Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

Variety: Lady Gaga's 'Bloody Mary' among Viral Revivals of 2022

LordByron28

Featured Posts

LordByron28

Lady Gaga – “Bloody Mary” (2011)

100M+ Spotify stream

Lady Gaga’s “Bloody Mary” wasn’t featured in Netflix’s “Wednesday,” but the hit series still managed to indirectly resurrect the 2011 banger. In the show, Jenny Ortega gets her paws up while dancing to the Cramps’ “Goo Goo Muck.” Fans re-synced the routine to “Bloody Mary” on TikTok and a viral sensation was born. The song has now passed 100 million Spotify streams and is charting around the globe. With Mother Monster giving the trend her seal of approval on social media, expect to see the “Born This Way” anthem continue to reach new heights in the weeks ahead.

https://variety.com/2022/music/news/viral-revivals-aerosmith-lady-gagas-bloody-mary-sia-unstoppable-1235462082/

Here are some other excerpts from other viral hits this year that may give an indication of where Bloody Mary is headed:

Ghost – “Mary on a Cross” (2019)

#90 Billboard Hot 100, 220M+ Spotify streams

With a song that was originally released as a B-side in 2019, Swedish rockers Ghost found themselves with an unexpected hit when a “Stranger Things” fan spliced together footage of his favorite characters and set it to “Mary on a Cross.” The song went nuclear on TikTok, and soon made its way across the full music ecosystem, becoming Ghost’s first entry on the Billboard Hot 100 and attaining gold certification. The band is still riding the wave, recently dropping a brand new video set in 1969.

---‐-----------------

Miguel – “Sure Thing” (2011)

535M+ Spotify streams

One of the positive consequences of viral revivals is seeing songs that didn’t get their due the first time around finally being appreciated. That’s certainly true of Miguel’s swoonworthy “Sure Thing,” which has become something of an R&B radio staple in the decade since it was first released. “Sure Thing” first resurfaced on YouTube via a popular “slowed + reverb” remix in 2019 and riffs on the downtempo makeover started popping up on TikTok in 2020. Momentum has only grown since then and “Sure Thing” is now climbing Spotify’s Global 200 and YouTube’s Top U.S. Songs chart. Is it time for an official re-release?

----------------------------------

Sia – “Unstoppable” (2016)

#28 Billboard Hot 100, 670M+ Spotify streams

Sia’s 2016 ballad — a promotional single from “This Is Acting” — lived up to its title when it experienced a viral resurgence in 2022. “Unstoppable” benefitted from a good, old-fashioned sync when it was used in a Samsung commercial and then enjoyed additional virality when it was embraced as a protest song against the Russian invasion of the Ukraine. “Unstoppable” debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 six years after it was released, eventually climbing all the way to No. 28 and being certified platinum.

---------------------------

The Weeknd – “Die For You” (2016)

#12 Billboard Hot 100, 1B+ Spotify streams

“Die For You” was a minor hit by the Weeknd’s standards when it was rolled out as the fifth and final single from “Starboy” in 2017, but its second act has been considerably bigger. The R&B ballad was discovered by TikTok in late 2021 and has become the go-to soundtrack for romantic “creates.” The Weeknd was paying attention and stepped out of his current album cycle to film a new video and re-service the song to radio. And it paid off. “Die For You” bested its original chart peak when it climbed to No. 12 on the Billboard Hot 100 earlier this year and recently passed one billion Spotify streams.

-------------------------------

Kate Bush – “Running up That Hill” (1985)

#3 Billboard Hot 100, 820M+ Spotify streams

The highest profile viral revival of 2022 was undoubtedly Kate Bush’s “Running up That Hill.” Resurrected by a key sync in season four of “Stranger Things,” the 1985 hit single experienced overnight virality on social media and started racking up massive streaming numbers. In a rare move for a so-called “catalog song,” Warner Records reserviced the synth-pop anthem to radio and it rocketed to No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100. “Running up That Hill” went on top the charts in eight countries including Australia and the U.K.

Mother of Puppies

And then we'll all dance dance dance with our hands hands hands

Bloody Mary Becky GIF by Roseanne

Call me LADY MOP & I'll mop the floor with you 🧹

AURAOFSHEISSE

I still can’t believe the Renaissance of RUTH is real, what a fever dream, Kate deserves all of it :kara:

“Hands on your knees, I’m Angelina Jolie”

Battle 4 Ur Life

I would say it was 2022’s peak but then I remembered the good sis Chromatica Ball Stadium Tour (live from Youtube and Twitter for me, unfortunately. still a moment.)

"We own the Downtown, hear our sound."

Chromatislaps

The potential if Wednesday was released around Halloween, and then in cojunction with Bloody Mary :giveup:

Guillaume Hamon
5 minutes ago, Chromatislaps said:

The potential if Wednesday was released around Halloween, and then in cojunction with Bloody Mary :giveup:

Do you think it could come back each Halloween like Mimi's Christmas anthem does?

5 minutes ago, Chromatislaps said:

I feel like Bloody Mary will be huge for halloween next year :giveup:

𝕯𝕵, 𝖋𝖗𝖊𝖊 𝖒𝖞 𝖒𝖎𝖓𝖉

Chromatislaps
13 hours ago, Guillaume Hamon said:

Do you think it could come back each Halloween like Mimi's Christmas anthem does?

Maybe not as big, but I can see it become a staple song like AIWFC for Xmas or Thriller for Halloween

On 12/16/2022 at 3:43 AM, Bowman said:

I feel like Bloody Mary will be huge for halloween next year :giveup:

Especially because everyone will dress up like Wednesday 

Archived