💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Bisexual Icon, Alan Cumming, Returns His OBE Honorific To British Empire

RAMROD

Featured Posts

RAMROD

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnSINva_fTjoyp2n7pvrc

Actor Alan Cumming has returned the OBE he was awarded in 2009 as part of the Queen's birthday honours list.

The X-Men star said although he had been "grateful", his eyes were now "opened" over "the toxicity of empire". 

Cumming, who also hosts the US version of TV show The Traitors, said the OBE was for his acting, but also for "activism for equal rights for the gay and lesbian community [in the] USA".

"Thankfully, times and laws in the US have changed," he added.

The Scottish actor, writer and presenter said he was returning the award on his 58th birthday, and it was something he "recently did for myself".

When he was made an OBE, he said: "The fight for equality for the LGBT community in the US is something I am very passionate about, and I see this honour as encouragement to go on fighting for what I believe is right and for what I take for granted as a UK citizen."

But Cummings said that 14 years later, the death of the Queen and the "ensuing conversations about the role of monarchy and especially the way the British Empire profited at the expense (and death) of indigenous peoples across the world really opened my eyes". 

He added: "Also, thankfully, times and laws in the US have changed, and the great good the award brought to the LGBTQ+ cause back in 2009 is now less potent than the misgivings I have being associated with the toxicity of empire.

OBE stands for Officer of the Order of the British Empire.

"So I returned my award, explained my reasons and reiterated my great gratitude for being given it in the first place. I'm now back to being plain old Alan Cumming again. Happy birthday to me!"

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-64426465

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

bionic

Is he really suggesting that the US is more progressive than Britain? Britain isn't great but the civil rights in the US currently are, and always have been pretty yikes...

buy bionic

2 hours ago, bionic said:

Is he really suggesting that the US is more progressive than Britain? Britain isn't great but the civil rights in the US currently are, and always have been pretty yikes...

How is the Uk more progressive than the US regarding LGBTQ issues that he is talking about? 

bionic
6 minutes ago, NCgaga said:

How is the Uk more progressive than the US regarding LGBTQ issues that he is talking about? 

Well for one the UK Supreme Court isn't actively fielding opportunities to destroy LGBT rights and same-sex marriage. The US anti-trans sentiments aren't so pervasive in the UK (altho are sadly becoming increasingly so).

Also anti-discrimination legislation is a lot more robust. Right now in the UK the govenrment is supporting legislation to ban LGBT conversion therapies. Some US states have this (not mine) but that would never be passed by COngress

With specific reference to the armed forces which Alan talks about (weird seeing he never served), the Uk removed the ban on service while being out as gay a decade before the US. 

buy bionic

Robo Ga

Whenever I see this man, I know I'm about to watch the worst movie I've ever seen in my life :bradley:

🤖⚡️

bionic
1 minute ago, Robo Ga said:

Whenever I see this man, I know I'm about to watch the worst movie I've ever seen in my life :bradley:

He ruined the Traitors. I hated his run in Cabaret Broadway (poor Joel Gray imitation). He had a neglibile role in Burlesque and I did not mind him in that

buy bionic

LaLuna

Wait, he's bi? I always thought he was gay :wtfga:

3 minutes ago, Robo Ga said:

Well he's made pretty bad movies, (it doesn't get any worse than Son of the Mask :laughga:) but some of them are really good. I highly recommend Circle of Friends.

edengowon
1 hour ago, bionic said:

The US anti-trans sentiments aren't so pervasive in the UK (altho are sadly becoming increasingly so).

i disagree. in fact trans issues are one of the biggest culture war issues being pushed by the british right at the moment, especially in scotland. i would argue focus on trans issues is just as heavy if not heavier in the uk. gay rights over here are rarely mentioned in the media these days, as the focus by the far right is so heavily on trans rights and trans issues.

the artist formerly known as melancholia

bionic
33 minutes ago, Melancholia said:

i disagree. in fact trans issues are one of the biggest culture war issues being pushed by the british right at the moment, especially in scotland. i would argue focus on trans issues is just as heavy if not heavier in the uk. gay rights over here are rarely mentioned in the media these days, as the focus by the far right is so heavily on trans rights and trans issues.

so you think you'd have a better life as a trans person in the US outside of california and new york than in scotland

buy bionic

Madame Goo Goo
4 hours ago, bionic said:

That’s not really what I got from it at all. I interpreted it as him saying he is giving it back because of what the British monarchy has done to indefinite people, even though it was awarded in honor of his work for the LGBTQ+ community. He is trying to say that giving up the OBE would’ve been more difficult had gay rights not advanced as they have in the past 15 years. 

Lady Gaga doesn't owe us anything

2 hours ago, bionic said:

Well for one the UK Supreme Court isn't actively fielding opportunities to destroy LGBT rights and same-sex marriage. The US anti-trans sentiments aren't so pervasive in the UK (altho are sadly becoming increasingly so).

Also anti-discrimination legislation is a lot more robust. Right now in the UK the govenrment is supporting legislation to ban LGBT conversion therapies. Some US states have this (not mine) but that would never be passed by COngress

With specific reference to the armed forces which Alan talks about (weird seeing he never served), the Uk removed the ban on service while being out as gay a decade before the US. 

But comparing a country the size of Europe to acountry the size of California is rediculous. That’s like expecting every country in Europe to be on the same page- east Europe being far less progressive than the west. The same divide is in the US- north and west being far more progressive than the South and Midwest. People in the UK always sound rediculous making that comparison. 

Archived