Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Gagaverse to shut down in a few days, prepare accordingly

ChicaSkas

Featured Posts

So weird. I was on most of these. Jesus so weird. So many dumb **** bans and so few posts for me. Good times. I will say though, the kindness that exists now wasn’t a thing back then. Everyone grew up. I’ve always been a bad scant poster but I’ve read for years. You all grew as people, became softer and gots lives. I can’t fathom that I’m still here and never had a private message beyond, ok mod, do you. 😂🤣😂 **** I found out Bowie died on here. Little aging monsters renovating closets instead of jumping out of them over on breathheavy.com or pawsdown. 

I love this place. It’s a comfort spot now, Pop in and pop out. 

Edited by IHE
Typo
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
ChicaSkas

Bump because you now have about 3 to 5 days to get anything you need out. 

Sara is extending the servers' life for another few days, so if there is anything you need, please get it now!

many thanks

www.gagaverse.com/archives

www.gagaverse.com/ggd

-- Chica

Do YOU own the 4' by 6' Perfect Illusion promo Poster? Will pay you for it. Pic: http://i.imgur.com/UWuzumk

JazzGa

I'm gonna miss the Gagaverse Emojis archive the most! But they have been un-useable on GGD for a while now because now GGD only embeds images from https addresses :crossed: I guess now is the perfect time for a re-upload somewhere else!

I also might try to document anything good in the Outtakes thread. That was always a treasure trove back in the day, with little sprinkles and treats from @Dima now and then, even though the Outtakes thread is not active at all anymore 

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with Brian🎺 and Steve🎷
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, ChicaSkas said:

Bump because you now have about 3 to 5 days to get anything you need out. 

Sara is extending the servers' life for another few days, so if there is anything you need, please get it now!

many thanks

www.gagaverse.com/archives

www.gagaverse.com/ggd

-- Chica

I,I captain

The only easy day was yesterday.

RodeckDanny

omg operation gaga! that was my first gaga forum ever like 10 years ago

Listen to my debut pop single 'Want You Bad'! (link on Insta)
  • Love 1

ChicaSkas
On 1/20/2023 at 4:16 PM, Noahboy said:

This?

It's about $80 a month I believe, @Sara would know for certain 

Do YOU own the 4' by 6' Perfect Illusion promo Poster? Will pay you for it. Pic: http://i.imgur.com/UWuzumk

ChicaSkas
On 1/20/2023 at 4:01 AM, IHE said:

So weird. I was on most of these. Jesus so weird. So many dumb **** bans and so few posts for me. Good times. I will say though, the kindness that exists now wasn’t a thing back then. Everyone grew up. I’ve always been a bad scant poster but I’ve read for years. You all grew as people, became softer and gots lives. I can’t fathom that I’m still here and never had a private message beyond, ok mod, do you. 😂🤣😂 **** I found out Bowie died on here. Little aging monsters renovating closets instead of jumping out of them over on breathheavy.com or pawsdown. 

I love this place. It’s a comfort spot now, Pop in and pop out. 

This is so good to know, and yes, so many of us did

37 minutes ago, ChicaSkas said:

It's about $80 a month I believe, @Sara would know for certain 

Thats not an issue. Who can take over where @Sara needs a rest? 

The Gagaverse archives are just static HTML and images. Anyone with a server that can host HTTP content (a server running something like Apache or NGINX) could host the content. It's about 2 Terrabytes in size. So it could probably be done for like $30 a month (or less) on some minimal cloud server. Chica or I could provide them the content. I do worry about the long-term viability of the content as newer browsers have stopped supporting some of the ancient CSS and Javascript from around 2010, but so far it's still working pretty well on Chrome.

The other half of Gagaverse is the crawling engine that actually crawls a website and makes a static archive. That part is enormous and terribly complicated. Also it has to scrub any sensitive content from the pages like IP's and email addresses, and it can't crawl modland or sensitive topics, so it has to be really smart about what it saves. I have like 5 pages of rules for what NOT to save. You have to carefully read through all the page dump content to look for PII (Personally Identifiable Information) and make sure that isn't saved. It's getting harder and harder to make a decent crawling engine that can produce static pages out of dynamic content. That's why a lot of wayback archives (archive.org) don't look quite right. Archiving websites is bad just rocket science these days :D   If anyone knows of good software that can archive a site in a static and viewable form, let me know. <3

:sara:

Edited by Sara
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Sara said:

The Gagaverse archives are just static HTML and images. Anyone with a server that can host HTTP content (a server running something like Apache or NGINX) could host the content. It's about 2 Terrabytes in size. So it could probably be done for like $30 a month (or less) on some minimal cloud server. Chica or I could provide them the content. I do worry about the long-term viability of the content as newer browsers have stopped supporting some of the ancient CSS and Javascript from around 2010, but so far it's still working pretty well on Chrome.

The other half of Gagaverse is the crawling engine that actually crawls a website and makes a static archive. That part is enormous and terribly complicated. Also it has to scrub any sensitive content from the pages like IP's and email addresses, and it can't crawl modland or sensitive topics, so it has to be really smart about what it saves. I have like 5 pages of rules for what NOT to save. You have to carefully read through all the page dump content to look for PII (Personally Identifiable Information) and make sure that isn't saved. It's getting harder and harder to make a decent crawling engine that can produce static pages out of dynamic content. That's why a lot of way back archives (archive.org) don't look quite right. Archiving websites is bad just rocket science these days :D   If anyone knows of good software that can archive a site in a static and viewable form, let me know. <3

:sara:

@Sara I'll start research on that is need for the above to preserve what is already archived. If you find any servers or clouds for the current archives, email me. @ChicaSkas

As for the continuing of archiving, is anyone else able?

ChicaSkas
11 hours ago, Noahboy said:

@Sara I'll start research on that is need for the above to preserve what is already archived. If you find any servers or clouds for the current archives, email me. @ChicaSkas

As for the continuing of archiving, is anyone else able?

Believe me, I've gently pestered Sara into oblivion to teach me how to run the crawler, and unfortunately,  it is so complex I would need at least 10 years experience coding/studying computer science to even know my way around it... and this bothers me no end, as I have the motivation and desire to do it but very little practical hands-on knowledge on how to make it happen. 

The beauty of Sara's Gagaverse crawler is that it was so perfectly taylor-made to GagaDaily. And Sara's finished product made it look so damn easy. Gagaverse loads almost like a living copy of this entire site. Across the decades. 

This is a truly mindblowing feat of coding, love, and time.

Anyone else I try to shop this idea to, like a data crawling company for example, would have to have mod permissions to see the entire site (sara has that, we wouldn't trust another,  likely ), would have to be trustworthy enough to not archive PII (sara is) , and on top of that , would charge us exorbitantly (Sara doesn't.)

The fact Gagaverse exists at all is a small miracle. 

As far as the future of archiving what exists now, I dont have an answer,  my coding/computer science knowledge is absolutely not enough in this instance to make my desires a reality. We will have to cross that bridge when we come to it. 

Perhaps a copy of the crawler can be made and I can have it studied to implement it in the future by another or eventually by myself but I need to hammer out those details with @Sara directly.

In the future we may be forced to look to the datahoarder subreddits or hire coders who can grasp the complexities. 

Sara, you have my everlasting thanks. It wont be easy going forward to achieve all that you have done. But you have inspired me beyond words to try :hug:

• ChicaSkas changed the title to Gagaverse to shut down in a few days, prepare accordingly
ChicaSkas

@danbekim Sara has so kindly agreed to keep it up for a few more days so we can double check we have everything :)

• YAAAS 1