for the Oscars even B-list actors can be members, they just need to have a certain number of movies behind them, they don't need to be "good" actors.

EDIT: the requirement for actors is: scripted roles in three films, with at least one of these from the past five years.

moonsago
20 minutes ago, androiduser said:

not sure about the Grammys, but for the Oscars even B-list actors can be members, they just need to have a certain number of movies behind them, they don't need to be "good" actors.

EDIT: the requirement for actors is: scripted roles in three films, with at least one of these from the past five years.

I think for the grammys too, I remember reading somewhere that the BTS members and their founder/producer are academy members that vote since 2020 I believe and they don’t have a win. 

3 hours ago, Chromatography said:

A thirtysomething female singer voting for the second time

i feel like this is..wrong? like it’s weird to me that singers currently in the business can vote. i’m sure she has been in competition with others on this list before so it feels somewhat odd

How is that wrong? The academy is literally made up of people working in the business. It’s the same for the Oscars. 

Chromatography
8 hours ago, Meat said:

How is that wrong? The academy is literally made up of people working in the business. It’s the same for the Oscars. 

yes it just feels weird to me that they actually expect singers to put their huge egos aside and actually vote for the best one

people are really on my case about this one like damn…i think people like justin bieber for instance or drake would let their personal feelings get involved. so yeah i think it’s just strange

18 minutes ago, Chromatography said:

yes it just feels weird to me that they actually expect singers to put their huge egos aside and actually vote for the best one

people are really on my case about this one like damn…i think people like justin bieber for instance or drake would let their personal feelings get involved. so yeah i think it’s just strange

An artist, especially an esteemed artist in the field should have no issue rating the music to the best of their knowledge and taste. Like it’s the bare minimum, and not everybody is there to make sinister plots and sabotage one artist over the other. But maybe things work different in US though..

freebit
9 hours ago, moonsago said:

Except there are other artists out there who do that as well but the narrative is still that Beyonce should win because well... she’s Beyonce. That’s why people act like Taylor or Adele did not deserve their AOTY win when they both made that ‘splash’ themselves too. 25 is one of the most successful albums in recent history, the impact is there, so why don’t people say the same thing about Adele? Her recent album was more succesful than Beyonce’s but this narrative does not exist about her. Let’s be honest, it’s just about Beyonce. 

Yeah, Mary J Blige could win in an upset, and we all know the media and stans would not let her fully have her moment because Beyonce didn't win.

Going by that New York Times article, if say instead of Beyonce, Bad Bunny (who is having a moment and is currently at the height of his career) wins AOTY, this means the Grammys "aren't relevant." It's like, yeah, they are bs, but not for only snubbing Beyonce.

47 minutes ago, Chromatography said:

You raise an interesting point actually. I totally think the Beyonce worship must piss off other artists & industry folk, especially the dinosaurs and snobs in the industry who don't like sampling and a lot of writers on one song. Some of it is racially motivated consciously or unconciously, but I would say some of it is about ego too, because the media kind of does this thing where there is only Beyonce, and everyone else doesn't matter. Honestly, these things together kind of make sense why she hasn't won yet. 

13 hours ago, Dojo said:

why do i feel like voter 5 is Gaga?

Too inarticulate & dispassionate/chill to be our girl. Plus, if she played the flute, or even attempted to or dabbled, she'd definitely make it known :air:

Ladle Ghoulash

Except there are other artists out there who do that as well but the narrative is still that Beyonce should win because well... she’s Beyonce. That’s why people act like Taylor or Adele did not deserve their AOTY win when they both made that ‘splash’ themselves too. 25 is one of the most successful albums in recent history, the impact is there, so why don’t people say the same thing about Adele? Her recent album was more succesful than Beyonce’s but this narrative does not exist about her. Let’s be honest, it’s just about Beyonce. 

Eh, I'm not a huge Beyoncé stan by any means, but imo: either Renaissance or Mr. Morale should win because they're better than a lot of the other records that are nominated :oops:

Those are successful! But let’s be totally honest they did not build hype the same way Beyoncé does. She’s a master marketer. Thats what I mean, the same as Gaga was with BTW. It’s not about the pure numbers or sales it’s about the perception of an event that I’m talking about. No one and I mean no one is doing that like Beyoncé is these days. She makes her albums feel like cultural moments to listen to like how people felt they NEEDED to see marvel films like 8 years back. If we suppose these awards are all about marketing and the business is about entertaining, Beyoncé and her team have done a great job at making her album rollouts and experience to be had and shared with since self-titled. Adele absolutely hasn’t done that and Taylor swift hasn’t too consciously done it either. That’s okay! It isn’t their bag. It was very much Gaga’s bag. The thing is, though, when it comes to drumming up fervent support for someone “deserving” a reward…you’re only going to do that by making it feel like nothing but your work mattered that year which even before release Renaissance did.

im not dissing these artists, I’m explaining that from a marketing angle, no one is giving it the care that Parkwood is and that’s honestly bc I don’t think they could atm. Beyoncé is able to do this cashing in on a caché of fan good will and general performance excellence from over 20 years in the highest echelon of the public eye. That doesn’t necessarily mean her albums are rated better or that she is better, but it means that she can experiment wildly with her releases bc she is probably the most seasoned veteran major pop act who’s relevant today. So she can say she’s the queen and it isn’t out of the realm of belief when she also has incredible talent to back it up.

