Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Ava Max: “‘Sweet but Psycho’ kind of paved the way for pop music again”

Teletubby

Featured Posts

StrawberryBlond

I don't think it's an overblown statement, I was thinking the same thing when it became a hit. At that time, it was hard to find any happy, sugary pop anywhere. Popstars were either making serious-sounding RnB/trap influenced stuff or were going down the experimental route, with very few exceptions. And certainly none of the exceptions were making waves. Then SBP came out and it was like hearing that feel-good pop sound again after so long and it was the only one of its style out there. Think about it - Gaga had her biggest pop tune in years (Rain On Me) after this, BTS broke through into the English language market with the super-poppy Dynamite and had a string of pop success ever since, Dua Lipa truly made her mark on pop culture with her throwback pop album, Future Nostalgia (Physical certainly sounds like an Ava tyoe of song) and Meghan Trainor just made a surprise comeback last year with her sugary sweet song, Made You Look, going back to her doo-wop roots. These songs have been the most poppy songs I've heard get accepted by the mainstream of late and it was all since SBP.

The language “paved the way” feels off. I think what they mean to say was that it heralded a resurgence of dance pop…which is 100% true and why I ate up that song in 2019. This was before Future Nostaliga, before Chromatica. Ofc there was Kim Petras but she wasn’t as big. It felt like the first time in a long time a “gay” pop song was charting well. 

DrKindnessKunt1999

She’s not wrong though. Nothing sounded like Sweet, but Psycho on the radio at the time. It was pure R&B, trap, and tropical house. “Paved the way” isn’t the best way to describe what she did, but she did have a dance-pop with very minor tropical house influences become a hit. 

TEANUS
59 minutes ago, Agunimon said:

I think New Rules did that, given the music trends at the time.

I think if any Dua project catapulted pop music it was Don’t Start Now and later, Future Nostalgia as a whole

British social ladies with upturned pinkies, glasses clinking // xoxoTEANUS

Better Day

It paved like once slab and it was quickly removed due to a very short shelf life. 

Together You And I!

Archived