Do you agree?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree?

• Yes.
    • No.

Featured Posts

nightadieu
Just now, Cameltoe Chariot said:

But are we allowed to not like it because we think the visuals are weak and an attempt to shock people to generate press? Are we not allowed to think the costumes they're wearing are ugly and awkward?

I have zero issues with Sam's weight or queerness. I'm not concerned with whether the outfits "fit" them, or whether they're too "flamboyant". I just think the clothes are ugly and poorly styled, and the sexual displays feel awkward like a teenager saying "penis" and then giggling :awkney:

It feels like people throw around words like fatphobic or nb-phobic to try and silence people who aren't into them. I feel like that's just as bad as actual phobic behaviour because it cheapens the real examples of that type of hatred.

...Aaaaand I also think they people are blowing this out of proportion because no one seems to be listening to or watching Sam outside of Unholy :ororomunroe:

4 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

As far as I can see, any criticism towards Sam has nothing to do with sexual or gender identity but more to do with the cringey nature of their output lately, coupled with a lack of self-awareness about said cringeiness. Unholy was a very polorising song and everyone seemed to either love it or hate it. Then the fashion choices were very unflattering, especially those ripped booty shorts and nipple pasties. These things won't be liked by everyone, they're very niche choices and there's almost a sense of Sam wanting you to be shocked, which is a vibe that never goes down well, unless it's a punk rock statement made to the right audience. Perhaps it would come over better if Sam did this with self-belief. I'm just not buying that Sam genuinely has the confidence they're been trying to portray. It seems that they're trying too hard to be a queer icon and a pop superstar and that lack of self-belief shines through and the public pick up on it. You also have to remember that this image is a complete 360 from their old image at the start of their career, which will always be jarring. Let's not pretend that everyone was welcoming of Madonna, Xtina and Miley when they went through major image changes either. You'll also notice that when they toned down their overly sexual images into something a bit more palatable, the public was a lot more receptive. Sam just needs to be more genuine and try not to engineer acceptance. Not everyone will like you but that's ok. Good things tend to come to us when we just chill out and let it all work out naturally.

oop the fashion police has arrived :billie:

This whole topic was about Sam’s queerness and the hatred they’re receiving for it but y’all made it about the outfits and how they don’t conform to a societal norm, further proving the point that a bigger body can’t be dressed “sexy” without becoming a target of hate and a nonbinary person can’t freely express themselves without being labeled as attention seeking. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thisboyisamonster

I am not a huge fan of the new music or videos, but my dislike is not any more than it would be for any other non queer pop era I didn't enjoy (e.g. I found Katy's smile era to be similarly uninteresting and even slightly cringe barring Harley's in Hawaii as a song)

On the contrary I am happy to see them so comfortable in their skin and be a public face for others who may not feel represented/accepted because of their size or queerness. Haters gonna hate. 

Cameltoe Chariot
Just now, nightadieu said:

This whole topic was about Sam’s queerness and the hatred they’re receiving for it but y’all made it about the outfits and how they don’t conform to a societal norm, further proving the point that a bigger body can’t be dressed “sexy” without becoming a target of hate and a nonbinary person can’t freely express themselves without being labeled as attention seeking. 

This is literally robot behaviour lmao

Did you even read what I wrote, or were you just too excited to virtue signal to everyone else on here by trying to twist my words into something hateful and phobic?

I have been called fatphobic and nb-phobic for saying I don't like what Sam's giving in their album rollout. And I'm challenging that by saying I'm neither of those things - I just think what they're doing sucks :huntyga:

Stef666

I think their new ''look'' is ugly. And don't jump on me saying I'm a hater. I love Sam and have their albums and have went to see them live. However, right now, they look ugly. And that's that.

IM GOING TO TAKE A S**T ON MY LAPTOP AND THROW IT LIKE A FRISBY YOU F***ING B**CH

StrawberryBlond
3 minutes ago, nightadieu said:

I didn't make it all about the outfits, though. Nor did I say that you can't dress the way you want. Any body type can look good if you dress it right. There's so many options now for curvier shapes, you can get fashionable, cool, sexy outfits in plus sizes now. You just have to know how to style yourself. It feels like Sam is just putting together certain looks to garner acceptance and shock from the respective communities but there's a lack of what they themselves really want. It's hard to say if their old image was the real them or this new one is the real them. And people of all gender identities can be criticised for dressing in an attention-seeking way. Women have always been blasted for being too sexual and goths and emos were always labelled as just dressing that way for attention and to annoy their parents. How we present ourselves to the world will never be universally accepted, certain subgroups will love us, others will hate us. It's just the way the world works and we definitely don't like being told that we're bigoted just because someone's image doesn't align with our personal taste.

nightadieu
4 minutes ago, Cameltoe Chariot said:

This is literally robot behaviour lmao

Did you even read what I wrote, or were you just too excited to virtue signal to everyone else on here by trying to twist my words into something hateful and phobic?

I have been called fatphobic and nb-phobic for saying I don't like what Sam's giving in their album rollout. And I'm challenging that by saying I'm neither of those things - I just think what they're doing sucks :huntyga:

Part of my response was targeted towards the other comment I had quoted, so don’t take all of it personal. Saying they’re creating these visuals to leave people in shock was what I felt catered into the problem: it’s your personal taste if you think the clothes aren’t pretty, however, what does it tell you about society that e.g. a bunch of rhinestoned fabrics is perceived as sexy on a lean normal body and receives lots of praise and acclaim whereas put on a bigger body, people just hate on it? 