Adele can’t drum up that cultural hype. Taylor Swift can’t. Gaga can’t really anymore. No one can but Beyoncé bc outside of her you don’t market music that way anymore and the only reason she’s the exception is bc she has been in this for so long and *now especially* her music is also getting immense critical acclaim.

so it’s a combination of the music quality up-leveling significantly and then immersive marketing that only someone in her position can do that makes her feel like THAT girl to people. It’s brilliant marketing bc it’s the one thing no one can replicate. In other words, she is probably one of the few artists who you can say has REALLY carved out her own lane that isn’t deeply chart reliant. And for that, fans think an AOTY is not only warranted since the music is of a higher caliber, but deserved bc she has been positioned as though no one is doing it like her which in certain respects they aren’t.

moonsago
13 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Those are successful! But let’s be totally honest they did not build hype the same way Beyoncé does. She’s a master marketer. Thats what I mean, the same as Gaga was with BTW. It’s not about the pure numbers or sales it’s about the perception of an event that I’m talking about. No one and I mean no one is doing that like Beyoncé is these days. She makes her albums feel like cultural moments to listen to like how people felt they NEEDED to see marvel films like 8 years back. If we suppose these awards are all about marketing and the business is about entertaining, Beyoncé and her team have done a great job at making her album rollouts and experience to be had and shared with since self-titled. Adele absolutely hasn’t done that and Taylor swift hasn’t too consciously done it either. That’s okay! It isn’t their bag. It was very much Gaga’s bag. The thing is, though, when it comes to drumming up fervent support for someone “deserving” a reward…you’re only going to do that by making it feel like nothing but your work mattered that year which even before release Renaissance did.

im not dissing these artists, I’m explaining that from a marketing angle, no one is giving it the care that Parkwood is and that’s honestly bc I don’t think they could atm. Beyoncé is able to do this cashing in on a caché of fan good will and general performance excellence from over 20 years in the highest echelon of the public eye. That doesn’t necessarily mean her albums are rated better or that she is better, but it means that she can experiment wildly with her releases bc she is probably the most seasoned veteran major pop act who’s relevant today. So she can say she’s the queen and it isn’t out of the realm of belief when she also has incredible talent to back it up.

Adele can’t drum up that cultural hype. Taylor Swift can’t. Gaga can’t really anymore. No one can but Beyoncé bc outside of her you don’t market music that way anymore and the only reason she’s the exception is bc she has been in this for so long and *now especially* her music is also getting immense critical acclaim.

so it’s a combination of the music quality up-leveling significantly and then immersive marketing that only someone in her position can do that makes her feel like THAT girl to people. It’s brilliant marketing bc it’s the one thing no one can replicate. In other words, she is probably one of the few artists who you can say has REALLY carved out her own lane that isn’t deeply chart reliant. And for that, fans think an AOTY is not only warranted since the music is of a higher caliber, but deserved bc she has been positioned as though no one is doing it like her which in certain respects they aren’t.

I am sorry but I completely disagree, Taylor Swift just broke TicketMaster so to say that she does not have cultural impact is untrue, everybody cared when she drops her stuff ( and mind you she’s been dropping stuff constantly nowadays with her re-recordings and people are still there ), she literally topped all 10 positions on Billboard and had extreme success with her latest release, you can’t do that without having cultural impact that comes from the power of making people feel like they HAVE to listen to her music. Same with Adele, the anticipation for her music was unreal. Maybe, if you run in circles where there are a lot of Beyonce fans it might seem like that but not everybody cares about her the way you speak but they do about other artists. And what exactly was the cultural impact of her latest release? After the initial excitement, nobody talked about the release anymore after the first 2 months of so. This was not like her self titled album and most definitely not like Formation. Beyonce is not the only one making an impact on culture. 

5 minutes ago, moonsago said:

I am sorry but I completely disagree, Taylor Swift just broke TicketMaster so to say that she does not have cultural impact is untrue, everybody cared when she drops her stuff ( and mind you she’s been dropping stuff constantly nowadays with her re-recordings and people are still there ), she literally topped all 10 positions on Billboard and had extreme success with her latest release, you can’t do that without having cultural impact that comes from the power of making people feel like they HAVE to listen to her music. Same with Adele, the anticipation for her music was unreal. Maybe, if you run in circles where there are a lot of Beyonce fans it might seem like that but not everybody cares about her the way you speak but they do about other artists. And what exactly was the cultural impact of her latest release? After the initial excitement, nobody talked about the release anymore after the first 2 months of so. This was not like her self titled album and most definitely not like Formation. Beyonce is not the only one making an impact on culture. 

