Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Netflix Password Sharing Crackdown To Start By The End Of March

RAMROD

Featured Posts

RAMROD

Netflix confirmed in a shareholder letter late last week that its move to no longer allow users to share passwords for free could begin by the end of March.

In October, Netflix announced plans to change its policy on password sharing and said it would eventually start charging people to share accounts, but at the time it did not give a specific date for when the new policy would begin.

Even now, the company has not specified a date but did say in the letter that it would begin rolling out paid sharing more broadly "later in Q1 [quarter one]."

In the letter, it detailed that account sharing, which it said is done in more than 100 million households, "undermines" its ability to invest and improve.

The company, which described 2022 as a "tough" year, suffered its first subscriber loss in more than a decade when its customer base fell by 200,000 subscribersin the first quarter of last year.

Despite those losses early last year, Netflix shared it ended on a "brighter finish," praising its fourth-quarter revenue, operating profit, and membership growth as it exceeded forecasts with content like Harry and Meghan that "outperformed" its expectations.

The company noted in the letter, however, that the planned crackdown on account sharing will likely lead "near term engagement, as measured by third parties like Nielsen's The Gauge"  being "negatively impacted."

In efforts to increase growth, the company also launched a lower-priced ad-supported plan in November, stating that the move has driven "incremental membership growth."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/netflix-password-sharing-crackdown-march/

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pennywise

I'm already paying for the most expensive tier just so my sister and brother can use my account too. If they want me to pay even more, I'm canceling :bear:

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE

alsemanche

We're canceling our family plan if this happens lmao I'll just pirate whatever i want

Soft, soothing, and succulent

Railing
6 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

In the letter, it detailed that account sharing, which it said is done in more than 100 million households, "undermines" its ability to invest and improve.

when are they gonna gain a self awareness and realize not only that "what's the Netflix password" is part of their legacy, but also that their lack of growth is because

A) they have competition now
B) they cancel originals either for no reason or because there isn't immediate Stranger Things-level hype, which kinda defeats the point of streaming as a medium separate from cable TV

i remember posting about this and a lot of people asked how would netflix even know?

mother, what must i do?

Cameltoe Chariot

I’ll be cancelling the second they do this, because I really don’t need to keep paying for their sh*t platform anyway :ohwell:

Hung out with a bunch of friends the other day who all said the same thing. I think they’re gonna kill a huge portion of their subscriber base.

RichAssPiss

Capitalism is such a ruthless system. It is not even that they are unprofitable. It's that they cannot demonstrate constant growth to investors without price gouging everyone. 

TortureMeOnReplay
2 minutes ago, Railing said:

when are they gonna gain a self awareness and realize not only that "what's the Netflix password" is part of their legacy, but also that their lack of growth is because

A) they have competition now
B) they cancel originals either for no reason or because there isn't immediate Stranger Things-level hype, which kinda defeats the point of streaming as a medium separate from cable TV

I think Netflix is pretty self aware. Sure they've lost goodwill, but they're doing well financially. Which is what matters for companies anyways. They're the only streaming platform that's profitable, and really their subscriber issue lies in one key area which is their release structure. Releasing an entire season of a show at once is allowing people to churn a subscription, unless they can hold their interest by constantly putting out content. If they would move to a traditional schedule, then they wouldn't cycle through subscribers so heavily and increase average subscription length. At this point they know they have to just play a waiting game and continue to put pressure on other companies to become profitable. We have seen HBO crack under this pressure and choose to take down some of its shows, which will ultimately lead to licensing agreements for that content. Bob Iger is back at Disney following other Bob's disappointing Disney+ numbers. Unless Prime can start putting out value for Amazon with its IP rights I think they'll eventually pull out too. 

TortureMeOnReplay
9 minutes ago, NATAH said:

i remember posting about this and a lot of people asked how would netflix even know?

IP addresses. 

2 minutes ago, RichAssPiss said:

Capitalism is such a ruthless system. It is not even that they are unprofitable. It's that they cannot demonstrate constant growth to investors without price gouging everyone. 

Price gouging? I think some people don't understand how expensive it is to develop original content. Everyone used to pay $100+ a month to watch tv while 1/3 of the content aired was ads. Sure it's gotten more expensive, but at the same time Netflix has its hands in several industries that are costly to compete in in the first place. They do pretty well to keep the service up and add features, requiring software developers, engineers, and servers to do so. They're paying for the content creation when they used to be able to license it and call it a day. Any other company would have made this a priority much sooner. Disney+ launched with password sharing being one of their primary concerns. Netflix has stuck pretty close to its core, which is release shows a whole season at once and cancel anytime. 

Just now, TortureMeOnReplay said:

IP addresses. 

Price gouging? I think some people don't understand how expensive it is to develop original content. Everyone used to pay $100+ a month to watch tv while 1/3 of the content aired was ads. Sure it's gotten more expensive, but at the same time Netflix has its hands in several industries that are costly to compete in in the first place. They do pretty well to keep the service up and add features, requiring software developers, engineers, and servers to do so. They're paying for the content creation when they used to be able to license it and call it a day. Any other company would have made this a priority much sooner. Disney+ launched with password sharing being one of their primary concerns. Netflix has stuck pretty close to its core, which is release shows a whole season at once and cancel anytime. 

IP addresses was my guess too but then how will they know which is the "main" IP address?

mother, what must i do?

My problem with it is you pay for how many screens you want to be able to simultaneously play.  It shouldn’t matter how people navigate that between families or friends because it’s been paid for already.  Limiting it to only certain devices or locations just further handicaps what made them big in the first place; convenience.

LaLuna

I'm still mad about how their basic plan includes ads. I only reactived my account to watch That 90s Show, guess I'll be unsubscribing again :ohwell:

12 minutes ago, Benji said:

My problem with it is you pay for how many screens you want to be able to simultaneously play.  It shouldn’t matter how people navigate that between families or friends because it’s been paid for already.  Limiting it to only certain devices or locations just further handicaps what made them big in the first place; convenience.

Exactly. Like my husband and I pay for the 2 device plan; at the moment I’m spending a ton of time at my parents place because my dad is sick. Are they going to cut me off my own account because the IP address is different? It’s already gone up in price an annoying amount, if they start giving me a hard time we’re done 

22 minutes ago, NATAH said:

IP addresses was my guess too but then how will they know which is the "main" IP address?

I think it's ip address + card holder address, most of the times it's matching

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Archived