Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

DJWS teases something 'special' for ARTPOP's anniversary

Auralegends

Featured Posts

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see people say that Gaga was going through a rough time during ARTPOP. What was wrong with her? Did she mention it in interviews or social media? 

I loved ARTPOP when it came out, but I didn't follow her personal life back then so I really don't know.

Anderson123
16 minutes ago, Frost said:

I see people say that Gaga was going through a rough time during ARTPOP. What was wrong with her? Did she mention it in interviews or social media? 

I loved ARTPOP when it came out, but I didn't follow her personal life back then so I really don't know.

She was dealing with the trauma of being abused/r*aped by a producer (Swine), the consequences of wanting to express that anger doing something controversial (Do What U Want) instead of going to therapy (she later did), she fired her manager Troy Carter on the release date of the album because they made her a money making machine and all they care about was heavy promo, more money and just exploit her brand. All of this while doing hard drugs.

17 minutes ago, Frost said:

she talks about it during her zane lowe interview for Joanne, there's also a Cheek To Cheek era interview where she talks about troy leaving her and she starts to cry a bit

basically a lot of interviews/talks she did around 2014/15 she discusses how unhappy she was and why. that talk she did at a university (where she has long blonde hair) is basically the turning point of when she realised she no longer wants to be a money making cow and wants to pursue things that she actually enjoys

mother, what must i do?

Mister G

10 Year re-release with a few of the unreleased demos seems likely. I’d be okay with an Act II—but I would think keep expectations balanced because what has leaked in full and in HQ to date has been rather hit or miss. Hopefully if we do finally get these we get them as finished products and not rough demos. I also think we need to be realistic that if anything is released it’s have to go through Interscope’s approval and hopefully they’re not a bunch of jerks and say no to all but like 3 tracks. Give us Tea, Onion Girl, Cake Like Lady Gaga, Partynauseous and Brooklyn Nights in full and I’ll be happy.

4 hours ago, rinasawachanta said:

It is. And the worst part is that it's not because of Gaga. I'm absolutely certain that what ARTPOP turned out to be had NOTHING TO DO with what Gaga wanted it to be. She just ended up bowing to pressure from her label and management team and making an album that was supposed to be "commercial" after BTW was interpreted as not being as successful as it could have been (bombastic hits ala Bad Romance). I think during that time she tried to sustain the experimental album narrative, as if to reinstate some control over the product, but that she eventually dropped that narrative ("I don't remember ARTPOP"). There is literally one song produced by Guetta and will.i.am (which turns out to be surprisingly the best on the album, but where it is clear Gaga's input that she managed to make something worthy out of a label-mandated collaboration). I think many of us, and especially her, know that that album is a lackluster effort, that has little and nothing to do with what she wanted to do at the time and was in a position to deliver to the world. Each and every one of her previous and subsequent musical projects are exceptional, and true works of authorship. I love that many of those who accuse me of "trashing" Gaga's work are the same ones who throw sh*t at Joanne and Chromatica (which are GREAT albums).

I'm not saying that I believe your telling of the history — there's no evidence.

But if you were right, it provides a new lens for us to look on the ARTPOP era. And through that lens, what you're arguing — that the entire album, itself, was thrust upon LG from the label — provides a super interesting way to interpret the artistic choices around ARTPOP.

Specifically I was thinking about the symbolism in GUY. Why did the protest MV get attached to the bottoms' anthem? I always assumed it to be about Troy Carter, and that the LGBT-coded aspects were just fluff. But per your reading of it: it's a comment that a submissive bottom can still be in power, i.e. I did what you asked and I'm still on top.

TBH, because I respect Gaga so much, there's really no history that I wouldn't try to interpret so ultimately I'm not the best one to ask. :P

Starmie25

Some of y'all are so negative bout this album just because it underperformed.

There's some absolute bangers on this album with their own unique character and personality - Applause, Sexxx Dreams, Venus, Mary Jane, like they deserve their shine too. Electronic!

Who cares if they're a bit overproduced, not me. Not every mainstrean song needs to be polished 70s/80s synth pop.

