It’s true, people died

Screenshot-190.png

nobody was killed at itunes fest

willam-1000x500.jpg

mother, what must i do?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It actually felt like this whole project/concept was bigger than her at a moment when she was very vulnerable. And it just ate her. Too many promises, yet not enough fulfilled. She wanted too much. She tried too hard and I think it repulsed a lot of people. She was not fun weird anymore, she turned sad weird.  

Similar to Traumatica but 10 times worse. :air: It's my third favourite album from Gaga and it's sad to see how it went. :messga: Please don't create threads like this, don't rip off the band-aid :air:

Love it when you call me legs, in the morning buy me eggs 🥚

The original ARTPOP was going to be about disney princess and celebrity death inspired. Something along the lines of Princess Die, I wanna be with you etc. It was all fun and games until that tragic skype ball happened :cryga: Everything went downhill after that. Label took control and prevented her to release Aura as lead, Applause took over and by Swinefest we had already heard more then half the album. Poor management and label sabotage was a main reason for the downfall but then again, ARTPOP walked so Chromatica could run and writing this while listening to Fun Tonight is bringing tears to my eyes. She never was able to explain clearly what ARTPOP was. She had so many ideas and she wasn't able to carry that out cuz of label and management drama. I still believe she released ARTPOP as per demand of the label and wanted ARTPOP act 2 to be the original ARTPOP, the way she intended but after ARTPOP's reception, the label prevented it. I will forever hold ARTPOP close to my heart, the way her smile faded away and tears took over her face, I cannot stand the pain she endured and totally understand why it's hard for her to revisit the era. I'll wait my whole life for her to one day do a tell all about the ARTPOP era and share what she had in her mind and willingly release some songs of Act 2. If Brooklyn Nights, Tea intro, Tinnitus instrumental, Princess Die, I WBWU and Hallelujah are any indication, ARTPOP is up there with Born This Way and Chromatica. 

monstertoronto

I remember I actually joined GGD I think at the start of ARTPOP because i had been just a lurker before but I was super excited about a new era and wanted to participate. It ended up being so negative!  I felt like I was always defending her and everyone was super upset and agitated. The media fully turned on her too and I every article from even legit sources like entertainment weekly was just piling on hating Gaga for clicks. It became so popular to trash gaga. I was constantly writing comments to correct false rumours that were being spread (like Gaga losing her label $40 million or something, I can’t remember). I love ARTPOP. I loved applause right from the start and think it’s one of her best songs still. The rivalry with Katy was at its peak too and Roar fully kicked Applause’s ass in terms of chart position, but Applause still charted well. People were so focused on only judging it based on comparisons to Roar there was a narrative that it was a flop even though by all normal metrics it was actually a strong hit. I was so sad that one of her strongest albums was totally being trashed and overlooked. The ARTPOP ball was a smaller tour than her previous but it actuall my was one of my fave tours ever. The clear bridges running over the audience and the whimsical costumes like octopus and rave girl, made it one of her most fun and loose shows ever.  I absolutely loved that tour. On the whole, it was a sad time for fans. I almost left GGD. 

44 minutes ago, Sherry said:

The original ARTPOP was going to be about disney princess and celebrity death inspired. Something along the lines of Princess Die, I wanna be with you etc. It was all fun and games until that tragic skype ball happened :cryga: Everything went downhill after that. Label took control and prevented her to release Aura as lead, Applause took over and by Swinefest we had already heard more then half the album. Poor management and label sabotage was a main reason for the downfall but then again, ARTPOP walked so Chromatica could run and writing this while listening to Fun Tonight is bringing tears to my eyes. She never was able to explain clearly what ARTPOP was. She had so many ideas and she wasn't able to carry that out cuz of label and management drama. I still believe she released ARTPOP as per demand of the label and wanted ARTPOP act 2 to be the original ARTPOP, the way she intended but after ARTPOP's reception, the label prevented it. I will forever hold ARTPOP close to my heart, the way her smile faded away and tears took over her face, I cannot stand the pain she endured and totally understand why it's hard for her to revisit the era. I'll wait my whole life for her to one day do a tell all about the ARTPOP era and share what she had in her mind and willingly release some songs of Act 2. If Brooklyn Nights, Tea intro, Tinnitus instrumental, Princess Die, I WBWU and Hallelujah are any indication, ARTPOP is up there with Born This Way and Chromatica. 

