The setlist.. she really said I don't remember Renaissance 

Soft, soothing, and succulent

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MasterOfPuppets
11 minutes ago, Teletubby said:

she isn't the only one, Kylie Minogue performed in Dubai on NYE

I know that she is not the only one wich doesn‘t make it any less sad. I just think that countrys with opressive regimes should not be supported or get that kind of press.

Chlorine Sevigny
7 minutes ago, alsemanche said:

The setlist.. she really said I don't remember Renaissance 

I thought she would perform songs from Renaissance but the fact she hasn't... means she's saving it for us. :bradley:

alsemanche
Just now, Frank Potion said:

I thought she would perform songs from Renaissance but the fact she hasn't... means she's saving it for us. :bradley:

Just like she's saving those visuals i fear :bradley:

Soft, soothing, and succulent

ScreamQueen007
1 hour ago, Pennywise said:

She would perform in Dubai :ohwell:

Dubai, where Russian Oligarchs have been hiding. Aside from other things. 

LilyLark

I love her and generally think a lot of y'all are to harsh on her, but I hate when stars that are seemingly gay friendly perform in countries where being gay is literally illegal...especially when it's private gigs (I give a slight break to people who perform for gigs with an international audience, like the World Cub, but that's slight, or if it is part of a world wide tour). And to be fair, a lot of stars have done this like Kylie and Lana...not just her. I generally don't give a **** about private gigs for the most part, but this I think it's not cool.

And for the record, I thought it was messed up that Gaga performed in Azerbaijan back in 2014ish for the Central Asian Games (not a private gig, but still). That said, as repressive and awful as Azerbaijan is at least homosexuality has been legal there since the late 90s/early 00s (there's a ton of discrimination, but it's still legal unlike the UAE, Qatar, Brunei, etc.). I will be very disappointed if she ever does a gig in the UAE/Qatar/etc. sphere where being gay is illegal.

Edited: to be clear, I meant a private gig. I'm aware ArtRave was in Dubai. I get why my stance may seem hypocritical to some (I'm fine with public touring gigs by artists where the general public is the audience, but I think private gigs/non touring shouldn't be in countries where being gay is illegal, etc.), too.

Economy
1 hour ago, MasterOfPuppets said:

Wow, how can someone that is worshipped by so many LGBTQ+ people perform in a country like the UAE. The money must have tasted well. 

44 minutes ago, Teletubby said:

she isn't the only one, Kylie Minogue performed in Dubai on NYE

This is a stance I still don't get. Maybe in this case cuz it's a private gig

But many shows ppl keep complaining about and dragging are not specifically for the ppl guilty of human rights issues it's for everyone

Boycotting like his ends up depriving everyday people fans (some of who could be LGBT themselves) of the experience and it's not like the ones in charge are gonna change anything because some singers won't do concerts

I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be for them to choose to still go. At the very least acknowledge there's more than one way to look at this

MasterOfPuppets
30 minutes ago, Economy said:

This is a stance I still don't get. Maybe in this case cuz it's a private gig

But many shows are not specifically for the ppl guilty of human rights issues it's for everyone

Boycotting like his ends up depriving everyday people fans (some of who could be LGBT themselves) of the experience and it's not like the ones in charge are gonna change anything because some singers won't do concerts

I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be for them to choose to still go. At the very least acknowledge there's more than one way to look at this

I‘m not saying her gig is, but often this kind of events are initiated or bought by people of, or close to the regimes. They do it to polish up the reputation of these countries, attract Investors, tourists etc. like they tried to do with the world cup in Quatar. Of course the fans there, LGBT of not should have the chance to go. Myissue is the fake positive Image the initiators are trying to achieve with this kind of events.

