💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

5 grammy voters reveal their picks

Dojo

Featured Posts

None of them went for RENAISSANCE in any category :marges:

Grammy Voters Reveal Secret Ballots: Why Industry Pros Did or Didn’t Go for Beyoncé, Harry Styles, Adele, Lizzo and Other Front-Runners

Five Grammy voters tell Variety who they cast their ballots for in the top four categories — and why they passed up some of the other nominees.

Do Grammy voters go with their heads or their hearts? Do they pick by personal preference or strategically? Do they even know who the nominees are? To get inside the voting body’s mind, Variety spoke with five industry figures, on the condition of anonymity, to find out how Recording Academy members really made their decisions about the contenders in the top four categories this year.

Voter 1: 

A music manager who has been a Grammy voter for 15-plus years

Voter 2: 

A Grammy-winning producer-engineer who has been a voter for almost 20 years

Voter 3

A 20-something producer, voting for the first time

Voter 4:

A music business veteran in his 70s

Voter 5:

A thirtysomething female singer voting for the second time

to know who these anonymous voters went for in the main categories

https://variety.com/2023/music/news/grammy-voters-secret-ballots-top-categories-beyonce-harry-styles-adele-1235511331/amp/

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Future Lovers

Everyone on Twitter being so shook and upset about this as if it has not been known from the word go that the Recording Academy votes on nothing else but their own personal preferences and opinions and that they do not in fact listen to all of the submissions and nominees, especially in genre specific categories, because that isn't humanly possible in the time frame they're given. 

Edit: Also some of these twitter stans being big mad that their reasoning isn't deep or complex like...what do they think Grammy voters are asked to do? They're there to give a yes or a no (the Grammy voting sheet is literally a fill in the bubble next to your choice). They're not critics, they're not there to provide feedback on the music or dive deeply into the process and everything. They're there to give their to the point yes or no opinion and nothing else. 

I think people are very confused as to what role the Recording Academy actually has when it comes to voting. 

Chromatography

A thirtysomething female singer voting for the second time

i feel like this is..wrong? like it’s weird to me that singers currently in the business can vote. i’m sure she has been in competition with others on this list before so it feels somewhat odd

Chromatography
29 minutes ago, Dojo said:

why do i feel like voter 5 is Gaga?

doesn’t sound like her the way she’s talking. if anything it sounds like katy perry. talking about releasing catchy pop songs and this line

I respect Lizzo as an artist, because she plays the flute and I do, too, but she’s not my favorite

makes me think it’s her because she had that flute/recorder joke during the teenage dream era iirc 

29 minutes ago, Chromatography said:

doesn’t sound like her the way she’s talking. if anything it sounds like katy perry. talking about releasing catchy pop songs and this line

I respect Lizzo as an artist, because she plays the flute and I do, too, but she’s not my favorite

makes me think it’s her because she had that flute/recorder joke during the teenage dream era iirc 

but Katy doesn't play the flute either, that was a joke 

Chromatography
17 minutes ago, Dojo said:

but Katy doesn't play the flute either, that was a joke 

yes i know i said it was her joke  and it would be very like her to joke about it

Anderson123

I’m the 70 year old boomer voting for ABBA in every category with my eyes closed. :billie: But for real, these make it look like it’s obvious Adele or Beyoncé are going to sweep and they want to so something different. Steve Lacy is getting some talk from these but I still think it’s going to be Adele or Beyoncé main categories. 

2 hours ago, Chromatography said:

A thirtysomething female singer voting for the second time

i feel like this is..wrong? like it’s weird to me that singers currently in the business can vote. i’m sure she has been in competition with others on this list before so it feels somewhat odd

It’s industry people including actors/singers that decide all the award wins like Oscar’s and Grammys lol (unless it’s bought/etc)

LateToCult
1 hour ago, Chromatography said:

yes i know i said it was her joke  and it would be very like her to joke about it

Wait…Katy can vote? I thought you had to be a winner to be invited to vote. :messga:

ALGAYDO
9 minutes ago, LateToCult said:

Wait…Katy can vote? I thought you had to be a winner to be invited to vote. :messga:

If I remember correctly, you don’t have to have won a Grammy or Oscar to be part of the voting body of those academies, you just need someone already in the voting body to sponsor you to get in. I might be wrong tho lol 

moonsago

What do people expect? Of course it’s subjective, we’re talking about art here. There’s no way to measure or determine ‘the best music’ because the answer is relative. People should realize that award shows are not objective and they are not a popularity contest always either, they are the reflection of what the voters personally like, their friendships and loyalties to certain artists, the artists they admire themselves, etc. There’s nothing fair or unfair about that, it just is what it is. 

Also, I enjoy Beyonce and her music but I totally agree with what the 70 y/o said here ‘With Beyoncé, the fact that every time she does something new, it’s a big event and everyone’s supposed to quake in their shoes — it’s a little too portentous.’ It’s true, it always feels like people need to give her every award because she’s Beyonce, regardless of anything else, and it’s annoying and disrespectful to all the other artists when the narrative is that ‘she doesn’t get what she deserves’ when someone else wins. She’s the most grammy awarded female artist in history, like PLEASE. 

7 minutes ago, moonsago said:

What do people expect? Of course it’s subjective, we’re talking about art here. There’s no way to measure or determine ‘the best music’ because the answer is relative. People should realize that award shows are not objective and they are not a popularity contest always either, they are the reflection of what the voters personally like, their friendships and loyalties to certain artists, the artists they admire themselves, etc. There’s nothing fair or unfair about that, it just is what it is. 

Also, I enjoy Beyonce and her music but I totally agree with what the 70 y/o said here ‘With Beyoncé, the fact that every time she does something new, it’s a big event and everyone’s supposed to quake in their shoes — it’s a little too portentous.’ It’s true, it always feels like people need to give her every award because she’s Beyonce, regardless of anything else, and it’s annoying and disrespectful to all the other artists when the narrative is that ‘she doesn’t get what she deserves’ when someone else wins. She’s the most grammy awarded female artist in history, like PLEASE. 

Eh that 70 yr old person is pressed that their faves can’t make a moment. If ABBA had dominated with their album and had a proper and true comeback with it they’d be living. I think people say that about Beyoncé bc she does it so well but lbr we all were gutted Gaga couldn’t do it with chromatica. Everyone wants their fav to make a splash; Beyoncé is just able to execute it fairly often

moonsago
3 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Eh that 70 yr old person is pressed that their faves can’t make a moment. If ABBA had dominated with their album and had a proper and true comeback with it they’d be living. I think people say that about Beyoncé bc she does it so well but lbr we all were gutted Gaga couldn’t do it with chromatica. Everyone wants their fav to make a splash; Beyoncé is just able to execute it fairly often

Except there are other artists out there who do that as well but the narrative is still that Beyonce should win because well... she’s Beyonce. That’s why people act like Taylor or Adele did not deserve their AOTY win when they both made that ‘splash’ themselves too. 25 is one of the most successful albums in recent history, the impact is there, so why don’t people say the same thing about Adele? Her recent album was more succesful than Beyonce’s but this narrative does not exist about her. Let’s be honest, it’s just about Beyonce. 

Archived