I’m glad you brought up Chromatica in here because I’ve always felt like Chromatica sounds like what Gaga described ARTPOP as.  She said ARTPOP was her pain exploding in electronic music and to me, that’s what Chromatica is.  I like to think that Chromatica might’ve given her some closure.

15 minutes ago, Benji said:

I’m glad you brought up Chromatica in here because I’ve always felt like Chromatica sounds like what Gaga described ARTPOP as.  She said ARTPOP was her pain exploding in electronic music and to me, that’s what Chromatica is.  I like to think that Chromatica might’ve given her some closure.

Gaga said during an ARTPOP interview that she wanted the beats of ARTPOP to slam harder than any drug she's ever taken. And even though they do, Chromatica had a similar description. With ARTPOP she wasn't able to deal with the criticism and with Chromatica, she knew exactly how to do so. She learned how to deal with it and grow with it. Rain on me's lyrics proves this, "I'd rather be dry but atleast I'm alive, Rain on me."

thefamebitch

The album and most things surrounding that release/era were genuinely unenjoyable for me. Especially looking back. However, the saving grace for that era was the artRave.

CAPRISONGS

I was 8 when ARTPOP came out so I dont remember everything but I remember watching loads of Clevver News, Radio ARTPOP & this guy called nick (I think that was his name) around 2012/2013 who all did gaga content at the time but I remember it being intense. I always was confused why their was only one video (until G.U.Y) but at the time I had no idea what was going on in her personal life and with Troy as I was a child so I just thought she was acting "gaga" :/

The best era to be a fan, personally. 

Won the iTunes festival competition and was flown to London to see Swinefest by Gaga. Traveled to the US/All over Australia to see 7 shows and even had Gaga read my letter/go backstage at artRAVE

The glory days :unicorn:

Butters Stotch

It was so f*cking beautifully messy :fatcat: I loved seeing her being so rebellious, but also hated seeing how people trashed her for saying the forbiden word for popstars: art.

FIND YOUR FREEDOM IN THE MUSIC

2School4Cool

I found the era so exciting because it felt like there was always something happening. It was my first *new* Gaga album (I became a fan during BTW), so I was just so excited to finally go through a full album campaign with her. Having 8 songs premiered at the iTunes festival, numerous demos and snippets posted by Gaga herself prior to the album release, there was always something happening.

While a lot of people started to turn their back on her I remember a general sense of “I’m gonna stick by her through it all,” which was easy because I did enjoy the music, visuals, etc. and was obsessed with the creativity of ARTPOP. But even then fans seemed to have a collective sense that this album would be a cult classic, fan favorite album full of hidden gems. I have to say I never expected the full resurgence the album has had and it makes me so happy to see people 9 years later finally appreciating it for all it had to offer. 

See The Best In Everyone

This thread reminded me of how much promo she did then. 

I remember her being very sad in colored clown makeup walking next to djws when the record leaked. 

I remember the Artrave performance where she picked the cup off the statue then got submerged in a sea of audience and the dancers had to come rescue her and then she stood onstage hyperventilating a bit.

The abromivich nudes were a little weird but,  why not.

The snl performance of DWUW felt off. I've never liked that song or the way R K treated her in it. Then she said something about people blaming her for it. The leaked tmz of the mv was awful, I'm glad someone stopped it.

The all white interview where she took 30 seconds to answer every question was so slow/sleepy ... I felt bad for her and wished she could sleep for 14 hours at least.

She did a little video at the Met during the gala that was cute. (right era?)

I thought the seashell bikini took so much courage to wear onstage and she looked awesome in it.

I thought the attack on the suits at the end of the Venus video might have been bad for her career, then I think I heard that she funded the video herself. This must have been a reflection of difficulties that I knew nothing about.

I end up rewatching/referencing the era from youtube instead of from my own video/pictures from the tour show.

The vomit and turning on the spit was very memorable from the festival. The audience was confused about the swine nose messaging, I think, or at least I was.

The greatest moments for me are the video of the iTunes Festival (Swinefest), and attending artRAVE.   Some of the songs are among her best ever.  Venus, ARTPOP, Gypsy, and Applause are my favorites.  Some of her performances of Gypsy in various settings are so moving.  I find nothing to complain about for the entire era.

I live outside the space time continuum.

Archived