Edonis
20 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

I love her and generally think a lot of y'all are to harsh on her, but I hate when stars that are seemingly gay friendly perform in countries where being gay is literally illegal...especially when it's private gigs (I give a slight break to people who perform for gigs with an international audience, like the World Cub, but that's slight, or if it is part of a world wide tour). And to be fair, a lot of stars have done this like Kylie and Lana...not just her. I generally don't give a **** about private gigs for the most part, but this I think it's not cool.

And for the record, I thought it was messed up that Gaga performed in Azerbaijan back in 2014ish for the Central Asian Games (not a private gig, but still). That said, as repressive and awful as Azerbaijan is at least homosexuality has been legal there since the late 90s/early 00s (there's a ton of discrimination, but it's still legal unlike the UAE, Qatar, Brunei, etc.). I will be very disappointed if she ever does a gig in the UAE/Qatar/etc. sphere where being gay is illegal.

Gaga's performed in Dubai before...most major artists have, including other LGBT+ artists. I'm not going to dive deep into that issue since I have my own personal opinions about the UAE (and how a lot of foreign countries in the west enable the Gulf Arab states as whole) but just wanted to point this out. For a lot of touring companies, they view Dubai as profitable.

RenegAde

I live in a homophobic country and its weird and sad that according to some of you we shouldn't be able to enjoy things like this because????. Look,  Not all of us are lucky to live in utopias .

ALittleMonsta
6 minutes ago, RenegAde said:

I live in a homophobic country and its weird and sad that according to some of you we shouldn't be able to enjoy things like this because????. Look,  Not all of us are lucky to live in utopias .

I agree with your POV. I think the fans in these type of countries still deserve a chance to see their role models. I think you can still perform in a homophobic country without necessairly supporting the country's homophobia, but for the fans. Yes,  it does somewhat still make the country profit, but i'd rather the closeted fans get a taste of superstars like Bey or Gaga

Economy
24 minutes ago, MasterOfPuppets said:

I‘m not saying her gig is, but often this kind of events are initiated or bought by people of, or close to the regimes. They do it to polish up the reputation of these countries, attract Investors, tourists etc. like they tried to do with the world cup in Quatar. Of course the fans there, LGBT of not should have the chance to go. Myissue is the fake positive Image the initiators are trying to achieve with this kind of events.

If and when it's something very closely associated with those abusing power in the Nation... Then I do understand the stance

But the internet seems to be anti celebs going there at all period. Personally I do not agree with that

It kind of reminds me of those teachers in school that used to punish an entire classroom when 3 or 4 students were a problem of some sort. 

It's not fair to punish ordinary ppl and fans to merely make a symbolic gesture that those in power don't care about anyway

At the very very least I think there's enough angles at play for those that are against going to at least acknowledge there's valid arguments for not boycotting as well and that their view isn't the only valid one. So to drag so hard on the internet and judge I find makes one a little too self righteous imo

Like I can respect celebs that make the choice to never go to any kind of event even if it's for the general population and not the elites specifically. But I think those against should also respect those who choose to still go enough to not drag and judge so hard. Cuz there's valid viewpoints for it also

RenegAde
10 minutes ago, ALittleMonsta said:

I agree with your POV. I think the fans in these type of countries still deserve a chance to see their role models. I think you can still perform in a homophobic country without necessairly supporting the country's homophobia, but for the fans. Yes,  it does somewhat still make the country profit, but i'd rather the closeted fans get a taste of superstars like Bey or Gaga

Even though i know it will probably never happen, i always wish gaga would perform here or somewhere close atleast and I'd hate for her to be judged for it the way people are trying to judge beyonce 

ALittleMonsta
1 minute ago, RenegAde said:

Even though i know it will probably never happen, i always wish gaga would perform here or somewhere close atleast and I'd hate for her to be judged for it the way people are trying to judge beyonce 

I can relate to that feeling, I wish Gaga could come to Israel again without too much judgement. Yes, Israel is in a bad situation right now, but I just want a taste of a live performance of hers. She did perform here before, and got so so much hate for it, imagine how much hate she will get now.

Archived