49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree?

• Yes.
    • No.

Featured Posts

Togekiss
4 hours ago, nightadieu said:

oop the fashion police has arrived :billie:

This whole topic was about Sam’s queerness and the hatred they’re receiving for it but y’all made it about the outfits and how they don’t conform to a societal norm, further proving the point that a bigger body can’t be dressed “sexy” without becoming a target of hate and a nonbinary person can’t freely express themselves without being labeled as attention seeking. 

To be fair about the clothes, much of what Sam wears lately is literally designed for a cis woman’s body. It’s not shade if it looks bad it’s just the proportions it was designed for and such.

That being said, I think the hate he’s getting is mostly just good old fashioned homophobia.

bring on that pecan pie

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
crackhead

Of course there’s a lot of covert-hyper-masculinity and fat shaming and self-hatred in the gay community, and that definitely fuels a lot of the hate, unfortunately!

For me, I really started to dislike Sam when I heard Unholy because it’s such a blatant, mainstream, major-label SOPHIE ripoff packaged to seem edgy and new for the general public. The problem with that, is that very attractive and talented female musicians have been trying to sell this exact sound for years now. Charli XCX has been put in a “better-as-a-song-writer” box for a lot of her career, and was totally shafted by her label while trying to make the same music. SOPHIE was likely not included in Chromatica over fear of a second ARTPOP, and then got watered down by BloodPop (who I used to defend & now regr*t lol). It’s just lame to see a biologically unattractive white male in ill-fitting, shiny clothing sell the same music that Hot Girls have been fighting to make mainstream for the past, like, 7 years lol. 
& then Kim & her new song go hand-in-hand bc her and SOPHIE actually have worked together in past, and it’s absolutely so embarrassing to watch her to release a poorly produced 2016 SoundCloud SOPHIE type beat after her death and promote it on television to the masses.

It's their body and their identity, why would other people try to intervene their style and telling that they should worry about children? your children are your responsibility, not artists'.

I'm newbie here wkwkwk

If you don't like their style it's acceptable, fems are not attracted to fems. but don't spread hates. just shut your mouth.

I'm newbie here wkwkwk

Economy
6 hours ago, Cameltoe Chariot said:

But are we allowed to not like it because we think the visuals are weak and an attempt to shock people to generate press? Are we not allowed to think the costumes they're wearing are ugly and awkward?

I have zero issues with Sam's weight or queerness. I'm not concerned with whether the outfits "fit" them, or whether they're too "flamboyant". I just think the clothes are ugly and poorly styled, and the sexual displays feel awkward like a teenager saying "penis" and then giggling :awkney:

It feels like people throw around words like fatphobic or nb-phobic to try and silence people who aren't into them. I feel like that's just as bad as actual phobic behaviour because it cheapens the real examples of that type of hatred.

...Aaaaand I also think they people are blowing this out of proportion because no one seems to be listening to or watching Sam outside of Unholy :ororomunroe:

I guess the OP is focusing on instances of hate or criticism that are specifically as a result of either fat or homophobia (or both) and I'd say they are right cuz there's a good amount of that going around to Sam Smith.

As far as ppl simply not liking the style but then being accused it's for homophobia I do agree that's also the case for many... Now a days on the internet ppl always wanna put words in your mouth or add on to what u didn't say and make assumptions to seem woke. Nothing new

Personally if Sam is happy with their art ok great. They do not need my approval. But I'd also be in the camp that thinks its not my cup of tea at all

Healed My Heart
6 hours ago, nightadieu said:

what does it tell you about society that e.g. a bunch of rhinestoned fabrics is perceived as sexy on a lean normal body and receives lots of praise and acclaim whereas put on a bigger body, people just hate on it? 

This.

2 hours ago, JohnDeWayne said:

If y’all saw a skinny Gaga rocking these same looks you’d be screaming, “QUEEN! LEGEND! ICONIC! SLAAAYY!” 

And this.

Saying their looks are "unflattering" or "not tailored well" is just a thinly-veiled criticism of the body that's wearing the clothes. Fat people don't have to dress in a way that makes you comfortable.

She/her đź’—đź’śđź’™

3 hours ago, JohnDeWayne said:

If y’all saw a skinny Gaga rocking these same looks you’d be screaming, “QUEEN! LEGEND! ICONIC! SLAAAYY!” 

It's different when someone like Gaga has been doing it for decades and not just for shock value/an "era". 

Healed My Heart
1 minute ago, LG666 said:

It's different when someone like Gaga has been doing it for decades and not just for shock value/an "era". 

But why do you consider it being done for shock value in the first place?

Sam has only recently come fully out with their identity. Their album discusses how they've struggled with hating their self, but have finally learned to love. I don't believe this is for an "era," but rather the first time Sam has felt able to fully express their self. And it's sad that people are calling them cringey for it.

She/her đź’—đź’śđź’™

JohnDeWayne
4 minutes ago, LG666 said:

One could also argue that Madonna has been doing it for even longer and Gaga is “reductive”. Fashion is cyclical. Gaga always said that she presented herself this way because “this is who the **** I am”. Maybe this is who the **** Sam is. Who are you to judge?

Sugar Baby

I didn’t like their new music video because I am homophobic or fat phobic the video is simply tacky and cringe sorry :messga: if a muscular Henry Cavill type of men did a video like this I would still think it’s tacky and vulgar 

NichuuB
1 hour ago, crackhead said:

It’s just lame to see a biologically unattractive white male in ill-fitting, shiny clothing sell the same music that Hot Girls have been fighting to make mainstream for the past, like, 7 years lol. 

Not this. Listen to yourself. Calling people as biologically unattractive is dead ass evil. You praised Gaga so much on your post and yet it seems you never get the message of her songs right. What you're doing is straight up wrong, definitely body shaming. Reported, i hope you get a WP and find another place to post cruel comments. Not here

Property of @Whale

NichuuB

Of course there’s a lot of covert-hyper-masculinity and fat shaming and self-hatred in the gay community, and that definitely fuels a lot of the hate, unfortunately!

For me, I really started to dislike Sam when I heard Unholy because it’s such a blatant, mainstream, major-label SOPHIE ripoff packaged to seem edgy and new for the general public. The problem with that, is that very attractive and talented female musicians have been trying to sell this exact sound for years now. Charli XCX has been put in a “better-as-a-song-writer” box for a lot of her career, and was totally shafted by her label while trying to make the same music. SOPHIE was likely not included in Chromatica over fear of a second ARTPOP, and then got watered down by BloodPop (who I used to defend & now regr*t lol). It’s just lame to see a biologically unattractive white male in ill-fitting, shiny clothing sell the same music that Hot Girls have been fighting to make mainstream for the past, like, 7 years lol. 
& then Kim & her new song go hand-in-hand bc her and SOPHIE actually have worked together in past, and it’s absolutely so embarrassing to watch her to release a poorly produced 2016 SoundCloud SOPHIE type beat after her death and promote it on television to the masses.

Also, you stank

Property of @Whale

Edonis

Aside from the very first sentence, almost everything else in this post is either wildly inaccurate, offensive, gross, or a projection. 

• Moderator locked this topic

Archived