Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

DJWS teases something 'special' for ARTPOP's anniversary

Auralegends

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, elijahfan said:

I think this is another example of fans projecting their fantasies on something they don't know... She literally spent the era wielding knives, dressing up as gimps, going around London clubs completely naked, or getting vomited on, so I don't know what is this nice and proper dress up you're talking about, but you clearly have distorted memories of what ARTPOP was.

I don't think you understand my point. Let me phrase it a different way...

Personally I'm not an ARTPOP stan. In fact its actually one of my least favourite Gaga albums. The reason is I see the conflict between what she wanted (a rebellious artistic statement of a project - the knife wielding, gimp and vomit you refer to) vs what the label wanted (massive pop songs they could make money from and return her to the top of music scene). Factually we know this to be true.

What we ended up with was a mixture of the two and it didn't work out because everything was a compromise. 

Because of that, the songs that ended up on the final record were probably the more 'radio friendly' ones rather than the weird experimental songs. There is no 'fantasy' involved here as there's been more spoken about ARTPOP by Gaga and producers than any other Gaga album. For example, why did she tease TEA so heavily on twitter in the months before but not even put it on the album in the end? Label conflict got so huge in the end she leant in more to what they wanted and sacrificed her original vision. Some fans love ARTPOP and want to hear more, but I think the majority are fans who are fans of Gaga THE ARTIST and want to see what the artist's intention was all along. Whether it's good or not doesn't matter.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, ImMatt said:

Personally I'm not an ARTPOP stan. In fact its actually one of my least favourite Gaga albums. The reason is I see the conflict between what she wanted (a rebellious artistic statement of a project - the knife wielding, gimp and vomit you refer to) vs what the label wanted (massive pop songs they could make money from and return her to the top of music scene). Factually we know this to be true.

What we ended up with was a mixture of the two and it didn't work out because everything was a compromise. 

Because of that, the songs that ended up on the final record were probably the more 'radio friendly' ones rather than the weird experimental songs. There is no 'fantasy' involved here as there's been more spoken about ARTPOP by Gaga and producers than any other Gaga album. For example, why did she tease TEA so heavily on twitter in the months before but not even put it on the album in the end? Label conflict got so huge in the end she leant in more to what they wanted and sacrificed her original vision. Some fans love ARTPOP and want to hear more, but I think the majority are fans who are fans of Gaga THE ARTIST and want to see what the artist's intention was all along. Whether it's good or not doesn't matter.

Spot on 

elijahfan
3 hours ago, ImMatt said:

I'm sorry but I have to somehow disagree again: you can't come here and pretend that Aura, Jewels'n'Drugs, Swine or Dope weren't massive risks to take for a pop artist and that ARTPOP is mostly made of radio friendly songs... You don't know how experimental or good the unreleased songs are. Making a record is always a compromise between artist and label, you can't use that conflict as the reason for these songs being axed because there can be 100 reasons why a song wouldn't make it on a final tracklist.

If the era proved anything, it's that in spite of the pushback, Gaga still managed to do what she wanted to an extent. I doubt you'd call Brooklyn Nights, Nothing On or Hallelujah experimental masterpieces that absolutely needed to see the light of day, just saying. If anything, Nothing On is the most radio friendly of the bunch we've heard, and it stayed on the cutting room floor.

16 minutes ago, elijahfan said:

I'm sorry but I have to somehow disagree again: you can't come here and pretend that Aura, Jewels'n'Drugs, Swine or Dope weren't massive risks to take for a pop artist and that ARTPOP is mostly made of radio friendly songs... You don't know how experimental or good the unreleased songs are. Making a record is always a compromise between artist and label, you can't use that conflict as the reason for these songs being axed because there can be 100 reasons why a song wouldn't make it on a final tracklist.

If the era proved anything, it's that in spite of the pushback, Gaga still managed to do what she wanted to an extent. I doubt you'd call Brooklyn Nights, Nothing On or Hallelujah experimental masterpieces that absolutely needed to see the light of day, just saying.

I personally think both you and @ImMatt are correct.

My issue is those experimental tracks sound very held back.  Aura and Swine could’ve gone so, so much harder but were handicapped by making the album pop and wanting it to be under an hour. Both of those songs could easily hit 5 minutes with bigger breakdowns and harder hitting production but the finals just sit there in an awkward purgatory.  The idea is there but they just don’t hit what they should.  I’d say Swine is the biggest blunder, it sounds like it’s missing half of its stems.

