💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Adam Lambert on Theo James: "another straight man playing a gay icon"

COOOK

Featured Posts

Same, she was the reason I watched! Although by end of Season 2 I was kinda glad she is gone lol. Was getting a bit long tedious imo.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Controversiaga
1 hour ago, Monstermilo said:

straight people have never been oppressed, thats the difference

Babe we’re on the same side, I think you misunderstood me 

Pronounced like “Balenciaga” . Emphasis on the “Ga”

MelbHawker

I don’t have an issue with this particular casting choice - Theo looks the part and has the talent/ability to do George Michael justice. I’d watch it.

In saying this, I do wish more LGBT actors were cast in LGBT roles though. It’s getting better (albeit slowly), but the industry still has a long way to go in this respect.

RichAssPiss
3 hours ago, Night Vision said:

That's not really true though. There are countless examples of gay actors playing straight roles in movies and television. Neil Patrick Harris playing the biggest womaniser on television for a decade for example, Jim Parsons played a straight man in The Big Bang Theory for the same amount of time, Matt Bomer plays straight roles all the time, most of the characters Luke Evans plays are straight, the list goes on. The same can also be said for lesbian actors such as Sarah Paulson, Jane Lynch, Kristen Stewart, Niecy Nash, and Cynthia Nixon.

What queer actors were cast in the lead role of a major studio movie opening wide in thousands of theaters? You're describing TV roles and character actors only. This is the point. It's a rare chance for a gay actor to be the marquee lead in a major release that is not a niche gay movie. 

RichAssPiss
1 hour ago, Pineapple said:

The gatekeeping some areas of the LGBT community have adopted sorta disappoints me. It seems hypocritical. 

The way I understand it, we should let good actors play good characters, it's acting for a reason. There's no rules on embodying characters that aren't you as a person. It actually encourages people to be more empathetic to others if anything. 

I think it's good to have straight men play gay roles since it introduces them and the public to the realities of being gay. And the same goes for gay men taking on straight roles btw, it's just business. 

This supposes all casting is fair and queer actors are not being passed over and told they can't play straight. Queer actors are dscriminated against for straight roles. Then when queer roles come up they cast straight people and fall over themselves celebrating their "brave" performance. That's the problem. Gay people don't win Oscars for playing gay. Nor trans for playing trans. But straight cis people have.

Stef666

I thought this was Adam Lambert.

640px-AdamLevine2011.jpg

IM GOING TO TAKE A S**T ON MY LAPTOP AND THROW IT LIKE A FRISBY YOU F***ING B**CH

Natalia Kills
7 minutes ago, RichAssPiss said:

This supposes all casting is fair and queer actors are not being passed over and told they can't play straight. Queer actors are dscriminated against for straight roles. Then when queer roles come up they cast straight people and fall over themselves celebrating their "brave" performance. That's the problem. Gay people don't win Oscars for playing gay. Nor trans for playing trans. But straight cis people have.

I just see it as a slippery slope to tokenizing gay actors.

Plus, it runs the risk of making it harder for gay actors to take on straight roles, if gay roles are exclusive to gay actors.

I think we just need to be patient, progress is already happening at a very fast pace. If you try force it, it'll go the wrong way and create divisions.

Chromatography

are biopics not mainly based on how someone looks? like seriously

RichAssPiss
50 minutes ago, Pineapple said:

I just see it as a slippery slope to tokenizing gay actors.

Plus, it runs the risk of making it harder for gay actors to take on straight roles, if gay roles are exclusive to gay actors.

I think we just need to be patient, progress is already happening at a very fast pace. If you try force it, it'll go the wrong way and create divisions.

"Slippery slope" is a logical fallacy. Opposing one thing based on the idea that it leads to something else is predicated on an unprovem and false presumption "If this, then that." It's literally been used against queer people for decades. "If gay marriage, then next will be legal bestiality and pedophilia." One thing does not innately mean anything after it must occur.

Gay actors are rarely cast in major leading roles. When we have a major leading role that ia a gay character, privileging gay performers is a way to get gay actors jobs and make new gay stars. There is no "reverse" problem of straight actors needing to play straight. Because there is no lack of straight roles in major films. Queer people are a protected minority whereas straight people are not. This is the same rhetoric falsely used to suggest there should be a "straight pride." These things are not equal and cannot be equated.

And as for not pushing things too much, the modern gay rights movement is founded on an illegal anti-police riot that was considered "too much" even by establishment gays. But, you knpw, now Stonewall is a national monument, so...I say push. 

Opinions are debatable, but I hope the actor himself won’t personally be attacked on twitter or sth cuz the guy is just doing his job. He is not responsible any of the discrimination in the industry. 

RahrahWitch

He's got a point. Gay actors are still to this day are mistreated by the film industry because they're not masc enough (really it's just homophobia) but when it comes to a gay role, they still don't get a seat at the table.

Night Vision
11 hours ago, RichAssPiss said:

What queer actors were cast in the lead role of a major studio movie opening wide in thousands of theaters? You're describing TV roles and character actors only. This is the point. It's a rare chance for a gay actor to be the marquee lead in a major release that is not a niche gay movie. 

The post I was replying to didn't specify anything about a "lead role in a major studio movie", they literally said "they don't cast openly gay actors in anything", which is untrue.

Archived