Starmie25
1 hour ago, Frost said:

I wasn't even a fan of her during ARTPOP but even I caught wind of the negative reception of this album and the hate she was receiving during "Applause" and dwuw fiasco 

5 hours ago, Dayman said:

You’re literally creating a head canon for how Gaga feels about ARTPOP when she continues to perform songs from it on all but one tour. JWT, Coachella, Enigma - all had ARTPOP - and album tracks at that. Enigma even had Petga brought back as a driving piece of the narrative and visuals of the show. ARTPOP went “bad” because of issues with management and her being held back from releasing the songs she wanted as singles.

She loved that album and desperately fought for control back over it and at the very end did get some of it back. But to be so contrarian about the album just to trash it is so weird. And Joanne and Chromatica are great albums. But she has said with Joanne she essentially tried making an album to fix her Dad and it didn’t work and with Chromatica that she was miserable the whole time making it had to be forced to do it and had songs turned into dance tracks that were meant to be ballads and let the producers just do whatever they wanted and she would review it.

If you want to go down the path you’re going down with ARTPOP you gotta acknowledge those. Because those 2 albums are ones that she explicitly expressed more sour feelings towards than ARTPOP as an album. Because a meme tweet of “I don’t remember ARTPOP” at a time when Bloodpop was also sending out random tweets from her account for the meme material means nothing in comparison to all of that. 

That being said maybe it’s just better to accept that ALL albums are difficult to make when you’re a global pop star. You get a ton of say because it’s your music sure - but there’s still bullet points to hit to make sure the label is comfortable finding you and continues to fund you. That is the case for every release she has ever done. Even Paparazzi exists solely because the label wanted a song with that title - so they went and made it. Doesn’t make it any less amazing of a song after all.

What ARTPOP song was on Joanne World Tour?

HarleyQuinGa2022
16 minutes ago, Staryu17 said:

I wasn't even a fan of her during ARTPOP but even I caught wind of the negative reception of this album and the hate she was receiving during "Applause" and dwuw fiasco 

At the start, APPLAUSE was receiving a lot of acclaim and many outlets were complimenting the track. She performed the song in a Wizard Of Oz themed performance on Good Morning America, she arrived with a very natural look that again received compliments. People were loving the song and then the video for it. 

Then Gaga released some of the tracks to give fans a taste of the album. Do What U Want blew up and was a fan favourite so the label decided to switch the next single to Do What U Want, originally it was supposed to be Venus, Gaga even had the music video planned and a release date for it. 

Gaga did the iTunes fest, shortly before the iTunes fest, aka SwineFest, it was revealed Gaga didn’t want to perform any old songs during SwineFest, apparently the label wanted her old songs performed. It was around that time things seemed to be getting shakey behind the scenes. 

Shortly after, I find certain fans started spewing complaints, media picked up on those complaints and ran with them and then even Gaga started believing the garbage that was being spewed. People started comparing it to Katy Perry’s new music, media picked up on that, Gaga started believing and focusing on that too. 

And then Gaga had to deal with being ditched by Troy Carter and how while she was healing from her hip injury and surgery the label and so many people around her were making demands of the music for ARTPOP, the type of album, etc. ARTPOP was originally an album about the highs Gaga was experiencing during Born This Way and the Born This Way Ball but then the album started to shift after her hip injury and when she started seeing how she was being used by people around her including Troy Carter and people she thought were friends. Even while she was in the hospital she was being pressured to work on ARTPOP. 

ChicaSkas

Literally just realized he screenshot it right as I wrote him :giveup:

Do YOU own the 4' by 6' Perfect Illusion promo Poster? Will pay you for it. Pic: http://i.imgur.com/UWuzumk

Starmie25
3 minutes ago, ChicaSkas said:

Literally just realized he screenshot it right as I wrote him :giveup:

Are you industry friends with him? That's so cool.

ChicaSkas
2 minutes ago, Staryu17 said:

Are you industry friends with him? That's so cool.

Actually I'm interning on his radio station, RainbowRadio! 

Do YOU own the 4' by 6' Perfect Illusion promo Poster? Will pay you for it. Pic: http://i.imgur.com/UWuzumk

Archived