3 minutes ago, Stef666 said:

I think their new ''look'' is ugly. And don't jump on me saying I'm a hater. I love Sam and have their albums and have went to see them live. However, right now, they look ugly. And that's that.

That’s your own personal taste and I don’t see why you feel the need to share such a hateful message? Does it make you feel better?

Stef666

Part of my response was targeted towards the other comment I had quoted, so don’t take all of it personal. Saying they’re creating these visuals to leave people in shock was what I felt catered into the problem: it’s your personal taste if you think the clothes aren’t pretty, however, what does it tell you about society that e.g. a bunch of rhinestoned fabrics is perceived as sexy on a lean normal body and receives lots of praise and acclaim whereas put on a bigger body, people just hate on it? 

That’s your own personal taste and I don’t see why you feel the need to share such a hateful message? Does it make you feel better?

Such a hateful message? Girl, I love how Sam is being unapologetically themselves. All I'm saying is they're not eating it up as they think they are. The new look is NOT IT. Calling their new style ugly is also not hateful. Stop putting words in my mouth. Also, lets stop this narrative that only positive opinions deserve to be shared.

IM GOING TO TAKE A S**T ON MY LAPTOP AND THROW IT LIKE A FRISBY YOU F***ING B**CH

It feels very costumey and what Disney thinks a gay/queer person looks like. Simply... it's not for me and I choose to not listen/view them out of personal taste. 

However, I do not condone hate, and think a lot of the comments are toxic.

nightadieu
1 minute ago, Stef666 said:

Such a hateful message? Girl, I love how Sam is being unapologetically themselves. All I'm saying is they're not eating it up as they think they are. The new look is NOT IT. Calling their new style ugly is also not hateful. Stop putting words in my mouth. Also, lets stop this narrative that only positive opinions deserve to be shared.

So many words and still you don’t see that you’re hating :billie:

Happy people aren’t hating and hating people aren’t happy *mic drop* I’m done arguing here, this really is the toilet of the internet huh

38 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

As far as I can see, any criticism towards Sam has nothing to do with sexual or gender identity but more to do with the cringey nature of their output lately, coupled with a lack of self-awareness about said cringeiness. Unholy was a very polorising song and everyone seemed to either love it or hate it. Then the fashion choices were very unflattering, especially those ripped booty shorts and nipple pasties. These things won't be liked by everyone, they're very niche choices and there's almost a sense of Sam wanting you to be shocked, which is a vibe that never goes down well, unless it's a punk rock statement made to the right audience. Perhaps it would come over better if Sam did this with self-belief. I'm just not buying that Sam genuinely has the confidence they're been trying to portray. It seems that they're trying too hard to be a queer icon and a pop superstar and that lack of self-belief shines through and the public pick up on it. You also have to remember that this image is a complete 360 from their old image at the start of their career, which will always be jarring. Let's not pretend that everyone was welcoming of Madonna, Xtina and Miley when they went through major image changes either. You'll also notice that when they toned down their overly sexual images into something a bit more palatable, the public was a lot more receptive. Sam just needs to be more genuine and try not to engineer acceptance. Not everyone will like you but that's ok. Good things tend to come to us when we just chill out and let it all work out naturally.

interesting angle :ally:

Stef666

So many words and still you don’t see that you’re hating :billie:

Happy people aren’t hating and hating people aren’t happy *mic drop* I’m done arguing here, this really is the toilet of the internet huh

So the entire spectrum of negative opinions just means hate? No nuance or other levels of emotion? Got it. 

The flat out hatred is definitely rooted in homophobia and a disdain for larger bodies.  Especially when the right wingers scream “think of the children!!”

I guess my only critique of Sam’s look is it’s not executed very well and the same goes for the Unholy video.  The garments always look a little off because they’re not fitted properly which makes them look sloppy.  Lizzo always looks fab because her garments are fitted correctly, Sam needs to speak to her seamstress.

Natalia Kills

OK, I'm a soft Conservative so I may drop some controversial bombs here.

Nothing to say about being queer. I find 'queer' a little cringy now because it's become a trendy, visual identity rather than a sexual identity that it used to mean. But each to their own!

Regarding the outfit, if Sam wants to dress like that, they're free to do so! I think the look is hideous and doesn't compliment their features at all, but again, that's my opinion on whether I like it. Sam should be allowed to dress however they want.

Like smoking and drugs, being fat/overweight is a bad thing because it is consistently known to cause poor health outcomes and a lower quality/length of life. I think it's extra harmful for the person because, in most situations that aren't genetic, it's driven by lifestyle choices and is fairly easy to reverse compared to other health conditions. I understand the merits of celebrating larger bodies for confidence, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not worth the suffering that overweight people are more likely to deal with in the future. And in some cases, being overweight/underweight is a sign of poor mental health (e.g. depression, OCD, anxiety, eating disorders etc).

All that said, I don't think Sam is obese and I don't think fat people shouldn't be shamed or celebrated. Perhaps seeing Sam's weight similar to how we see smokers, we all know it's not good for them and it would be better for their sake to change, but also recognizing its their life and their freedom to live how they want. 

JohnDeWayne

If y’all saw a skinny Gaga rocking these same looks you’d be screaming, “QUEEN! LEGEND! ICONIC! SLAAAYY!” 

• Moderator locked this topic

Archived