Oh my god I’m not saying she doesn’t have cultural impact lmao I’m saying neither are making the albums feel like events of discourse where even haters need to listen to it. Tbh I didn’t really like Adele’s music prior to 25. It was nice! Just didn’t really click. But I was excited for 30 and found myself being like let’s give it a spin and it was great! But to say that her marketing made it feel like an event you HAD to hear is different from saying there was hype. Same with Taylor Swift. Id say she’s closest but I don’t think non Taylor swift fans feel particularly compelled to spin midnights based on feeling like they have to. I think a lot of people even on this site threw on Renaissance even when they aren’t a stan bc it was the release to listen to to have an opinion on.

taylor swift is really great at making fans excited for her releases (obviously as you pointed out) and they smash hugely but Beyoncé’s marketing is specifically around getting public conversation around the music. Lemonade that was the scandal, self titled it was the surprise drop. Renaissance it was a bit more muddled but was about the “queen” returning to her first solo LP after years since what was widely considered her best album. It’s not saying she’s more relevant I’m talking about intention of the marketing. Taylor is marketing to her audience and her audience alone. Beyoncé wants to evangelize her audience lmao to be clear, the comparison is only apt bc they both aren’t particularly chart reliant artists anymore to be seen as successful.

Ofc these enormously successful artists have impact. I’m talking about their marketing strategies which, since y’all are asking why people could possibly be fervently pushing for Beyoncé to deserve the AOTY, is relevant. Actually it’s the only thing that’s relevant. Beyoncé evangelizes fans like no other artist with the exception of Taylor swift. But Taylor Swift doesn’t really galvanize that energy in the same kind of way. Again. Not saying she isn’t relevant. I’m talking about marketing strategies activating fans. If it had been this long and Taylor not won album of the year MANY times, the swifties would be absolutely no different and that’s a fact. Hell, Taylor’s marketing would probably be VERY different to secure that for herself. But since she’s won it times over, she can comfortably exist post-awards and just do her thing. Beyoncé is angling for the album of the year top prize. Tbh this convo wouldn't even be happening if lemonade had won the award. It’s literally just bc of that at this point.

moonsago
4 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Oh my god I’m not saying she doesn’t have cultural impact lmao I’m saying neither are making the albums feel like events of discourse where even haters need to listen to it. Tbh I didn’t really like Adele’s music prior to 25. It was nice! Just didn’t really click. But I was excited for 30 and found myself being like let’s give it a spin and it was great! But to say that her marketing made it feel like an event you HAD to hear is different from saying there was hype. Same with Taylor Swift. Id say she’s closest but I don’t think non Taylor swift fans feel particularly compelled to spin midnights based on feeling like they have to. I think a lot of people even on this site threw on Renaissance even when they aren’t a stan bc it was the release to listen to to have an opinion on.

taylor swift is really great at making fans excited for her releases (obviously as you pointed out) and they smash hugely but Beyoncé’s marketing is specifically around getting public conversation around the music. Lemonade that was the scandal, self titled it was the surprise drop. Renaissance it was a bit more muddled but was about the “queen” returning to her first solo LP after years since what was widely considered her best album. It’s not saying she’s more relevant I’m talking about intention of the marketing. Taylor is marketing to her audience and her audience alone. Beyoncé wants to evangelize her audience lmao to be clear, the comparison is only apt bc they both aren’t particularly chart reliant artists anymore to be seen as successful.

Ofc these enormously successful artists have impact. I’m talking about their marketing strategies which, since y’all are asking why people could possibly be fervently pushing for Beyoncé to deserve the AOTY, is relevant. Actually it’s the only thing that’s relevant. Beyoncé evangelizes fans like no other artist with the exception of Taylor swift. But Taylor Swift doesn’t really galvanize that energy in the same kind of way. Again. Not saying she isn’t relevant. I’m talking about marketing strategies activating fans. If it had been this long and Taylor not won album of the year MANY times, the swifties would be absolutely no different and that’s a fact. Hell, Taylor’s marketing would probably be VERY different to secure that for herself. But since she’s won it times over, she can comfortably exist post-awards and just do her thing. Beyoncé is angling for the album of the year top prize. Tbh this convo wouldn't even be happening if lemonade had won the award. It’s literally just bc of that at this point.

I disagree again, Beyonce’s release was seen as an event because she didn’t release a pop album in 6 years, so of course people will care the same way they will for Riri. Taylor did not achieve what she achieved if the only people listening to her were her fans, and especially not after 3 years of constantly releasing literally re-recordings. Out of all these artists Taylor is the one that has the most success with the general public, and you can see that, as I said with what happened with TicketMaster. The public is there for Taylor Swift and what she does. Also, I understand that you don’t want to judge cultural impact by numbers but... you kinda have to especially in this day and age. If people cared the way you say they do, Beyonce would outperform Taylor and Adele, which she did not, so the impact was not as great as theirs. The numbers would reflect the general public you speak of, but they don’t. The people that cared most about Beyonce’s release were stans on the internet. And I really don’t say this to hate on her, as I said previously I do enjoy her and her music, I just don’t enjoy the narrative around her and how she’s the only deserving artist to win everything, it’s just untrue. 

Archived