What Gaga was doing to promote the album was far more interesting than what the music ended up being.

40 minutes ago, Benji said:

I personally think both you and @ImMatt are correct.

My issue is those experimental tracks sound very held back.  Aura and Swine could’ve gone so, so much harder but were handicapped by making the album pop and wanting it to be under an hour. Both of those songs could easily hit 5 minutes with bigger breakdowns and harder hitting production but the finals just sit there in an awkward purgatory.  The idea is there but they just don’t hit what they should.  I’d say Swine is the biggest blunder, it sounds like it’s missing half of its stems.

What Gaga was doing to promote the album was far more interesting than what the music ended up being.

It’s such a shame everything was held back because of the label and money. It’s ironic that she sings about ‘music not the bling’. When the label just wanted radio friendly pop songs. 

I remember thinking when she performed at iTunes festival those versions were so much better than the ones on the album, especially Aura because she didn’t hold back, unfortunately all the album versions was so much weaker.

The MANiCURE demo I thought was really good too.

𝕯𝕵, 𝖋𝖗𝖊𝖊 𝖒𝖞 𝖒𝖎𝖓𝖉

Manicure (demo) was sooo good at iTunes … then she added in “can you feel it, can you feel it “ part in album instead of heeeeealll mee cos I’m addicted to love … I’ll never understand why .. 

LandonM170
On 11/11/2022 at 1:01 PM, rinasawachanta said:

It is very sad how he held on to such a mediocre product.... Day after day reminiscing about something that never worked but allows him to extract revenue from those heavy fans who continue to live in the past and what "could have been."

Don't act like you have never "what if-ed" in your life 

Big Boi Smh GIF by Outkast

BloodyM
On 11/13/2022 at 12:52 PM, Bowman said:

It’s such a shame everything was held back because of the label and money. It’s ironic that she sings about ‘music not the bling’. When the label just wanted radio friendly pop songs. 

I remember thinking when she performed at iTunes festival those versions were so much better than the ones on the album, especially Aura because she didn’t hold back, unfortunately all the album versions was so much weaker.

The MANiCURE demo I thought was really good too.

TBH I always feel like her label holds her back and wants her to add pop to everything she does. We can say the same for Joanne, it could have been more band based with rock and country influences. Same with Chromatica, could have been more experimental pop. 

Funnily, ASIB, is a record that isn't pop-ified because of her label and look how well it did!

Anyways, I really love ARTPOP, I think ARTPOP(the song), is one of Gaga's best sounds to date. We knew that this version was the pop sound part of ARTPOP. She had mentioned the extermintal version of it that was meant to come out later but never did, which is a shame. 

BloodyM
On 11/12/2022 at 12:56 PM, elijahfan said:

Thanks for confirming my point: the fact they most likely picked the 15 best songs of the bunch. As much as I enjoy Brooklyn Nights, I wouldn't sacrifice any song of the released album for it.

People seem convinced she's been keeping masterpieces away from us, and the truth is: for a fan, there's no better song than the one they haven't heard. I'm afraid y'all might be in for a bit of a disappointment when you finally end up hearing those.

I've been fantasizing about these songs like any other fan, but I'm also trying to stay realistic about the reasons why they haven't made the cut in the first place.

Excuse me but I think the majority of fans and non fans love Brooklyn Nights, and yes it's far better than Jewels and Drugs and Swine. Any of those songs can easily be replaced. 

Anderson123
21 minutes ago, BloodyM said:

Excuse me but I think the majority of fans and non fans love Brooklyn Nights, and yes it's far better than Jewels and Drugs and Swine. Any of those songs can easily be replaced. 

Swine is so underrated. It's actually one of my favorites and a highlight of the album.

Can she not just make an ARTPOP deluxe edition for Apple music and Spotify with Brooklyn nights ,I wanna be with you, partynauceous etc  Spotify and like 12 extra songs that never made the cut for us?   .. 

Donatellah
14 minutes ago, jackoajl said:

in before we get "Dawn of ARTPOP"

Not gonna lie, that would be very cool for me to get released, but DJWS knows exactly what he's doing so if we're getting another remix album he better be prepared to receive A LOT of negative comments

Archived